Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
Old 12-15-14, 01:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!

Old 07-17-11, 02:03 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Egone
awesome write up worked perfectly in my 92 sc400
Old 07-18-11, 03:12 PM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Hello Club Lexus members. Great job on the thorough DIY! However, if you decide to go for a plug and play solution, you may also check out our product - Beat-Sonic SLA-10B: http://www.beatsonicusa.com/sla-10b.html

If you have any questions, please ask!

Thanks!

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/
Old 07-18-11, 03:21 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BeatSonic
Hello Club Lexus members. Great job on the thorough DIY! However, if you decide to go for a plug and play solution, you may also check out our product - Beat-Sonic SLA-10B: http://www.beatsonicusa.com/sla-10b.html

If you have any questions, please ask!

Thanks!
wowzers $240??
Old 07-19-11, 03:28 PM
FurySC400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rysingsun
i figured thanks guess he wont be having a sub woofer then. Its just weird how it has a sub but no sub amp i dunno if it was ever working but it was connected red and a black wire pretty thick too.
If your friend has a 92 SC400 with the OEM Pioneer deck and no changer, check for an amp under the the floor covering on the right side of the trunk. That's the setup I have, and after not finding find an amp under the rear deck, I looked around and found the sub amp in that alternate location. I posted a pic in Post #142, in case that helps.

Once I was able to figure that out, I got my sub to work again with an aftermarket stereo.
Old 07-19-11, 04:29 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FurySC400
If your friend has a 92 SC400 with the OEM Pioneer deck and no changer, check for an amp under the the floor covering on the right side of the trunk. That's the setup I have, and after not finding find an amp under the rear deck, I looked around and found the sub amp in that alternate location. I posted a pic in Post #142, in case that helps.

Once I was able to figure that out, I got my sub to work again with an aftermarket stereo.
Out of curiosity, you're saying that your main speakers AND sub were connected to that amp?

My OEM setup had the main speaker amp in the same location, with the CD changer stacked on top of that cage thingy.
Old 07-19-11, 05:38 PM
FurySC400
Rookie

Originally Posted by raine
Out of curiosity, you're saying that your main speakers AND sub were connected to that amp?

My OEM setup had the main speaker amp in the same location, with the CD changer stacked on top of that cage thingy.
I doubt the F&R speakers were hooked up to that amp in the cage. When I hooked up my aftermarket stereo to the OEM connections, I was only able to get sound in the F&R speakers, but not through the subwoofer. Once I figured out how to get that subwoofer amp to fire up, I began getting sound out of the OEM sub as well. I confirmed that amp was only driving the sub by connecting and disconnecting it from its harness and observing cone movement and sound, while not seeing any change in F&R performance.
Old 07-19-11, 05:43 PM
FurySC400
Rookie

Now that I think of it, I could be wrong about the original amp not powering the F&R speakers along with the subwoofer. Perhaps you are actually right, and this one amp powered F&R and the subwoofers in 1992 SCs, rather than having a separate amp for the subwoofer as in later SCs.

Last edited by FurySC400; 07-19-11 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-22-11, 07:24 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Just as an fyi, I managed to use the 4-channel factory amp (via Metra harness) with my new headunit's pre-amp outputs without any electrical whine.

I grounded the headunit and factory harness to the point you specified located under the stereo, and used a Radio Shack ground loop isolator (needed two f/f barrel connectors).
Old 07-29-11, 01:34 PM
myfonti
Driver School Candidate

Hey raine, I spoke to some guys at cartunes and they told me to just get a new amp and.not the epicenter. Whats your take?
Old 09-09-11, 08:17 PM
skirts
Lead Lap

I have a 95 sc400 with the nap system. Can someone help me with the g4/g6 sub wiring? My sub harness plugs into the main amp and I am confused on which wires to do this to.
Old 09-10-11, 05:29 AM
skirts
Lead Lap

I meant nak system. Autocorrect fail.
Old 09-12-11, 07:44 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

IIRC Somewhere in this thread someone posted up about the Nak system... but I personally can't help you there, since this is for the Pioneer one.
Old 09-18-11, 09:54 AM
glentamur
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!
Thank you very much for this thread! Your directions are precise and clear. Worked first time. No problems '92 SC4
Old 09-18-11, 11:24 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by glentamur
Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!
Thank you very much for this thread! Your directions are precise and clear. Worked first time. No problems '92 SC4
Glad to see another successful install
Old 09-29-11, 08:50 AM
BWS
Driver School Candidate

This is an awesome post. Thank you to the author.
I actually want to keep the factory head unit because it is reliable and easy to use.

I am actually having trouble with the Nakamichi amp in the trunk.
I seem to have to buy a used replacement every 1.5 years.

I recently found the Audio Control LC8i which will convert the line outputs of the head unit into RCA outputs so that I can use an aftermarket amp.

I really appreciate all of the effort and detail in this post.
I will definately be using this to help me locate the wires I need from the factory harness.

Great job!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!