Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Removal of Rear Seat, Install of Amp -- Part 1

Old 02-04-02, 07:08 PM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by DuB

Does anyone know if it's safe to mount the amp on top of the gas tank? I'm going to secure it to a piece of MDF obviously, but is it safe to have an electronic device so close to the gas tank?
Originally, that was what I was going to do. But I couldn't find a good way to mount the MDF into the car, so that's why I put my amplifier under the CD-changer.

Anyway, I don't know if it's okay to put the amplifier that close to the fuel cell. However, my subwoofer magnet sits right on the top of the fuel cell and so far (knock-on-wood) it hasn't given me any problems relating to fuel delivery.
Old 02-04-02, 08:01 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad you all like the pics -- I feel like my install was a bit ghetto -- I haven't been able to work on it. My little bro broke his leg right above the knee the day after I posted all this. So I've been a bit preocupied. (He needed to have surgury to put pins in his bone and other stuff -- very glad to live right outside Boston right about now!).

But anyhow, If you guys would like, I'll do another digi-pic post of running the 4 gauge wire up through the trunk through the firewall grommet, inside the wheel well and up into the engine bay. Ya'll like that?
Old 02-04-02, 08:27 PM
cupete
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go for it!

It will be nice, thanks.

Peter~
Old 02-04-02, 09:07 PM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by SupraCoup3
I'm glad you all like the pics -- I feel like my install was a bit ghetto -- I haven't been able to work on it. My little bro broke his leg right above the knee the day after I posted all this. So I've been a bit preocupied. (He needed to have surgury to put pins in his bone and other stuff -- very glad to live right outside Boston right about now!).

But anyhow, If you guys would like, I'll do another digi-pic post of running the 4 gauge wire up through the trunk through the firewall grommet, inside the wheel well and up into the engine bay. Ya'll like that?
Sorry to hear about your brother. Hope he gets healed soon.

I would love to see the run also. In the short future, I will be re-running my amplifier power cable also, so that would be very helpful.
Old 02-04-02, 11:06 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Please do, I have been wondering where to run an amp wire. Will someone please post pics on how to clean out the power steering filters? I would myself but work and school take up too much. No garage time for me.
Old 02-05-02, 01:39 AM
DuB
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

I finally finished putting in everything. I just have to clean up some wires, put all the panels back in, and make a little box to mount the remote gain control in.

I'm pretty sure the stock sub is 5 ohms because it had that stamped on the bottom of the magnet. I didn't check the other speakers though, but 4 ohms is basically the industry standard for mids and highs.

I ended up using a full range signal from the front speakers and the crossover on the amp because I didn't know the crossover points for the stock system. I was worried that the front speakers would have a high-pass xover on them but they didn't.

I made an amprack that hung from the rear deck that didn't come out exactly as I planned, but it worked. I'll post pics as soon as my friend transfers them off his camera for me.
Old 02-05-02, 09:45 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

hey dub, please post pics of the amp rack. how did you make it stay on the rear deck? does anyone have a good way to have an amp rack in the trunk with FULL access to the spare tire easily??? That's my biggest concern. I've tried everything possible, anyone?
Old 02-06-02, 01:50 AM
DuB
Intermediate

I just posted up some more pictures today.
http://community.webshots.com/album/30530666hJdRMKKCdm

I'll post more once my friend sends them to me.
Old 02-06-02, 03:03 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Good JOB! DuB, very nice.
thanks
Old 02-06-02, 09:04 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up DUB

Great install pics and info attached with it...
Old 02-06-02, 12:52 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ATT: Do-luck

I'll be posting pics of my install as soon as I get to the scanner. I used the existing panel that covers the gas tank and incorporated my amp rack to it. Took up 4 inches of depth and 30 inches accross. Just finished installing plexi, waiting on JL Sticker for plexi. It was actually very easy to do and I have all dimensions written down. Also moved trunk light inside enclosure so still lights up trunk when opened. Taking detailed pics this weekend when weather clears up.

Shane
Old 02-06-02, 10:30 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

thanks shanE!
i've tried to make brackets to connect onto the holes near the gas tank, but no adieu. keeps shaking and vibrating due to road conditions. i need something solid and sturdy. any info is greatly appreciated. if you need anything, just let me know!

Old 02-07-02, 02:13 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default 3rd brake light

hey guys, on my 92 its a real pain to get the 3rd brake light out. i have everything out and ready to go, but the wiring is connected weird. if you could tell how you got your wires out that would be great

Kevin
Old 02-07-02, 02:36 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default a

this is the wiring that im tlaking about.
Old 02-09-02, 05:53 AM
DuB
Intermediate

do-luck, for the install I did, there's two plates in the rear deck, one of which I popped out. that's where I passed the bolts through for the amp rack. the bolts prevent the amprack from shaking and if my sister was ever to get in an accident, I'm sure the amprack would stay where it is. I'm not sure if I explained the amp rack well, but I'l draw it out.

lex coupe, my sister's SC didn't have the third brake light. Sorry I can't help ya =/

I finally finished the install. Last thing to do was to build a little pod to mount the LPL44 (remote gain control).
I added those pics to the picture album. My friend still hasn't sent me the pics from the construction of the amp rack but I'll post those up as soon as he does.
http://community.webshots.com/album/30530666hJdRMKKCdm

Hopefully the picture I attached will clarify how I mounted the amprack since it is kind of a strange way to mount an amp. It was the first thing I thought of when I wanted to secure the amp to the rear deck, but right-side-up. The weatherstripping I used was 3/4" wide, about a 1/4" thick, and minimal compression. *1 in the picture is the weatherstripping to seal the hole where the plate used to cover up. it also helps absorb downward shock. *2 in the picture is weatherstripping mainly to absorb upward shock. I used 1/4" bolts, rubber washers, steel washers, and locknuts all around. if I remember correctly, the short bolts in the picture are 2 1/2" inches long, and the long ones are 5".

Well, compare the drawing to the actual pictures and hopefully everything will be clear The only difference is that the very top small piece of 1/2" MDF is actually white w/ grey stains on it, not black in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails Removal of Rear Seat, Install of Amp -- Part 1-diagram.jpg  

Last edited by DuB; 02-09-02 at 06:00 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removal of Rear Seat, Install of Amp -- Part 1