Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Speaker Install SC430

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-09, 10:50 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whitels
Good positive reviews. The only 8-ohm rated 6x9 they carry. Has anyone installed this?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...37&ctab=2#Tabs

If you try these... make sure to let us know how they work out
Old 11-18-09, 05:04 PM
dfwgs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you zgone for writeup, i ordered a pair of 6 1/2 to replace the front 6*9. can't wait for them...

i ordered the following, hope they sound good. i'm looking for more bass:
Pioneer C16LU20-51F 6-1/2" Woofer
Old 12-19-09, 08:07 AM
apujols
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whitels
Good positive reviews. The only 8-ohm rated 6x9 they carry. Has anyone installed this?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...37&ctab=2#Tabs
I got these from Parts Express a week ago to replace the two front door speakers in my 2004 RX330 w/ ML after both of them wore down. With some minor fabrication I got them to fit perfectly. They sounded incredible compared to the ML 6x9's, but when I went to roll down the window the over-sized magnet interfered with the window and prevented it from rolling down properlly. I was very sad about this and ended up having to send them back to Parts Express then get the factory ML 6x9 at $200. There aren't a whole lot of 8ohm 6x9's out there and this was my attempt to avoid paying $200 for a $20 speaker. In the end the dealership won. Thanks Lexus!

Old 12-19-09, 08:54 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You could always make yourself a spacer ring. That should pop the magnet up enough to clear the window.

And now you found out first hand on how junky the ML speakers really are!
Old 12-31-09, 05:30 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Just finished the amp, sub and rear drivers upgrade

I just completed the install of the new subwoofer, amp and rear drivers last night. All three were dried out (blown?) in our '02 SC. I had upgraded the front woofers this summer and I guess the back speakers couldn't handle the extra volume since the fronts sounded so good.

This is not a minor undertaking. Total time for the install is about 16 hours or so. You probably could do it in 10-12 if you were a veteran stereo guy and weren't worried about the fit/finish as I was. I followed the directions from ZGone to a tee. They are spot on.

The sound is outstanding now with all of the speakers finally working and the sub having some punch with the new amp. Need to do some tuning of the amp/sub after a few hours of break in.

If you have an older SC chances are pretty good you have some blown/dried out speakers. It's worth every penny and second of time to do this upgrade.

Last edited by tfeni52355; 02-02-10 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-02-10, 09:53 AM
Dfowler
Driver School Candidate

Default SC 430 Door woofers

First, I want to thank GZone for the great article.
I just removed my passanger door panel in out a half hour following his advice. The hardest part was removing the switch panal in the door. Once I figured that out, it was easy.
I have already ordered 2 Eminence ALPHA 6A 6" Mid Range Speaker 100 Watt 8 Ohm and I also found 6x9 to 6.5" speaker adaptors for the SC 430 on e-bay. When they arrive I'll let you know how they work.
Needless to say my speaker was also blown so I will replace both.
Old 01-14-10, 12:26 AM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a bit of semantics, but these speakers that have their surroundings deteriorating are not "blown". A blown or "fried" speaker is one where the voice coil is heated up (by being overpowerd) and melts (hence the term fried) so that the cone can no longer freely move air. Blown speakers cannot be repaird (or at least cost more to fix than to replace). These speakers that are deterioarating at the surroundings would fall apart this way even if they were never played. They just deteriorate over time naturally due to the elements of the weather.

But anyway, these stock speakers suck in everyway possible and are WAY over priced!
Old 01-14-10, 10:44 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The ML stuff is even worse....makes the Nak and stock Pioneer speakers look like endurance champs by comparison.
Old 01-21-10, 07:38 AM
Dfowler
Driver School Candidate

Default Speaker and Adaptors

I replaced the 6x9 door speakers with Eminence Alpha 6A 6" speakers and 6x9 to 6" speaker adaptors I got from "mjmautoinnovations" on e-bay. The adaptors are specific for the SC430 and worked GREAT and at a price that I couldn't make them myself. The speakers fit without any window problems. I replaced the second door speaker in less than 30 minutes once I had the first door done.
Old 02-03-10, 02:30 PM
daryltrinh
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone happen to know the mounting diameter of each speaker?
I'm most interested in the dimension for the front door squawkers.

Thx.
Old 02-10-10, 10:33 PM
daryltrinh
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daryltrinh
Does anyone happen to know the mounting diameter of each speaker?
I'm most interested in the dimension for the front door squawkers.

Thx.
Nevermind, It's about 1.25" deep.
3" diagonal mounting diameter.

I'm having trouble removing the door handle from the panel.
Can anyone give me a little guidance?

Thx.
Old 03-06-10, 05:42 PM
MARGAR
Driver School Candidate

wanted to thank all the SC430 lovers for all the valuable information about how to solve the issue with the bad factory 6x9 speakers on these cars. I was able to replace mine with a pair of Alpine SPS-609. these speakers are not the top of the line but they do give a top of the line sound. I am satisfied with the results.

thanks again for all the info.

Martin
Old 03-07-10, 12:42 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MARGAR
wanted to thank all the SC430 lovers for all the valuable information about how to solve the issue with the bad factory 6x9 speakers on these cars. I was able to replace mine with a pair of Alpine SPS-609. these speakers are not the top of the line but they do give a top of the line sound. I am satisfied with the results.

thanks again for all the info.

Martin
These are 4-ohm rated speakers. How are the amps holding up? Did it affect loudness?
Old 03-11-10, 10:48 PM
MARGAR
Driver School Candidate

so far all i have noticed is a much more improved sound quality. Am not the type that turns the volume high to bust me ear membranes, i turn it load enough to get a goos music sound, Love it so far.
Old 03-19-10, 01:41 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

I finished my installation last night for the two front speakers. I used 6-1/2" Jamo speakers, $9 each from Paarts-Express. This is a Swedish made speaker who 15-20 years ago tried to compete with Bose by offering lineups against the Accoustimass. Good sounding but never really gained ground due to lack of name recognition.

Here's the speaker

Sound is very good quality. Tight bass and sound can be loud when cranked up. The thud thud thud of the bass can be felt strongly when your arm is resting on door armrest.

Some notes on installation:

1. The plastic garnish on the door window switch cluster breaks *very easily*. I snapped the plastic on both Left and Right. I think my screw driver is too thick for the job. One might be better off using a butter knife. It can also break when installing so be really careful. I will post picture later. Brand new, the part costs around $300 on the driver side and $85 on the passenger side.

2. The replacement can be made without completely removing the door panel. After removing all the screws and tabs, lift below and raise the panel enough to remove the speaker mount/holder (4 brass screws using socket #10). All work is done outside anyway (except if you are adding EDead).

3. The MDF seems too thick as an adapter. If you look inside the panel cavity before removing the speakers, there's only about 1/4" to 1/3" clearance between the speaker and the door speaker plastic grill. One may use a 1/4" birch or oak plywood. Make sure you use GE Silicone II or similar when assembling the speaker to the plastic speaker mount/holder to close air gaps.

Thank you Zgone for your post and all the others who installed ahead of me.

Quick Reply: Speaker Install SC430