Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

question for the experts- 97 ES300 has a constant whine with aftermarket stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 12:30 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default question for the experts- 97 ES300 has a constant whine with aftermarket stereo?

I have a question for the audio experts...

I have knowledge of stereo systems...not an expert but some knowledge..

Ok here is the question --and any insight or solutions would be greatly appeciated also ..PLEASE EXPLAIN in PLAIN SIMPLE ENGLISH as much as possible.

OK here is the set up- I have a 1997 ES300 - stock Pioneer system, of which I have added some amps to -

Currently I have Alpine 4 chan amp being fed from the stock amp (not from the Head unit aka radio) the stock amp had the speaker wire outputs , so thats why I used that to feed my amp....

I went into my alpine's "speaker level" input wires from the factory amp and then fed the speakers to the car.
The amp is grounded to the body , the constant power is run from the battery to a 1farad cap. then feeding the alpine- the remote wire is run from the radio ACC power line.

Issue is I get a whine --I think its an alternator whine --when the car is on and I have the amp on (which comes on with the car) the whine goes up in pitch as the rpms go up- which is why I think its an alternator whine.

Thing is how do I get rid of it?
I have heard people say i have a ground loop--which I dont know what it is or how to solve it...It would be nice for someone with extended knowledge who could tell me thae simple fix..

YES i have tired line converters but the whine is still there..

any ways thanks in advance
if i LEFT something out please ask me...Im looking for some help..everything works fine...but that whine is annoying when the radio is at low volume.
Old 05-14-08, 01:44 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

nobody?????
Old 05-16-08, 01:55 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

bump in hopes of some insight...
Old 05-16-08, 05:13 PM
icedowt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

either you have a bad ground. your rca's are messed up. or your signal going into your amp is not clean you might have to hook it up up before the stock amplifier. sorry if this is no help
Old 06-17-08, 08:49 PM
ebnub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a Kenwood KDC-X792 head unit radio into my 94 ES300 using the Metra 70-8112 and experienced immediate alternator whine noise. The noise would go away when I unplugged the RCA's from the pre-outs. I tried using a Metra part that you attach to the power wires which didn't do anything, I also tried making a new ground which did nothing. So I went to Wal Mart and bought two Scoche noise isolators for $26 total and the problem was solved! One end of them plugs into the RCA inputs on the wiring harness and the other end of them plug into the pre-outs of the head unit. I'm not sure if these are the same thing as a ground loop isolator but they did say on the package "used in cases where there is ground loop". One thing I did notice though is that the bulky part of the isolators have to be located away from any power cables behind the dash otherwise you'll get a whole new noise. Start up the car and see what I mean. So I wedged them between the lower storage pocket that came with the new Metra install kit and the cupholder/ashtray unit. This is using all stock equipment after the headunit, including the stock amp under the passenger seat.

If the noise isolators didn't work my next step was going to be making a new ground for the stock amp under the passenger seat along with the new one I made on the head unit... and if that didn't work... F- IT! I was searching before digging into all this to see what other people's experiences were with alternator noise and didn't find a whole lot so I thought I would add my own. Hope it helps somebody out in the end. Ok bye.

Last edited by ebnub; 06-17-08 at 10:21 PM.