Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

how to install aftermarket radio in 2nd generation gs

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-12, 10:56 AM
goinverted
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I bought a new double din for Christmas and got everything out and the new HU installed before I realized this whole bypassing the amp thing. A few questions - I purchased this harness
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207017...77#details-tab
Do I still plug it into the factory wiring behind the HU and splice it into the new Clarion wiring? From what I have read I need to run wires from the deck to where the amp is. Where do I get the power/switch? Where does one purchase and extension harness to reach the glove box? I used to think I was pretty good at the whole car stereo stuff....I guess I am getting older Thanks in advance!
Old 12-28-12, 11:19 AM
rome58
Rookie

I could be wrong since I just ran an aftermarket amp and speaker wire through the door to the speakers but I believe you have to "create" a harness for the speaker wires get some wire and and run it from the aftermarket unit into the glove box and splice it there with the colors. For constant and switched power you have to splice into the stock harness blue/yellow wire is constant and grey wire on the same harness is switched power.
Old 12-31-12, 08:54 PM
brboydjr
Driver School Candidate

I just installed a jvc kw av70. You have to unplug the factory amp output and plug your wire harness in there. This will be your speaker connections. Extend the leads to the back of your head unit to make the connection on the H/U side. You'll have to get power & ACC from the plug that went yo the factory head unit.
This will basically bypass you factory amp & CD changer.
Old 01-02-13, 01:23 PM
goinverted
Driver School Candidate

Awesome! I did some work on it over the Christmas break and actually got everything working well. I made an extension with strips of speaker wire and bought some multicolored electrical tape to mark the wires. The clarion deck is in and finally I can see my screen again

I also was starting on the task of removing the stock 4" speakers with some new Polk 6.5". I tried to find somewhere online that made an adapter, but the one place on Ebay seemed a bit shady. I had a local shop cut some for me and installed them for pretty cheap. One question - when they wired the new speakers the stock tweeters are still working. Does this mean that the new front speakers are only running at 2ohms and getting half the power? Should I just run new wire from the harness I wired - through the door to the new speakers? How hard was it to run the wire through the door once the panels are off?

Now the old amp and sub questions - I thought about picking this up...
Rockford-Fosgate-PBR300X1-compact-Amplifier - and putting it where the old disc changer was. I don't need window shaking bass....just the lows. I was thinking I would try and just hook up the stock sub wires to the new amp and try that first. Otherwise I would have to by a new sub and box and run new wires to the back. Thoughts?
Old 02-17-13, 08:36 PM
Gs3SD02
Driver School Candidate

I've searched and searched but want to make sure I connect the right wire, which wire do you connect the DVD wire to the ebrake to be able to view movies?
Old 08-13-13, 05:50 PM
angelgs
Driver School Candidate

Just finish installing my kenwood double din this article really help me bypassing the amp I still use the power and ground from the old plug amd use the wires from the plug to feed the speakers back to where they used to connect to the amp and my video wire to be able to watch dvd I put it to ground.....
Old 03-10-14, 11:47 AM
Strayjj
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the write up. Very helpful.
Old 05-31-14, 07:22 AM
Lexnut430
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was a massive help.
I bought an amp bypass loom which in the picks looked perfect but I had to rewire nearly everything.

Only one question, does anyone know the wire to connect the electric aerial feed to??
Old 06-13-14, 11:10 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Electric Aerial feed? I've got an awesome DIY I've got made up, almost done putting it together. Just stuck on one small part hahaha. But what's this your talking about man?
Old 07-06-14, 08:01 AM
freshmoney
Driver

Originally Posted by GSGenesis
Electric Aerial feed? I've got an awesome DIY I've got made up, almost done putting it together. Just stuck on one small part hahaha. But what's this your talking about man?
when is the diy coming out. im getting ready to do my install. but think im missing a few steps.
Old 07-06-14, 02:06 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by freshmoney
when is the diy coming out. im getting ready to do my install. but think im missing a few steps.
Dam alright I'll go ahead and start that up, there's another DIY I'm supposed to make as well for a transmission shift solinoide but I gave this one my word first, let me bang this out today. What exactly are you missing? Mine write ups going to be on how to bypass, and how to make every connection you need off off the looms, I didn't think it was necessary for me to include how to install subs and amp as well... There's threads onnthat, but getting a double din an bypassing your stock is what it will be all about. It'll be detailed so... I coldt follow any one of these man they are just to incomplete

I may need a photo of someone's stock harness because You have to change a pins position on one of your stock plugs, I may be able to tell but I'll keep you posted and maybe you'll be able to provide me with that pic... Or actually I can just find one on here what am I saying... Lol.. Stay posted

Last edited by GSGenesis; 07-06-14 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-06-14, 02:31 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Sorry btw I said I'll go ahead and start that up, I meant finish it up, I just need to get a photo of the stock plug so I can explain which wire must be repositioned and why.... Besides that yea, I've got all photo's taken of the process, directions on how to make everything... So give me till tonight hopefully have it done k.
Old 07-06-14, 03:47 PM
freshmoney
Driver

my metra Metra 70-1761 says:

Note: In 1998-2000 Lexus GS vehicles, these harnesses connect at the
amplifier location behind the passenger's side kickpanel. The 12 Volts
Constant power, chassis ground
and speaker wires must be lengthened in
order to reach the kickpanel area
. The power antenna and 12 Volts Switched
power leads must be spliced at the radio location.

Has anyone ran there harness this way and it worked? i have only the 12v switched and dimmer going into the 6 pin, constant power and ground going to amp harness in 10 pin. Ive already made my extended harness and dont want to take it part and re do after finding out it doesnt work
Old 07-07-14, 05:08 PM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Originally Posted by freshmoney
my metra Metra 70-1761 says:

Note: In 1998-2000 Lexus GS vehicles, these harnesses connect at the
amplifier location behind the passenger's side kickpanel. The 12 Volts
Constant power, chassis ground
and speaker wires must be lengthened in
order to reach the kickpanel area
. The power antenna and 12 Volts Switched
power leads must be spliced at the radio location.

Has anyone ran there harness this way and it worked? i have only the 12v switched and dimmer going into the 6 pin, constant power and ground going to amp harness in 10 pin. Ive already made my extended harness and dont want to take it part and re do after finding out it doesnt work
All of my connections are made through the harness you make, just sit still for a min and I'll post the dam thing up, I've got this and another DIY I'm trying to make it's not easy lol, it's a lot of dam work to make these things take patience I gotta say.. But I'll try and answer your question let me double check for ya
Old 07-08-14, 03:35 PM
freshmoney
Driver

Originally Posted by GSGenesis
All of my connections are made through the harness you make, just sit still for a min and I'll post the dam thing up, I've got this and another DIY I'm trying to make it's not easy lol, it's a lot of dam work to make these things take patience I gotta say.. But I'll try and answer your question let me double check for ya
Hey i gave it shot anyways today. i just decided to just wire it.this way with the six pin power acc ill and ground going behind the stereo in 6 pin harness. and it works. but the radio doesn't turn on with the car i have to press power. when i start the car. i had this radio with my other car and it should be coming on with the car. i wonder should if running the switched and power backward cause this???

Quick Reply: how to install aftermarket radio in 2nd generation gs