Sponsored by:

REVIEW : Pro-Fit's VSM mount for iPods in SC300/400

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-08, 04:25 AM
trackball
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow REVIEW : Pro-Fit's VSM mount for iPods in SC300/400

This review is for the Pro-Fit VSM mounting hardware as installed in my Lexus SC400. I purchased the following parts from them :

1 x VSM Mounting bracket for Lexus SC300/400 (model # LX-53-92)
1 x Easy Swivel base (model # EZ1026)
1 x MiTouch mount for the Apple iPod Touch (model # MI750)

I picked up these parts several weeks back, but only had time this past weekend to work on the car to do the installation.

The mounting hardware parts are all well built, and cleanly engineered. They state that the VSM Mount itself is tested on the '92-'94 SC300 and SC400, but it worked just fine on my 1997 SC400, and looks like it would work equally well on later years as well.

The VSM mounting bracket replaces / installs into the retractable cupholder on the dash. You remove the trim surround piece from your dash, pop the cupholder's clips loose from the back side of the trim, and then install the VSM mounting bracket in its place.

The Easy Swivel screws into the VSM mount, and then the MiTouch holder for the iPod screws into the Easy Swivel. They sort of mention this once on the instructions, but it will make your life a lot easier if you install all three parts together before reassembling the trim piece back into your dash like I did!

You could probably get by without the Easy Swivel, but after trying it both ways, I agree with Pro Fit's recommendation to pick up the Easy Swivel when you order these parts from them. The addition of this swiveling base lets you rotate your iPod from portrait mode into landscape mode, and use the iPod Touch in CoverFlow mode, so it becomes much easier to navigate while driving. The swivel also mounts the iPod on a better angle toward the driver for access and general visibility, so having it there is better than not having it.

They also make a variety of brackets for various iPods, iPhones, Satellite Radios, and other devices. These could be interchanged with a VSM mount after you installed it. These mounts can also be entirely removed from the vehicle with no damage or indication they were ever present.

The Easy Swivel normally sells for $14.95 from Pro-Fit, but they mention on their site that if you buy it at the same time as a VSM mount, and enter the coupon code "EZ" during checkout, they only charge you $9.95 for it.

The VSM for the Lexus Sc300 and SC400 normally sells for $36.95, and the MiTouch mount for the iPod Touch sells for $19.95.

I have no connection with this company other than just being impressed with a solid purchase.

PS : This install went a lot easier with some nice trim tools to help get the dash apart. I was really happy with the below set I picked up on a certain auction website; I see other types of sets also for sale that weren't there when I bought mine. Any of these trim tool kits would work better than a screwdriver (and leave less damage).

Old 05-23-08, 05:26 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Nice write-up. Pro.Fit makes good products. I'm using a Pro.Fit VSM Legend bracket with the built-in swivel to hold my sat nav - photo attached - which is infinitely more convenient that attaching the nav to the windshield with a suction cup.

Delivery from Pro-Fit was very quick and my bracket even came with a mini-CD containing instructions.

One thing I have noticed about the Pro.Fit compatibility chart is that it is overly conservative when it specifies which brackets work on which cars.

Due to it's design, I suspect that the Pro.Fit VSM Legend "MV-50-03-L" specified for certain years of Toyota and Lexus cars could used on just about any vehicle.

I also bought an inexpensive "dash trim removal tool" from Pro.Fit - works much better than a screw driver or putty knife.
Attached Thumbnails REVIEW : Pro-Fit's VSM mount for iPods in SC300/400-gps-small.jpg  
Old 05-23-08, 10:04 AM
trackball
Rookie

That's good to hear -- having some lame suction cup or sticky glue pad on my dash were why I wanted their kind of mount, and it really did the job nicely. I am going to email them about updating their year list for this particular mount -- I am sure they could sell more of them if people knew it fit their later year cars as well as the earlier ones they mention.

Again, this isn't a $5 purchase (or 5 minute install) like a suction cup would be, but it is solid, clean, and well made.
Old 03-30-11, 06:40 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I am only bringing this thread back from the dead to make an addition to the information listed here. From the look of it, the Pro-Fit bracket is a good VSM solution for SC300/400's.

I just got a 300/400 specific Panavise mount in the mail today and attempted to install it. I am in favor of the Pro-Fit and against the Panavise for two reasons:

1) The choice of location is just to the right of the transmission shifter. Automatic SC's may have no clearance issues but 3rd and 5th gear did on my 5-speed. Panavise sells extensions that can be used vertically as well as horizontally but they cost almost as much as the mount itself.

2) The shift bezel has very tight clearance to the lower console when snapping it into place. The bracket was about 85% close to conforming with the console area but I was not able to snap the bezel's right tab into place. Solution to this would be to trim the bezel. Also, mounting requires drilling a small second screw hole in the lower bezel but that's no big deal by itself (the shift bezel would cover this up).

I bought a Panavise because their product worked VERY well on my '00 Prelude. I don't feel their VSM part is thought through well for the SC300/400 especially if you have a manual transmission model or 5/6-speed swap.

I'll be returning the Panavise for a refund and ordering the Pro-Fit model.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-04-11 at 02:20 AM. Reason: grammatical error/wording
Old 04-21-11, 12:06 AM
KahnBB6

Here are a couple of pictures of the Pro-Fit VSM mount in my car. Overall it's very well designed. The location is perfect and mounting my Garmin does not block the A/C controls. I also used an Arkon 4-hole AMPS mount with a 17mm ball for use with Garmin devices.

Part numbers are:

Pro-Fit LX-53-92
Arkon APGN-VSM

Old 02-11-16, 03:10 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Sweet, I think i am next.
Can you chance whats mounted easily? From iPad mini to iPhone?
Old 02-11-16, 07:37 PM
KahnBB6

for the Pro-Fit VSM? Anything from the size of a cellphone to a standalone GPS. Really any device that's the same general size. VSM plates are standardized and you should be able to find a mount for almost anything. The one pictured is an aftermarket mounting ball specifically for my model Garmin. You can mount anything to them.

However I think an iPad would be pushing it in this application. Not because it won't sit there but because of the tendency to squeak and rattle... although I have to admit I never creatively tried rubber washers underneath the metal washers. I wouldn't want tremendous weight on this thing but I do think it would take much more than an iPad hanging off it to harm anything.

Maybe something the size of an iPad Mini would be ideal?

Also, keep in mind that with a rectangular device the size of the Garmin pictured you are ever so slightly coming close to blocking the HVAC controls on the right side. Not quite but close. With a bigger and wider device you'd most certainly block them. Universal VSM mount extensions do exist (even from Pro-Fit themselves) and they are very good kit but you would be moving the obstruction to block your glove box from opening or if you mounted the extension plate downward you might get closer to the gearshift. I'm actually not sure on the last one-- never tried it or needed to.

Plenty of options, Studiogeek.
Old 01-04-17, 08:30 AM
faberj12
Driver School Candidate

Reviving this thread for a quick question--anyone use the VSM mount on a '98 sc400? I see the top post is a '97 but the '98 has a different look to the shifter it so I'm wondering if there are any other small changes that would make this not work. Thanks!
Old 01-28-20, 08:17 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Where did you guys buy these mounts? Are they discontinued?
Old 01-28-20, 09:35 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Where did you guys buy these mounts? Are they discontinued?
Hey! I believe I bought each of the mounts directly from Pro-Fit International’s and Panavise’s websites respectively.

To my knowledge they are not discontinued but I haven’t checked in a while.

I recommend the Pro-Fit Intl mount. It’s just a better fit and better placement in the fold-out cupholder location vs the Panavise mount going just off the shifter bezel location.

For an automatic SC the Panavise probably is fine with a little minor fitment notching but for a manual SC it kind of gets in the way of one’s hand on the shifter in that location even though it technically will fit.
Old 01-28-20, 09:57 PM
KahnBB6

I just looked up both Pro-Fit International’s and Panavise’s websites.

Panavise still lists their 92-00 SC300 (LHD only) mount as being available for about $33 before shipping. A universal plate extension to offset the VSM mount further away from the shifter would be extra.

On Pro-Fit’s website I wasn’t able to look up any vehicle specific mounts at this time. All they listed in their menu was universal mounts and semi truck mounts. I don’t know what may or may not have changed with them but I would take down the part number I listed in an older post in this thread and call them directly to ask if it can still be bought.

Barring that maybe a couple of random online stereo stores may have them as old stock or maybe one will be on ebay.

If Pro-Fit has gotten out of the custom car mount for VSM plate business it is disappointing. They have always made top notch products.

Old 02-06-20, 05:15 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks for the reply man. Pro Fit still makes vehicle specific mounts for regular passenger cars. I talked to them and they said the SC300/400 specific mount was discontinued due to lack of sales. Sucks but it is what it is.
Old 02-06-20, 05:37 PM
KahnBB6

Aw man... that sucks : ( I can only suggest hunting on ebay for one at this point.

I still have the one I bought years ago but I keep it around for whenever I do long road trips where a Garmin unit needs a spot.

Have you tried Panavise, then? Theirs for the SC300/400 should work with some notching and for manual SC’s it just needs an extension to offset the VSM mounting plate a few inches into the passenger area.

I did use theirs years ago and mapped out that solution before moving on to Pro-Fit’s mount.

For what it’s worth as a small caveat for the Pro-Fit, it needs some secure rubber isolators worked into the mount to prevent extremely annoying metal on plastic squeaking that I got with my semi-stiff suspension. Perhaps a minor gripe but things like that wear on you over time.