Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

can anyone recommend me a car alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-09, 07:57 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default can anyone recommend me a car alarm?

i was thinking about getting a Scytek 5100RS alarm cause it has a pretty nice 2 way pager.

this one is going for about $150 on ebay and my friends shop can get it at the same price. anyone else that can recommend me one for about the same price?
Old 05-23-09, 05:03 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go DEI. They make Viper, Clifford, Hornet, Avital, Python, etc... They are the leader in this industry. It's exactly what your SkyTek ^^^ right there wants to be.

Go here: www.directed.com and scroll over Products, go to security and choose a company and you're on your way! Good luck
Old 05-24-09, 06:50 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

thanks basket, can u recommend me am good one for around that price range?
Old 05-24-09, 12:02 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

The Scytek units are decent for the money. You won't get into a DEI for that price. I'm assuming that you're paying that price ($150) plus paying to get it installed afterward by a qualified technician, which should run it up into the $300-350 range. To get into DEI, you're pushing $400 - installed.

Another option is Autopage. Great products, they stand behind them just as much as DEI with a lifetime warranty when installed by the dealer, and are usually at a price point that beats the Scytek (depending on where you live, of course, since NY and PA are pricey areas).

The thing to remember with security, and it doesn't matter the brand name - the best system is only as good as the installer. If your job is done correctly, even a $99 system will outperform a $900 one that is installed poorly. It pays to get someone with experience, who will take their time, and make sure it works right the first time.

Are you looking to add any features to it? Meaning windows, additional sirens, back-up battery? These are all things to consider, too. I have all of these in mine, and it's good piece of mind knowing it's not going anywhere when I park it.

Big Mack
Old 05-24-09, 06:46 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

thanks for the reply Big Mack, i just want a system that can remote start, roll windows down, trunk popper, door sensors, hood sensors and a nice two way pager. i just need a very basic system but just a little insurance for my car.
Old 05-24-09, 07:00 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
thanks for the reply Big Mack, i just want a system that can remote start, roll windows down, trunk popper, door sensors, hood sensors and a nice two way pager. i just need a very basic system but just a little insurance for my car.
What you are describing ^^^ is not a very basic system. Your installation price will be more than what you are paying for the alarm if you plan on buying a SkyTech, etc... A basic system would be lock/unlock, arm/disarm, siren, door triggers hooked up. That's what you get for around 120-150 in labor. You'll only be paying more for any extras. And, if it remote starts, it will cost more, etc...

You can find a great DEI alarm with two-way pager online for around 200. Search Viper 5900. It has a 1-mile two-way pager. Very nice system. I have one myself.

Get it and bring it to Best Buy. You can also find the window mods online for around 30 bucks. They will install those too. GL
Old 05-24-09, 07:30 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

hmm i see. well, remote start and trunk popper would really come in handy. door/hood sensors were just more of a precaution.
Old 05-24-09, 09:58 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

Door/hood sensors are standard for any alarm.

Just for example, this unit includes alarm/remote start, all sensors, and trunk pop can be added (probably for some small labor fee):
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ci_sku=9008986

Everything is included in that price ^^^.
It will save you money in the long run if you just go to Best Buy and buy the one you want and have it done there because their prices include install.

They also let you bring in your own. I think it's 200 bucks to have a two-way with siren, door triggers, hood sensor, lock/unlock, arm/disarm, remote start, etc, etc installed... Anyway, you can check out the website and see what they have. They run specials all the time. I know a lot of people who wished they would have just bought one from Best Buy with the install included. They ended up buying online and having probs or going to a local shop and having to deal with issues that nobody was able to fix etc.... Anyway, GL and I will be willing to help if you like. Feel free to ask questions.
Old 05-24-09, 10:07 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

eh...i dont know about BB installs...ive heard of people saying to stay away from it. but i may get that viper 5900 system as it looks pretty good and near the price range i was looking for.
Old 05-25-09, 12:21 AM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Clifford G5 is the way to go, this is not standard DEI stuff, strictly high end, tilt module, proximity sensor and remote start, window module is optional, no two way paging but a better system then they offer, make sure you select a good installer as these are complicated.
Old 05-25-09, 01:06 AM
fliptrix
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry I gotta ask.. what's DEI?
Old 05-25-09, 01:46 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Indio
Clifford G5 is the way to go, this is not standard DEI stuff, strictly high end, tilt module, proximity sensor and remote start, window module is optional, no two way paging but a better system then they offer, make sure you select a good installer as these are complicated.
Clifford is still DEI. It may have a few more features, but it's DEI. And after perusing the DEI site, they don't include keyless entry as a standard feature, which seems very shortsighted.

I definitely agree with getting a good installer.

eh...i dont know about BB installs...ive heard of people saying to stay away from it. but i may get that viper 5900 system as it looks pretty good and near the price range i was looking for.
BBY does a decent job in most cases. Ask to see pictures of their previous work, and tell them that you're willing to let them take their time. Ask them to show you the work before you sign off on it. The siren should be mounted facing down (prevents water that may get in from pooling in it), etc. Check the sensor, that a pinswitch has been placed under the hood, and that it's all buttoned up with tape or loom to look factory.

I agree with Basket - what you're looking for is not a basic, but more of a high end system. Buy the accessories, and expect to spend around $500-600 total, depending on the add-ons you're doing. The most basic one I recommend is a back up battery/siren. They're about $50, and should ideally be installed with the alarm.

Originally Posted by fliptrix
Sorry I gotta ask.. what's DEI?
Directed Electronics Incorporated.

They make Viper, Clifford, Avital, Hornet, and a few others.

Big Mack
Old 05-25-09, 07:29 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

looks like the most money ill be paying is for installation...just time to find a good installer in the NY area. thanks guys, u guys are verrry knowledgeable in alarm systems.
Old 05-25-09, 08:45 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

looks like the most money ill be paying is for installation...
And that is as it should be. A pretty decent rule of thumb is a 1:2 ratio for equipment:installation costs.

just time to find a good installer in the NY area.
Ah, I love it when a plan comes together.

thanks guys, u guys are verrry knowledgeable in alarm systems.
You're very welcome. Props to you for asking.

Big Mack
Old 05-25-09, 04:04 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

I agree with Mack.

GL finding an installer. The reason I recommend Best Buy is because the installers are required to have training the area before working on customer's vehicles in most cases. They are all MECP certified. This is what you want any person working on your vehicle to have is this certification. There are three different levels: Basic, Advanced, and Master. New York only has 1 Master installer and I believe it's Remy from Unique Autosports but I am only speculating. What you want is AT LEAST an Advanced installer doing the work. The difference in knowledge between Basic and Advanced is significant.

Anyway, GL with your venture! Let us know how it turns out!

Quick Reply: can anyone recommend me a car alarm?