Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
Old 12-15-14, 01:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-10, 01:48 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up but I found some issues while doing mine. I only used bits and pieces of it because i'm replacing everything with aftermarket but the power, dimmer, acc, etc connections were different for my car. I have a 97 non-nak with changer stock and the pinouts and colors were totally different. Crutchfield's pinouts however were correct for me so I think there's a difference between 97+ vs prior years.

Also, I found these "soldergrip" things at home depot. Basically heat shrink tubing with a band of solder in it. Splice your wires together, slide it over and hit with a heat gun. Instant soldered/heat shrunk connection.
Old 03-26-10, 11:12 PM
adawg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help

my stock radio plug doesn't match anything in the picture u posted rainne. I just followed the color coded posted by you and seem to be right (at least for the power 12v wires).
anyway
so i extended all the speakers wires from my after market unit and ran all the way back to trunk, but then, ....the main amp only has ONE plug and not TWO like you described. Tried to look up the colors on that one plug that i have, the colors don't match. so i took out the rear speakers/sub cover out, and don't see any amp either, as well as no PLUG like you described to make the sub work with ALL SOURCES. so now i'm stuck, don't know where to connect my extended speakers wire to.
BTW, seems like the previous owner install an aftermarket CD changer with all the weird "antenna-like" cable running directly to the antenna.

my question is, should I just run my extended speakers wire to each individual speaker and just leave THAT ONE plug on the OEM amp? and what about my sub.?
Old 04-05-10, 02:45 PM
snowfox444
Driver

What if you are hooking up separate aftermarket amp and subs in a box and NOT using the stock amp or stock subs? (the stock amp was disconnected when aftermarket alpine 6 1/5 inch rear speakers were installed.
Old 04-05-10, 04:43 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SCereal
Also, I found these "soldergrip" things at home depot. Basically heat shrink tubing with a band of solder in it. Splice your wires together, slide it over and hit with a heat gun. Instant soldered/heat shrunk connection.
Those sound pretty cool compared to trying not to burn yourself with a soldering iron inside the car

Originally Posted by adawg
my stock radio plug doesn't match anything in the picture u posted rainne. I just followed the color coded posted by you and seem to be right (at least for the power 12v wires).
anyway
so i extended all the speakers wires from my after market unit and ran all the way back to trunk, but then, ....the main amp only has ONE plug and not TWO like you described. Tried to look up the colors on that one plug that i have, the colors don't match. so i took out the rear speakers/sub cover out, and don't see any amp either, as well as no PLUG like you described to make the sub work with ALL SOURCES. so now i'm stuck, don't know where to connect my extended speakers wire to.
BTW, seems like the previous owner install an aftermarket CD changer with all the weird "antenna-like" cable running directly to the antenna.

my question is, should I just run my extended speakers wire to each individual speaker and just leave THAT ONE plug on the OEM amp? and what about my sub.?
Was your car bone stock audio-wise before you even touched it? You are rocking the Pioneer system, right? I can't really help you if it's a different setup without even seeing what it is causing the problem/dilemma.

BTW I've come across some Pioneer head units that aren't exactly like the one I have, thus I put in the "The factory Pioneer setup has a 2.5-DIN radio/cassette up front, 12-disc CD changer in the right side of the trunk, the main amplifier (“main amp”) below the CD changer and the subwoofer amplifier (sub amp) on the rear deck between the sub and the right rear speaker. If your factory head unit does not look like the one shown, I can't guarantee that you can use this thread, but it should be close." part in the first post.

Originally Posted by snowfox444
What if you are hooking up separate aftermarket amp and subs in a box and NOT using the stock amp or stock subs? (the stock amp was disconnected when aftermarket alpine 6 1/5 inch rear speakers were installed.
Then you'd install the aftermarket amp/subs just like any other aftermarket amp/subs connected to an aftermarket head unit.
Old 04-06-10, 05:52 PM
cino21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by What
I used the BHA8112 harness and 95-8157B 2 DIN kit to install an Alpine INA-W900 RCA level into the factory Nak amp. No output from subwoofer as per normal. I have searched this site and others in an attempt to get the factory sub to play but have not found any info. 1998 SC400 with "Nakamichi Premium Sound System" printed on factory deck. N804 on cassette door. Numbers 86120-24301 and C740UL0A on the back.

anyone have an answer on how to get the sub working for the alpine unit....
Old 05-03-10, 07:08 PM
koolcat
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you guys do this, does it sounds better than the oem cd player? Is the sounds worse or is it better than oem pioneer deck?
Old 05-05-10, 10:08 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Rainey, I got a questions for you, my stock hu is working fine but my amp is fried, I already removed the amp and the cd player, and everything is disconnected, there are 4 plugs, 3 to the amp and 1 to the cd player. Now is it possible to just bridge the speaker wires that go to the amp from hu, (amp input) with the speaker wires that go out of the amp(output to speakers)I am not talking about the sub. Basicly what I am trying to do is to keep the stock hu pushing the the stock 4 speakers first, and then add an amp for a new sub only.
Is it possible to do it this way

Thanks

Garen
Old 05-22-10, 07:13 PM
trackball
Rookie

Originally Posted by daweeze02
Okay got everything installed, thanks for the writeup. My antenna goes down when I turn the car off but not switch from radio to aux, cd etc but thats no biggy. I still need to pull out the metra kit and make some room in the back because the left side of my dash molding is sticking out about 2 cm's for some reason.
I have a similar problem. My power antenna goes up each time I turn the car on, no matter which input I am using on my new head unit (Pioneer X920BT). My car is a 1997 SC400.

