Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-13, 09:16 AM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Several years ago, I installed XM radio on the 93 LS that I owned using the method that Puredrifter outlines in this thread. It worked great during the remaining years that I owned this car. The only negative that I encountered in the installation was the tedious job of trying to solder wires to the tiny connectors in the relay.

We also own a 94 ES on which I have wanted to do an XM installation. Recently I came across this switch which performs the same function that the relay performs in Puredrifter's installation. The switch is on this website: http://electronicsusa.com/mk1and2.html. I ordered one of the MK-1 models ($25.00 plus shipping) and used it for the installation last week.

Everything worked perfectly. I put the XM radio (Onyx model) in the console and ran the sound cable to the trunk where the CD changer is located, pushing the wire underneath the plastic trim piece that is between the carpet edge and the door frame. I prepared two 3.5 mm RCA cables for two of the connections that were needed for the switch (one for sending the CD sound from the changer to the switch and one to send the switch output back to the wires going to the sound system). I got the 3.5 mm RCA connectors at Radio Shack and soldered the three cables needed to them. I found that soldering the wires to these connectors was much easier than trying to solder to a relay.

The wires one would need to intercept are readily accessible on the 94 ES. There are two plug-in connectors which attach to the rear of the CD changer. The wires needed are in the smaller of these two plugs. The four wires that must be cut and rerouted are: light green (R+); blue (L+); violet (R-); and pink (L-).

Rather than use the cigarette lighter for the power source (since the ES only has one), I installed a 5 volt power connector to bring power directly from the fuse box under the dash to the XM receiver. I connected this to the fuse box using a Bussman add-a-fuse plugged into the radio fuse connection. For a ground source, I loosened a nut on a metal bracket underneath the dash, wrapped the ground wire around the bolt, and tightened the nut.

On the website where this switch is sold, there is a mention that a ground loop isolater may be needed. I bought one of these in case I needed it; however, the sound was perfect without it.

I ran the XM antenna to the rear shelf, using the same route that I used for the sound cable. XM says the antenna needs to be mounted outside; however, I have found that it works perfectly when located on the rear shelf near the back of the glass. The rear glass in the 94 ES is mounted at a significant angle, giving a good exposure to the satellite signal.

Cutting, stripping, and reconnecting these four tiny wires was the only tedious part of this project.
Old 07-01-13, 07:29 AM
89MA70
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would I be able to use a RCA-to-Headphone jack instead of the iPod/iPhone that is used?
Old 07-01-13, 09:33 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 89MA70
Would I be able to use a RCA-to-Headphone jack instead of the iPod/iPhone that is used?
Yes, that would work.
Old 07-31-13, 04:14 PM
ysadkhi
Driver School Candidate

Hi all, would you be able to put connect an RCA to 3.5 mm instead of the RCA to iPhone jack in the instructions above ? Would that work ?
Old 07-31-13, 04:15 PM
ysadkhi
Driver School Candidate

Oops. I am sorry all I just read that someone asked that question already. I should have read the whole thread . My apologies.
Old 09-24-13, 09:28 AM
LexusLexi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is truly an amazing thread with tons of very useful info. HOWEVER, I think that there is either a scenario missing OR a configuration method that escapes me. How do you connect sirius radio and a smartphone for nav and handsfree through the car speakers? Selecting "either/or" is impractical. Using a Y cable has a huge impact on the sound quality of both sources. Statistically, it is highly unlikely to be THAT cool and original to be the only person to have faced this problem. Any thoughts?

I am currently looking for a 98 LS and want to be ready, so I am following a few threads and doing my homework, but this problem applies to all older car makes.
Old 01-11-14, 01:35 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just built and installed one of these into my 96 LS400.

I used a headphone to RCA cable and wired it as the primary source instead of the changer.
I also used the following parts:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...red/1356/3109/ x1
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...lay/1667/3844/ x4
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...et-/1668/3843/ x4
http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...498-ND/3868291 x1
And a bunch of heat shrink-butt and various other connectors.

Worked very well!
Old 01-21-14, 03:30 PM
verly6565
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

can this mirror an android phone
Old 03-02-14, 10:31 AM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anyone got this to work on a 1st Gen GS with out a factory CD changer?
Old 03-03-14, 03:21 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anyone done this in a 1st GEN GS without a factory CD changer?
Old 03-22-14, 10:59 AM
dvdchance
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow just so much to read here.

Can I ask a real quick question. If I don't want to use the CD player anymore, can I just cut into the amp wires without the relay and switch? Or is that needed in any case. I just want to get a line level mini-jack for an iPhone or my GF's Android phones.

I have a 1995 LS with the 6 disc changer if that matters.

Oh BTW, will this also work on my 2002 GS300?

Last edited by dvdchance; 03-22-14 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-22-14, 09:26 PM
phantom007
3rd Gear

Thumbs up adding aux cable to cd player, no modifiations.

hi, I found a way of adding the auxiliary cable to the system without any modifications or wire cutting.

at the back of the cd player is a plug, the four wires on the back on one end, red (right+), black(left+), and two other colours white and (I cant remember, but they are both ground). These four wires are shielded in the loom

I got an aux cable with the male stereo connection on both ends, (very common), and cut one end off, there are three wires, (two wires and the shielding) I bought a packet of mini spade connectors, which slip snugly into the back of the cd plug where the wires go in.

I crimped the red, white wires with the mini spade connection, and divided the shielding into two wires and crimp a mini spade onto each.

then unplugged from back of cd player, inserted the red wire to the red wire input, the white wire to the black wire input, then the other two below them, then plugged it back in.

I then burnt a silent audio cd,(google it), when playing that cd I plug in my smart phone and use it as my music player. sounds as good as the cd if not better.

1998 ls400 pioneer stereo

Last edited by phantom007; 03-22-14 at 09:31 PM. Reason: add information
Old 03-23-14, 08:22 PM
eld4au6
Driver School Candidate

Just completed this on my 98 ls 400 with the nakamichi sound system. I have the aux cord ran up to the center console, with a aux to bluetooth adaptor to wirelessly stream music to the 1998 sound system in my car, sounds fantastic. Used the same switch as the op, drilled a small hole in the back of the "cd magazine storage" cubby for a concealed location that is still within reach from the drivers seat.

Thanks for the pages of input!
Old 03-23-14, 09:50 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdchance
Wow just so much to read here.

Can I ask a real quick question. If I don't want to use the CD player anymore, can I just cut into the amp wires without the relay and switch? Or is that needed in any case. I just want to get a line level mini-jack for an iPhone or my GF's Android phones.

I have a 1995 LS with the 6 disc changer if that matters.

Oh BTW, will this also work on my 2002 GS300?
Yes you can just clip out the CD player output completely without the relays, although you still need the other wires going to the CD player to power it up and cycle the trays as not to trip and stereo error codes.

My radio reads "error 21" while I'm playing music through my iDevice, but functions normally.
Old 07-22-14, 01:18 AM
nightrave
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys, sorry for a newbie question. I have bought all the components and started to put them together for my 2003 gs, but I can't figure it out what to do with the 12v as it is not mentioned in the manual? Why do I need this power and where do I get it from?

And how do I use it? Do I just switch to CD and press play on the device connected to the AUX input?

Last edited by nightrave; 07-22-14 at 01:29 AM.

Quick Reply: How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo