Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

HOW TO: SC300/SC400 Double-DIN Stereo Install + Metra Mod for Double-DIN Head Units

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-09, 03:47 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by twong82
I was really starting to get annoyed from hearing the console piece between the dash and the radio trim move around. I knew it would be a problem when I first installed the metra kit but I didn't really notice it until I just got coilovers.
That's exactly why I did the writeup
Old 06-29-09, 03:49 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Raine,

I wouldn't waste my time trying to "convince" people of the mod. Some just aren't going to get it and frankly don't care. I remember when I did mine I got the same responses. Does it work better with both mounts, without a doubt. Would I just use the Metra kit by itself, no.

Now take some pictures after you've just got done washing and waxing your car like most our threads and everyone will love it. Sarcasim, got to love it.

Shane

Last edited by SSmith; 06-29-09 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-29-09, 04:13 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SSmith
Raine,

I wouldn't waste my time trying to "convince" people of the mod. Some just aren't going to get it and frankly don't care. I remember when I did mine I got the same responses. Does it work better with both mounts, without a doubt. Would I just use the Metra kit by itself, no.

Now take some pictures after you've just got done washing and waxing your car like most our threads and everyone will love it. Sarcasim, got to love it.

Shane
LOL I'm not losing any sleep over it ahahah
Old 06-29-09, 06:03 PM
SC300_NW
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to wait for my front speakers and sub to come in before I do this mod. I'm getting a **** ton of signal noise since I installed the deck, I'm guessing its because of crappy shielding on the wire going back to the amp. Going to wait and install the rest of my stereo before getting behind the center console again. I'll take pics and add to your thread when I'm finished.
Old 07-02-09, 07:16 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC300_NW
Going to wait for my front speakers and sub to come in before I do this mod. I'm getting a **** ton of signal noise since I installed the deck, I'm guessing its because of crappy shielding on the wire going back to the amp. Going to wait and install the rest of my stereo before getting behind the center console again. I'll take pics and add to your thread when I'm finished.
Are you, by chance, using the Metra harness?
Old 07-02-09, 10:00 PM
SC300_NW
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using the metra harness. Have people been having problems with it?
Old 07-03-09, 01:51 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Seems like the people using the Metra harness all experience signal noise,and I'm pretty convinced it is because the OEM wiring uses a "common signal ground" for the OEM amp/speakers (where say, the front-left and front-right speakers each have a dedicated positive wire, but the negatives for both speakers are combined to one pin in the harness).

There may be exceptions, but a majority of name-brand aftermarket head units DO NOT use a common signal ground (easily identifiable because each of the aftermarket head unit's speaker outputs has its own positive and negative wires.)

By running a dedicated speaker pair from the aftermarket head unit (meaning one pair, positive and negative, per speaker) like my install HT shows, you eliminate any posibility of getting the common ground "signal noise" since you're providing each speaker output with its own pair of wires.
Old 07-06-09, 09:48 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm experiencing this also with the Metra wire harness. I'm going to run the speaker wires straight from my HU to the speakers like Raine has it in his HT when I get some free time.
Old 07-06-09, 09:54 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eyeSOARER6
I'm experiencing this also with the Metra wire harness. I'm going to run the speaker wires straight from my HU to the speakers like Raine has it in his HT when I get some free time.
Everything I've read regarding the Metra harness revolves around the "ground noise"... I still think that it's because of the common ground used by the OEM head unit
Old 07-26-09, 10:57 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SickSC
Great write up! now get a new climate control lcd.
After summer - can't have no AC in this weather not even for a day
Old 07-29-09, 05:51 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finished my install. Thanks again!!

I had to buy some M5x10mm then I used some small nuts as washers. Fit perfectly!

Old 08-02-09, 10:30 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey rain I got a question for you.... I have a double din already installed in my car but my RCA that rin from the radio to the mids n highs amp got all banged up. I am on my way out to buy some new rca wires, wanted to know if i could run them without the need to remove the center console to get the rear of the radio ????
Old 08-02-09, 01:23 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
Hey rain I got a question for you.... I have a double din already installed in my car but my RCA that rin from the radio to the mids n highs amp got all banged up. I am on my way out to buy some new rca wires, wanted to know if i could run them without the need to remove the center console to get the rear of the radio ????

Not really, unless you feel like cutting and splicing RCA's, which isn't hard but more time consuming than splicing, say, regular wires.

Otherwise I'd say just pull the head unit to install the new RCA's.
Old 08-08-09, 07:29 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did this mod today, excellent write up man. Appreciate you putting this DIY together for us. When I was trying to just use the metra plastic parts, I was like......"no freaking way I am risking my headunit on this flimsy plastic". I am glad I saw this thread.
Old 08-09-09, 12:18 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by romeo291
Did this mod today, excellent write up man. Appreciate you putting this DIY together for us. When I was trying to just use the metra plastic parts, I was like......"no freaking way I am risking my headunit on this flimsy plastic". I am glad I saw this thread.
PICS!

I think it would be cool if people who followed the How-To posted pics of the final product =)

Quick Reply: HOW TO: SC300/SC400 Double-DIN Stereo Install + Metra Mod for Double-DIN Head Units