Search this Thread

Old 04-09-07, 12:44 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by vstyle444
PureDrifter: can you post up my car digram also 01 gs300
01 GS3 w/o ML
only plug behind changer OR the only 8pin connector behind the amplifier, should be orange
R- =pin 6 white
L- =pin 7 Green
R+ =pin 1 Black
L+ =pin 2 Red

with ML is same colors/pins but the amp connector is the only 12pin instead of 8pin
nav/non nav doesnt matter.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 04-09-07 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-09-07, 12:54 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by DJ SprinklesNJO
where do the 4 bare wires connect to? did i read correctly that the red wires connect to the speaker line side on the amp and the black wires connect to the cd changer side??

Im confused on that part.
to clarify: the wires comming out of terminals 30 and 87a
87a will be the wires going to the cd changer (containing the CD signal) and 30 will be the output wires from the source (either aux. or CD depending on relay position) going to the amp (headunit on some models)

Originally Posted by vstyle444
did anyone did part 3 on this yet? if did how do you hook it up to switch back n fourth to changer n Ipod connection...thankz
coming up in the morning, i coulda swore i put it up already

the switching is handled by a low amp. 12v connection to the 85 and 86 terminals (opposite ends and polarity doesnt matter). no power means the CD changer is the source and when power is applied the coils in the relays are energized and the source switches to the auxillary input.

g'nite guys sorry for the wait!!
Old 04-13-07, 12:51 PM
vstyle444
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thankz for all your help PureDrifter...everything work when i hook it up with a Sony Mex-1HD w/built-in 10g HD...Sound Is Clear i think it sound better then my changer since there's a built-in EQ in the Sony, so i am able to adjust the sound..Comfirmed that it work on
2nd gen GS w/Navi ML
Old 04-13-07, 04:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

updated with pt. 3

just need to find a pic of the finished install and show you guys how to wire the trigger
Old 04-24-07, 07:14 PM
lex bubble
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a lil help...

First off, BIG thanks to Pure Drifter for the write up. I've been waiting for a solution like this for a while. I took stab at the install this weekend and ran into a couple of issues (due in part to my lack of patience for the remaining instructions on the install). Here are the details of my situation:

I have a '94 ES300 with a bone-stock factory Pioneer system with the 6-disc changer in the trunk. I gathered the parts together, started with the install, and realized that my factory amp has different connectors than the one's pictured in the write up (no real surprise here). I Google'd for the amp harness diagram to no avail. So, determined to continue...I tried to figure out which wires were the right ones to use. I found some that work, but I don't think I found the right ones. Here's where I'm at.

First issue: The ipod will play through all of the speakers in the stereo. However, the volume is either on or off...no in between. Regardless of whether or not I adjust the volume on the ipod. If I turn the volume **** on the stereo to anything more than around 20%, the music playing through the ipod is heard (at a constant volume that doesn't increase as the **** is turned). Less than 20 % it's dead silent. Also, the left to right and front to rear adjustment ***** no longer make changes as I turn them.

Second Issue: I bought the ipod harness pictured a few pages ago. But I bought the one with the power/ground wire so I can charge it while it plays in the car. My ipod battery won't hold a charge at all, and needs a power source to be played for more than 2 minutes. I found a 12v switched source on the amp's harness and wired the red power wire on the ipod adapter harness, and the ipod see's an input of power...but it will not charge the ipod. (I know the issue is not with the ipod, because I can use the USB, wall, and cigarette lighter plugs to charge it)

Third issue: My stereo, cassette, cd changer no longer generate any sound when they're chosen as the source.

