Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Installing an aux input into the factory radio and keeping the CD Changer . . .

Old 11-24-13, 11:06 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Installing an aux input into the factory radio and keeping the CD Changer . . .

Anybody done this?? I still have a ton of CD's and the changer works great.

Car is a 1992 SC300 with the "Lexus Premium Sound". IE its not the optional Namakatchi. Has both the tape player and disc changer in the trunk.

Tired of using my tape adapter to listen to mp3's, looking for a better sounding solution. Still want to keep the factory stereo stuff, as it still sounds great(car is low mile at 72k, so nothing is really broken/worn out).

I can do some wiring myself, but tearing apart the factory radio and saudering on a circuit board is a bit beyond me.
Old 11-24-13, 11:30 PM
michaelb20
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=530037

Easiest modification I've come across to add an auxiliary option to the SC.
Old 11-25-13, 09:19 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a bit different than what I did.

There's a harness that plugs into the radio deck coming from the CD changer. Two of those wires are the audio wires from the cd changer. I basically took a AUX cable that has a red and white audio plug on one end, cut those off and tapped it into those wires.

So, if youre playing a CD and an ipod at the same time, you'll hear both...
Old 11-25-13, 01:15 PM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I just looked at the thread and I would love to do this but has anybody figured out how to do it on a Nak system?
Old 11-26-13, 12:48 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Anybody done this?? I still have a ton of CD's and the changer works great.

Car is a 1992 SC300 with the "Lexus Premium Sound". IE its not the optional Namakatchi. Has both the tape player and disc changer in the trunk.

Tired of using my tape adapter to listen to mp3's, looking for a better sounding solution. Still want to keep the factory stereo stuff, as it still sounds great(car is low mile at 72k, so nothing is really broken/worn out).

I can do some wiring myself, but tearing apart the factory radio and saudering on a circuit board is a bit beyond me.
You might be interested in the following thread to which I just replied: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...t-install.html

There were less expensive versions of the $85 aux-in I got but I wanted the best one with the on/off switch and the hidden port. If I had a "do over" I might have gone ahead with installing a double-din and losing the CD changer - except that a deck with the capabilities of the DDX470 was a lot more expensive at the time I had the aux-in installed. I originally wanted the aux-in added to my OEM radio so that I could continue using the CD changer but then realized after I had the aux-in that I didn't care about the CD changer anymore -- I had already copied all my CD's to my phone and I couldn't tell the difference in sound quality.

The Kenwood DDX470 is the least expensive Kenwood double-din with Bluetooth audio streaming