Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
Old 12-15-14, 01:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-12, 05:54 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by megamax
yes i did "will not" work with a nak unit.
Ok, good.

BTW - another forum member offered to help with the Nak setup but I can't actually start figuring it out until at least 2 weeks from now
Old 12-04-12, 02:58 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Raine!

Ok I got all the new wiring done and I have sound out of all the speakers in the car the only thing now is my amp is not turning on to power my aftermarket sub??? I have connected the power source to the battery for the amp, connected a ground wire, connected my RCA cables and remote cable but still no power light on my amp =( I did test it out when I first bought the amp to make sure it powers on and it did but now I have nothing =( I do not want to put everything back together until this is solved. Any info on this matter? All the fuses appear to be good. I am running some 8 guage wire to connect the sub to the amp. I just dont have power to my amp now which is a little confusing
Old 12-04-12, 03:41 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Devor
Hey Raine!

Ok I got all the new wiring done and I have sound out of all the speakers in the car the only thing now is my amp is not turning on to power my aftermarket sub??? I have connected the power source to the battery for the amp, connected a ground wire, connected my RCA cables and remote cable but still no power light on my amp =( I did test it out when I first bought the amp to make sure it powers on and it did but now I have nothing =( I do not want to put everything back together until this is solved. Any info on this matter? All the fuses appear to be good. I am running some 8 guage wire to connect the sub to the amp. I just dont have power to my amp now which is a little confusing
Assuming the key is in the ACC or ON position (you'd be surprised how many people forget to put the key in to turn their audio on)...

...wait - there's something missing in your description - what about the amp turn-on wire?
Old 12-04-12, 06:34 PM
NelsonSC3
Driver School Candidate

I feel like this is an extremely dumb question....
But I want to make sure I do this right
So you have to run 4 sets of speaker wire to the trunk PLUS the amp turn on wire, correct?
So you'll need 5 sets of wires running back there in total?
Old 12-04-12, 09:02 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NelsonSC3
I feel like this is an extremely dumb question....
But I want to make sure I do this right
So you have to run 4 sets of speaker wire to the trunk PLUS the amp turn on wire, correct?
So you'll need 5 sets of wires running back there in total?
4 pairs for the speakers, 1 wire for the sub amp
Old 12-05-12, 08:10 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by raine
Ok, good.

BTW - another forum member offered to help with the Nak setup but I can't actually start figuring it out until at least 2 weeks from now
fak!!! ill be dead by then.. ill try to hold on then..
Old 12-08-12, 01:18 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

Ya I have the amp powered by the battery, the ground is connected to a bare piece of metal in the trunk, and now I have to reconnect the amp control wire. There is no (turn on wire) it appears.
Old 12-08-12, 02:36 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Devor
Ya I have the amp powered by the battery, the ground is connected to a bare piece of metal in the trunk, and now I have to reconnect the amp control wire. There is no (turn on wire) it appears.
As far as I know, all aftermarket amps have a 12v power, - ground, and 12v ACC turn-on wire
Old 12-08-12, 04:02 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

Already got it working! thanks for everthing! I just need to put a spacer in the mounting bracket for the new 10" Way jazzed about this project!
Old 12-11-12, 07:12 AM
PoisonedSc
Driver School Candidate

Any one know what the stock amp puts out in the sc300 I currently just put two twelves in and im thinking of a 10 for the factory slot and as far as this post goes run your power wire next to your remote wire (turnon wire) and your RCA's which should only be two unless your running two amps like I plan to do or you are working with factory head unit but anyways the reason I say run them separate is because depending on your amp/setup you will get a whine threw you speakers some times it differs but anyways that is caused by the power wire being close to a negative (RCA speaker cable) so run them separate hope this is helpful to anyone
Old 12-11-12, 10:45 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PoisonedSc
Any one know what the stock amp puts out in the sc300 I currently just put two twelves in and im thinking of a 10 for the factory slot and as far as this post goes run your power wire next to your remote wire (turnon wire) and your RCA's which should only be two unless your running two amps like I plan to do or you are working with factory head unit but anyways the reason I say run them separate is because depending on your amp/setup you will get a whine threw you speakers some times it differs but anyways that is caused by the power wire being close to a negative (RCA speaker cable) so run them separate hope this is helpful to anyone
Jesus - put a comma in there somwhere

FYI try reading the HT again. It's punctuated, should be easy. You'll see that there are no line-level RCA cables at all running next to power wires to the trunk. The only instance of an RCA is between the sub-out on the aftermarket head unit and the OEM sun wiring behind it. The wires running to the trunk next to the remote turn-on wire are already amplified by the aftermarket head unit. So no whine at all THROUGH any speakers.

If you're running two aftermarket 12's and "plan to" run two or more aftermarket amps, then you're far from what this HT is for. And running a 10" in the rear deck off the OEM sub amp is pointless if you already have a pair of aftermarket 12's in the trunk; first of all, the OEM sub amp only pushes out about 30 watts at 1-ohm; second, leaving the OEM sub out when you have trunk-mounted subs allows the bass to get into the cabin, by way of passing up and over the fuel tank and through the OEM sub hole in the rear deck.
Old 12-29-12, 08:45 AM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Raine,

Long time lurker first time poster here! I just wanted to drop by and thank you for a well written and informative DIY! I just finished dropping in a Pioneer AVH-P3400BT and used all your advice (even down to the Epicenter, which ROCKS BTW!) and everything (and by everything I mean sub amp and antenna) works PURR-fectly!! I also used your write up on the Metra double din mod to put it in the dash. I also added a XM module to the setup which is co-located with the Epicenter where the OEM main amp used to sit.

By the way, this was in my 98 SC400.

Thank you again!

--Steve

Last edited by Helogadget; 12-29-12 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Added year and model
Old 12-29-12, 02:35 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Helogadget
Raine,

Long time lurker first time poster here! I just wanted to drop by and thank you for a well written and informative DIY! I just finished dropping in a Pioneer AVH-P3400BT and used all your advice (even down to the Epicenter, which ROCKS BTW!) and everything (and by everything I mean sub amp and antenna) works PURR-fectly!! I also used your write up on the Metra double din mod to put it in the dash. I also added a XM module to the setup which is co-located with the Epicenter where the OEM main amp used to sit.

By the way, this was in my 98 SC400.

Thank you again!

--Steve
No problem dude, glad to know this How-To is still helping people out

By the way, a note to Nakamichi peeps - I'm working on getting the wiring worked out with the help of RealSC400, hopefully I'll have a solution soon
Old 01-05-13, 04:00 PM
DarkSC300
Driver School Candidate

Raine

I have a 95 SC3 with the NAK system and with the package tray removed, and the Nak system removed as well as the trim in the trunk removed and rear seats removed. If you need pictures to help do a write up on how to wire the Nak system up to a double din touch screen, im more than welcome to help u with that. I have plenty of wiring equipment to make it look how it should. I have plenty of heat shrink, t-taps and i have spools of wire that I had from Harbor Freight along with all kinds of other stuff including a test light and multimeter.

http://www.harborfreight.com/400-ft-...ouse-3384.html

Thats the wire kit.

Lets do this so I can have a radio in my car lol. Just let me know what you need. Everything is all factory and present. Only thing that has been done is I fixed all the broken wires that were cut by previous owner and rewired everything back to its factory locations.

Last edited by DarkSC300; 01-05-13 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-07-13, 08:20 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DarkSC300
Raine

I have a 95 SC3 with the NAK system and with the package tray removed, and the Nak system removed as well as the trim in the trunk removed and rear seats removed. If you need pictures to help do a write up on how to wire the Nak system up to a double din touch screen, im more than welcome to help u with that. I have plenty of wiring equipment to make it look how it should. I have plenty of heat shrink, t-taps and i have spools of wire that I had from Harbor Freight along with all kinds of other stuff including a test light and multimeter.

http://www.harborfreight.com/400-ft-...ouse-3384.html

Thats the wire kit.

Lets do this so I can have a radio in my car lol. Just let me know what you need. Everything is all factory and present. Only thing that has been done is I fixed all the broken wires that were cut by previous owner and rewired everything back to its factory locations.
PM me so we can get started, with your help and RealSC400 I'm confident that I can get this figured out!

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!