Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
Old 12-15-14, 01:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-12, 12:43 AM
Lex1992
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raine
Sounds like a grounding issue. Where did you ground the head unit?
i grounded it the same way you did , to that one bolt
Old 07-07-12, 12:45 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex1992
i grounded it the same way you did , to that one bolt
Does your car fit the "Compatibility Specs" on the first post?
Old 07-07-12, 12:45 AM
Lex1992
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like a grounding issue. Where did you ground the head unit?
i grounded it the same way you did , on the transmission tunnel there was a bolt there .
Old 07-07-12, 09:41 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lex1992
i grounded it the same way you did , on the transmission tunnel there was a bolt there .
Old 07-07-12, 12:47 PM
Lex1992
Driver School Candidate

yes it does
Old 07-14-12, 04:53 PM
BobetoSlim
Driver School Candidate

This is my first post here, but I have not been able to get this to work on my 97 SC300. It has the same stock head unit, and the same wiring and everything. The cd changer and sub and radio were all working prior to me taking it out. And I tried to wire an aftermarket alpine, but I won't even turn on. I grounded it the same, and made sure all of the colors matched your diagram, and for some reason it won't even turn on. Any ideas?
Old 07-15-12, 09:57 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BobetoSlim
This is my first post here, but I have not been able to get this to work on my 97 SC300. It has the same stock head unit, and the same wiring and everything. The cd changer and sub and radio were all working prior to me taking it out. And I tried to wire an aftermarket alpine, but I won't even turn on. I grounded it the same, and made sure all of the colors matched your diagram, and for some reason it won't even turn on. Any ideas?
Hmm... first things I can think of:

1. Head unit brand new?
2. All related fuses ok?
3. Are you getting power/ground/acc to the aftermarket head unit harness?
4. Did you plug everything back in (especially the plugs in the trunk at the OEM amp)?
Old 07-18-12, 09:53 AM
jgilk1
Rookie

When I get my car back I'm planning on revising this how-to to completely eliminate the OEM main amp connections, mainly to get rid of the extra baggage and wiring... and that also happens to involve directly connecting the OEM sub amp to the aftermarket head unit.

But I don't have my car back yet, so it'll have to wait
no problem i just dont want to modify wiring then later decide that i want to go another route or if and when i get bored and sell the car it doesnt have a lot of hacked and spliced stuff every where... and my thoughts are the same for the amp running the door speakers
Old 07-20-12, 05:34 PM
BobetoSlim
Driver School Candidate

Hmm... first things I can think of:

1. Head unit brand new?
2. All related fuses ok?
3. Are you getting power/ground/acc to the aftermarket head unit harness?
4. Did you plug everything back in (especially the plugs in the trunk at the OEM amp)?
1. The head unit is a brand new alpine, so I have no worries that it's broken or anything.
2. I ASSUME all the fuses are ok, because everything was working prior. But this is my first real try at wiring, so anything could have happened in the process. But I have no idea to tell if a fuse is blown or something.
3. I don't know if I'm getting power or not, because I don't exactly know what the problem is. But I assume it is a power problem, because it won't even turn on or anything.
4. And I didn't even start wire anything on the amps yet, because I wanted to make sure the head unit would turn on first before I started wire anything else
Old 07-21-12, 11:46 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BobetoSlim
1. The head unit is a brand new alpine, so I have no worries that it's broken or anything.
2. I ASSUME all the fuses are ok, because everything was working prior. But this is my first real try at wiring, so anything could have happened in the process. But I have no idea to tell if a fuse is blown or something.
3. I don't know if I'm getting power or not, because I don't exactly know what the problem is. But I assume it is a power problem, because it won't even turn on or anything.
4. And I didn't even start wire anything on the amps yet, because I wanted to make sure the head unit would turn on first before I started wire anything else
First you should check for power with a multimeter or a test light to the 12v+, ACC, and ground wires. Also, check the aftermarket head unit fuse for a break - most head units have a fuse on the 12v+ wire, some have a fuse actually on the back of the head unit itself, and some have both.

If you don't have a multimeter or a test light and/or don't know how to use one, get a buddy to help that does.
Old 07-22-12, 12:08 PM
Juiced2jz
Driver School Candidate

Im having an issue, i just installed a JVC head unit i know is good (double din dvd swapped from my is300 to 92 sc300) I followed these instructions to a T besides the subwoofer parts. My amp below the cd changed was completely water logged corroded and the wires in the clip were literally like green and broken off without even touching them lol. So i chopped off the connectors and connected the speaker wires right up to that. Skipping the whole subwoofer parts.

The head unit turns on and functions normally as it did in my IS but there was hardly any sound output. I went in and turned up the "gain" to high and tried fading around to see where the sound was coming from and the only sound im getting is the passenger door tweeter and that is it. I had the door panel off and was touching the speaker with max volume nothing is coming out same with the rear deck however i have varified the wires are connected to the speakers so wtf?? did i maybe confuse pos and neg at the trunk wiring?

Note the amps have been blown sense ive owned the car so i have never had sound in it and thus i have no idea what the previous owner did or didnt do with anything though theres no signs of tampering that i can see. Please help me figure out why only the passenger tweeter is producing sound lol.
Old 07-22-12, 01:09 PM
Juiced2jz
Driver School Candidate

Ok, well i guess i figured that issue out on my own somehow all the speakers are toast. I took bare wires direct from the head unit to the trunk and removed the rear speakers, touched the wires to the terminals and no sound came out. I took a known good speaker from my garage from a past install and touched those and boom, works fine no issues. Took a door panel off same stuff. So i then ran wires from the rear deck connector to the known good speaker and still works so its just all the speakers for whatever reason produce no sound what so ever. Ive seen a speaker die but not 5 of them, wtf???

Off to the store to buy some new ones and see what im working with

**edit**
Picked up a set of pioneers for only $40 on clearance at advance auto for 4! Installed and all issues solved and sounds really good for no sub output.

Last edited by Juiced2jz; 07-22-12 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-23-12, 10:56 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Juiced2jz
Ok, well i guess i figured that issue out on my own somehow all the speakers are toast. I took bare wires direct from the head unit to the trunk and removed the rear speakers, touched the wires to the terminals and no sound came out. I took a known good speaker from my garage from a past install and touched those and boom, works fine no issues. Took a door panel off same stuff. So i then ran wires from the rear deck connector to the known good speaker and still works so its just all the speakers for whatever reason produce no sound what so ever. Ive seen a speaker die but not 5 of them, wtf???

Off to the store to buy some new ones and see what im working with

**edit**
Picked up a set of pioneers for only $40 on clearance at advance auto for 4! Installed and all issues solved and sounds really good for no sub output.
now get that sub working
Old 07-30-12, 03:37 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

UPDATED 07-30-12:
- Added information on using home audio speaker wire for a cleaner install
- Added 4th item to parts list (15-feet of 18-ga wire)
- Updated section B. "MAIN CONNECTIONS" section
- Extensively revised sections G, H, and I

All of the updates mainly have to do with the OEM main amplifier; while rewiring my car recently I figured out that I no longer needed to keep the OEM main amplifier in the car simply by running a single wire to turn the OEM subwoofer amplifier on; previously the turn-on signal came from the OEM main amplifier harness; now the turn-on signal will come from your aftermarket head unit. All relavent steps have been updated to reflect this change.
Old 08-04-12, 03:57 PM
The2JZFTW
Rookie

Hey raine. It's been a minute. So I got the sub figured out. But I have yet another question. The sub volume on my head unit doesn't actually change the sub output volume. The sub rises with bass along with the speakers, not independent of itself. Would removing the OEM amp using your most recent update fix this? Or if not, what is going on? Again, everything works. I just want independent control of the sub.

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!