I obviously took a wrong turn somewhere. My amp has 2 plugs on it (and not 3). If anyone can post up the '94 ES300 factory amp pinout and any other useful info, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 04-24-07, 09:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

sry i cant help with the charging issue, potential for 12v mayhem was the primary reason i chose not to go with an unproven cable.

for a 94 ES300 w/factory CD changer you need to intercept the following wires (this is on the amp, not the changer)

these wires are on the smaller of the 2 connectors on your amp, should have a total of 12 wires.

signal____clr______pin
CDR+____Green____1
CDL+____Blue______2
CDR-____Violet_____6
CDL-____Pink______7

my guess as to why u cant switch sources and why ur having issues with volume is because u tapped the wrong wires, i accidently tapped a data wire between my changer and my hu during development and had similar issues.

any more questions just post them up
Old 04-25-07, 08:09 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

how bout me, do you have the wireing codes for a 2005 rx330 with navigation. i checked the back of the hedunit and couldnt figure it out.
Old 04-25-07, 09:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

how bout me, do you have the wireing codes for a 2005 rx330 with navigation. i checked the back of the hedunit and couldnt figure it out.
middle plug/12pin connector. should be the smallest one of the 3 back there.
not sure if it will work perfectly since the RX processes sound differently but it most likely SHOULD work

signal____clr______pin
CDR+____Blue______2
CDR-____Orange____3
CDL+____Yellow____4
CDL-____Violet____5

Last edited by PureDrifter; 04-25-07 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-26-07, 07:10 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

PureDrifter this is a great write-up... Could you possibly give a diagram for the first gen GS??Pioneer system..
Old 04-26-07, 09:14 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I appreciate the "DIY" centric approach to adding auxiliary switching, if you spend a little more, you can just attach an auxiliary switch to the input of the cd changer.

Soundgate has the AUX3 for approximately $50-$60.

JL Audio has a higher end choice in the CL-SES with level trimming.

Steve
Old 04-26-07, 04:45 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by shern
While I appreciate the "DIY" centric approach to adding auxiliary switching, if you spend a little more, you can just attach an auxiliary switch to the input of the cd changer.

Soundgate has the AUX3 for approximately $50-$60.

JL Audio has a higher end choice in the CL-SES with level trimming.

Steve
the AUX3 is no more than a glorified version of the relay setup i used. it switches RCA signals only, meaning that it isnt plug and play and you still have to modify the car's harness. and its 2x the price.

the JL is avail on the street for around $150 and it too, is a switching setup, still not plug and play. u do get advanced functionality for the speaker outputs but its both overkill and not really worth it just to add in an aux. input.

Soundgate sells a product that nobody i know of has tested/used.
it is a plug/play aux. input model no. SDSTOYO
http://www.soundgate.com/index.php?r...usereferrer=1&
avail for approx $55+shippiing it is a plug and play device for 98-03 SC/GS with nak only and ES.

that would be worth it since its plug and play....if it works....
Old 04-27-07, 08:47 AM
Lapraka
Driver

In my honest opinion yours is the BEST solution. My next step would have been to find OEM connectors so we could bypass the "cutting" Is there any vendor who sells OEM Mark Levinson connectors for SC430 2003. And also would you please direct me on what pins need to be intercepted.
Old 04-27-07, 09:23 AM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all you want is AUX inputs just get a vaistech (.com) SLU. just plugs in and by-passes audio wire harness. Gets power right from the harness, no splicing! I'm just looking for pics of how to remove the HU long enough to make the switch atm and then i'm ordering one.

Last edited by Hohlraum; 04-27-07 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-27-07, 03:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Hohlraum
If all you want is AUX inputs just get a vaistech (.com) SLU. just plugs in and by-passes audio wire harness. Gets power right from the harness, no splicing! I'm just looking for pics of how to remove the HU long enough to make the switch atm and then i'm ordering one.
vaistech only sells units for post '01 cars..........
Old 04-27-07, 06:38 PM
lex bubble
Driver School Candidate

Default Need a lil more help

Above is a (bad cell phone) pic of the smaller of the 2 harness' on my factory amp. The pink/blue wire would be pin 1 (I believe?). Could you cross reference the factory diagram that you have? The pinout that you provided (thanks, by the way) doesn't match what I'm seeing on my factory amp. Or I made a mistake and I'm looking at the wrong harness. Thanks in advance for all you help, bro.

Just to reiterate, I have a '94 ES300 with the factory stereo/6-disc changer.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo