Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
Old 12-15-14, 01:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-12, 06:20 PM
The2JZFTW
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raine
Did you unplug the rear speakers when you did this? If not try that so you I now for sure if the rear speakers are what's making the sub vibrate. If the sub still moves (along with the music) with te rear speakers disconnected, then a least you know it's getting some sort of signal. If the sub doesn't move at all then you either have a bad sub, bad sub amp, or something is up with the connections from the head unit.
I did unplug the rear speaker. The front speakers are just too damn powerful. I rearranged the rear connections next to the rear right speaker though. I'm still confused as to how that goes.
Old 04-17-12, 07:30 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by The2JZFTW
I rearranged the rear connections next to the rear right speaker though. I'm still confused as to how that goes.
Maybe sort that out first, make sure you have all 4 main speakers working, with both fader and balance also working correctly. If all is good there then you can eliminate that part of the wiring and focus on just the sub-specific stuff.
Old 04-17-12, 09:30 PM
The2JZFTW
Rookie

Maybe sort that out first, make sure you have all 4 main speakers working, with both fader and balance also working correctly. If all is good there then you can eliminate that part of the wiring and focus on just the sub-specific stuff.
Sorry. Not good with words. What I meant was that all the speakers work, the only problem I'm having is knowing which wires to splice for the sub harness... All I want to clarify is that. Everything else is fine. The sub harness has 3 cables I can possibly connect. I still do not know if I am supposed to connect all 3 or 2 certain ones. Just please clarify the sub harness connections.
Old 04-17-12, 10:18 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry. Not good with words. What I meant was that all the speakers work, the only problem I'm having is knowing which wires to splice for the sub harness... All I want to clarify is that. Everything else is fine. The sub harness has 3 cables I can possibly connect. I still do not know if I am supposed to connect all 3 or 2 certain ones. Just please clarify the sub harness connections.
Um, section C step 3 explains it pretty clear I think... what part don't you understand there?
Old 04-17-12, 10:26 PM
The2JZFTW
Rookie

Um, section C step 3 explains it pretty clear I think... what part don't you understand there?
The picture contradicts your explanation. I think. All I need is "3 connections." or "2 connections." Is that too much to ask for?
Old 04-17-12, 10:28 PM
The2JZFTW
Rookie

The picture contradicts your explanation. I think. All I need is "3 connections." or "2 connections." Is that too much to ask for?
It's the antenna for all sources trick.
Old 04-17-12, 11:03 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

C. MAKE THE SUBWOOFER CONNECTION
To allow your aftermarket head unit to send a signal to the OEM sub amp, you’ll be using the RCA-to-speaker wire cable.

1. Cut the RCA-to-speaker wire to about 8-inches long (when you buy it the speaker wire cable is 24-feet long!). Now locate the D-Harness.

2. Connect the RCA-to-speaker wire cable to the D-harness, as shown below.

D-Harness
10-pin plug with 10 wires, 4 on top and 6 on the bottom, as shown below:

D-Harness Wire Color Guide
D1 black
D2 red with black stripe and silver dots
D3 purple with silver dots
D4 blue with white stripe and silver dots
D5 white
D6 no wire
D7 no wire
D8 no wire
D9 no wire
D10 yellow wire with red stripe and silver dots

Here are the wires in the plug, and what to connect from your aftermarket harness:

D-Harness Connections (pin to aftermarket harness)
D1 – connect to RCA-to-speaker wire (-)
D5 – connect to RCA-to-speaker wire (+)
(thanks to twong 82 for figuring this out!)

3. When you're done, you should have something that looks like this:

EDIT: It was pointed out to me by triumph013 that I have the positive and negative switched in the photo; the side with the white stripe is supposed to be negative, not positive. I've updated the D-Harness Connections above to reflect this. However the only thing this affects is your subwoofer phase. If you followed the original wiring and your head unit has a subwoofer phase setting, just flip it. As for me, I can't really hear the difference so I left mine as is.

4. Plug the RCA end of the RCA-to-speaker wire cable into your aftermarket head unit's SUB OUT RCA plug. Your head unit is ready to send a signal to the OEM sub amp. But, we’re not quite done yet here.
Now what part are you getting confused about exactly? And this time be specific with your explanation, your posts are too vague for anyone to understand... you're asking about "3 connections" or "3 connections" - how am I supposed to understand what that is without a photo or a better explanation? I'm trying to help you here but you need to explain your problem much clearer dude.
Old 04-17-12, 11:33 PM
The2JZFTW
Rookie

Now what part are you getting confused about exactly? And this time be specific with your explanation, your posts are too vague for anyone to understand... you're asking about "3 connections" or "3 connections" - how am I supposed to understand what that is without a photo or a better explanation? I'm trying to help you here but you need to explain your problem much clearer dude.
This iPhone limits my ability to do so greatly. The Antenna for all sources trick. In between the Sub and the rear right speaker. There is G4 and G6 aka a blue and grey wire. Am I supposed to splice the grey wire coming from the rear to the blue wire, or both grey wires to the blue wire? *sigh* I really am sorry for the vagueness...
Old 04-18-12, 03:45 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

This iPhone limits my ability to do so greatly. The Antenna for all sources trick. In between the Sub and the rear right speaker. There is G4 and G6 aka a blue and grey wire. Am I supposed to splice the grey wire coming from the rear to the blue wire, or both grey wires to the blue wire? *sigh* I really am sorry for the vagueness...
"You'll be working with G4 and G6."

Follow the plug diagram. You can have 1,000 wires, but there's only one in G4 and one in G6.
Old 05-14-12, 04:18 PM
NYsNumba1M
Driver School Candidate

Amazing write up, will be using this in the future for sure.
Old 05-14-12, 07:30 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NYsNumba1M
Amazing write up, will be using this in the future for sure.
no problemo
Old 05-31-12, 04:18 PM
The2JZFTW
Rookie

Hey, it's me again. Got everything sorted out. Thanks for all the help. Now there's one last thing I need to ask. My head unit has an option to raise the subwoofer volume up as an option, similar to bass, mid, and treble. I was messing around with it (Kenwood KDC 252U) but the changes in volume yielded no change in sound. Now is this because I didn't wire the sub right or is it because the sub amp won't allow changes?

Thanks in advance again.
Old 06-01-12, 05:09 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, it's me again. Got everything sorted out. Thanks for all the help. Now there's one last thing I need to ask. My head unit has an option to raise the subwoofer volume up as an option, similar to bass, mid, and treble. I was messing around with it (Kenwood KDC 252U) but the changes in volume yielded no change in sound. Now is this because I didn't wire the sub right or is it because the sub amp won't allow changes?

Thanks in advance again.
If you're using the OEM subwoofer amp and subwoofer "as is" (meaning straight to the aftermarket head unit with no processing in between) you'll learn that the OEM subwoofer wasn't that loud to begin with... it's even lower now because the aftermarket head unit is driving your main speakers a lot louder than the OEM head unit.
Old 06-01-12, 09:55 PM
The2JZFTW
Rookie

But wouldn't I at least be able to hear an audible difference between the -15 and +15 settings for the subwoofer volume?
Old 06-02-12, 02:25 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

But wouldn't I at least be able to hear an audible difference between the -15 and +15 settings for the subwoofer volume?
Hmm... I'd suggest to disconnect your door and rear deck speakers, turn the stereo on, play some bass-heavy music, then play with the controls to see if there is any output at all.

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!