I connected the two wires as outlined on this article to the blue "antenna" wire on this head unit's cable harness. I am guessing this has something to do with it. Looking at the Pioneer manual, I found the following note :

"Be sure not to use this lead as the power supply lead for the auto-antenna or antenna booster. Such a connection could cause excessive current drain and malfunction."

My question is, how should the wires be connected from the head unit to the factory harnesses so that the Pioneer head unit only raises the antenna when the AM or FM tuners are in use?

The head unit's blue wire doesn't sound like it is sending a signal when the radio (AM or FM) is being used, but rather sending a signal to tell amps to turn on or off whenever the head unit is powered up.

Also, my stock Pioneer head unit had TWO antenna wires connected to it, but the second one was smaller than your normal size car antenna lead. I am guessing this is for the rear window antenna. Is there any way to connect this alongside or instead of the normal-sized connector? I am wondering about having it instead of the stock power antenna in case I need to go that route.
Old 05-22-10, 10:47 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trackball
I have a similar problem. My power antenna goes up each time I turn the car on, no matter which input I am using on my new head unit (Pioneer X920BT). My car is a 1997 SC400.

I connected the two wires as outlined on this article to the blue "antenna" wire on this head unit's cable harness. I am guessing this has something to do with it. Looking at the Pioneer manual, I found the following note :

"Be sure not to use this lead as the power supply lead for the auto-antenna or antenna booster. Such a connection could cause excessive current drain and malfunction."

My question is, how should the wires be connected from the head unit to the factory harnesses so that the Pioneer head unit only raises the antenna when the AM or FM tuners are in use?

The head unit's blue wire doesn't sound like it is sending a signal when the radio (AM or FM) is being used, but rather sending a signal to tell amps to turn on or off whenever the head unit is powered up.

Also, my stock Pioneer head unit had TWO antenna wires connected to it, but the second one was smaller than your normal size car antenna lead. I am guessing this is for the rear window antenna. Is there any way to connect this alongside or instead of the normal-sized connector? I am wondering about having it instead of the stock power antenna in case I need to go that route.

After reading the Pioneer manual, the blue/white wire is for both external amps AND the power antenna control. It seems that the output will occur as soon as power is activated on the head unit. Use a 30A relay and activate both together. I dont see an alternative right now to allow the antenna to activate only when the radio is turned on with this head unit.
Old 05-25-10, 12:30 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for a great writeup Raine, I used a metra wiring kit
but didn't use the rca's from the kit (it was impossible to bridge the wires in the trunk)
I ran all the speaker wires to the back and tapped them to the plug in the trunk and thanks to you I'm rocking my new alpine cd 105 and a matching alpine amp :thumbsup:
Old 05-27-10, 12:11 AM
trackball
Rookie

Can anyone provide some more information about how to remove the package shelf in the back window? My car is a 1997 SC400.

Here is what I have done so far --

- Removed back seats
- Removed two "fir-tree" fasteners holding package shelf to vehicle
- Removed both plastic seatbelt retraction covers

At this point in the disassembly, I'm not clear where to go next. Raine's tutorial mentions removing what sounds like the subwoofer grille, but even if I were to do that, I don't see how the package shelf will clear the plastic coverings on the walls of the back seat area.

Any advice or assistance would be appreciated!
Old 06-17-10, 09:31 AM
bequa
Driver School Candidate

I have a 1999 Soarer

I'm tryin to install aftermarket head unit with oem speakers and amp.

I think I connected speakers, rem. ant, everythin I should, but the problem is

VERY LOW VOLUME, the oem volume **** does not do anything.

Any one got an idea?
Old 06-17-10, 07:11 PM
expansive
Driver School Candidate

Hopefully someone can answer some of the posts above and i have a question as well.

But how do you know if the amp is working? My front speakers sounds fine but only the driver side rear speaker is working in my car. The sub and passenger side speaker is obsolete lol

So how do i know if its just those that are blown or if my amp has some sort of malfunction?
Old 06-17-10, 07:50 PM
trackball
Rookie

Are they obsolete, or not working? I'm not clear on what kind of problems you're having.

My advice would be to remove the rear driver's-side speaker from its location, and connect it to the rear passenger's-side wiring. This will tell you whether the passenger side wiring or passenger side speaker are the problem.
Old 06-18-10, 04:49 PM
expansive
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by trackball
Are they obsolete, or not working? I'm not clear on what kind of problems you're having.

My advice would be to remove the rear driver's-side speaker from its location, and connect it to the rear passenger's-side wiring. This will tell you whether the passenger side wiring or passenger side speaker are the problem.
Yea i meant that they werent working. But thats a very good idea about switching the speakers around. i have nothing to lose anyway. Thanks trackball and awesome name by the way

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!