Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo

Old 08-13-12, 04:43 AM
S14DST
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
sounds like you mucked up a ground wire or have polarities reversed on one side or more.
I don't think I could make a mistake like that, as I have wiring diagram and I checked polarities on RCA wires with tester/beep

But maybe I have wrong type of RCA cables? as there are quite a tiny amount of wires in there
Old 10-22-12, 01:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by S14DST
I don't think I could make a mistake like that, as I have wiring diagram and I checked polarities on RCA wires with tester/beep

But maybe I have wrong type of RCA cables? as there are quite a tiny amount of wires in there
an RCA cable is an RCA cable, but the symptoms you mentioned definitely sound like a wiring issue.
Old 10-26-12, 01:07 PM
dsrkel
Driver School Candidate

quick question for sc300/400 owners that done this, does it matter if you splice the wire behide the cd changer (passenger side trunk) or behide the headunit..

thanks

Last edited by dsrkel; 10-26-12 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spell correction
Old 10-27-12, 09:21 AM
twix32
Driver School Candidate

i have an 2008 rx400H without nav
has this worked on this car before?

and are there any different steps i need to worry about
Old 10-29-12, 10:49 AM
S14DST
Driver School Candidate

an RCA cable is an RCA cable, but the symptoms you mentioned definitely sound like a wiring issue.

The only thing is, that maybe ground I took from steering wheel for testing... could that be my actual problem why sound is so quiet and almost no bass?
Old 11-01-12, 12:58 AM
Itchan
Driver School Candidate

4pdt relays will work but the issue is finding them to work with 12v. i looked and found them after a while but the place only sold in bulk

the plus with using SPDT relays is that they are VERY commonly available.

why arent the pics showing up?? must find a new host now
Hi PureDrifter/Everyone - this is my first post here at CL. Came across this page trying to figure out how to integrate AUX into my factory HU ('99 GS400 NAK) - lucky me, found exactly what I need.

Just have one question on the schema provided by puredrifter at the beginning of this thread. He made use of 12V relay switches being controlled by a separate switch and tapping into the 12V ignition power. My question is, would a manual switch (say 4 pole double throw toggle switch) work on this situation? I have little to none experience in electronics, so i dont know if using a manual toggle switch as opposed to electronic relays would have any difference (signal interference, etc)

Also, has anyone tried not using the switch at all and just wired the aux directly into the preamp harness (severing the CD AUDIO harness in the process?)
Old 11-05-12, 06:49 AM
moffutt
Driver School Candidate

I tapped in directly behind the head unit and severed the connection to the CD changer. Mine was old and skipped all the time. It is still in there with a cd in it so that the data signal is reaching the headunit but there is no sound being sent from the changer to the HU.
Old 11-05-12, 06:57 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Itchan
Also, has anyone tried not using the switch at all and just wired the aux directly into the preamp harness (severing the CD AUDIO harness in the process?)
Yes, it works fine.

Originally Posted by moffutt
I tapped in directly behind the head unit and severed the connection to the CD changer. Mine was old and skipped all the time. It is still in there with a cd in it so that the data signal is reaching the headunit but there is no sound being sent from the changer to the HU.
FYI, at least for the pioneer system, you don't need a CD in the changer, just an empty magazine will work.
Old 11-15-12, 03:46 PM
ysadkhi
Driver School Candidate

Hey PureDrifter, the relays you used are 40A relays correct ? or does it matter ?

by the way thanks putting up that step by step.... you are awsome man
Old 11-27-12, 07:01 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

I believe I used 40amp, but it shouldn't matter too much. I would stick to the 40A as they're proven.
Old 02-25-13, 04:38 AM
MASTERkame
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've read all this tread and ended up with the easiest way to get that 3.5mm plug on all lexus (get vechicle specific wiring diagram) and just intercept wires for a speakers use L+ to L R+ to R and L-R- to ground then put one cd with any own made or downloaded audio meshup or remix of 90 min of lenght and record it at 48k or higher HZ that HU will not read properly andgive u silence but will still playback then u can just put a repeat on on whole cd or on specific silent track and here u go no relays no switches just one 3.5mm jack. Or it will not work ?
Sorry from my english i'm from middle europe so it kinda sucks..
Old 02-26-13, 07:15 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Factory Radio Service 3.5mm aux-in

I hope Pure doesn't mind me mentioning it in his thread but I have seen only favorable comments on ClubLexus and other car forums about the relatively inexpensive 3.5mm aux-in professionally installed by John Nguyen at Factory Radio Service in California.

John can install an aux-in on just about any car radio - that includes early Lexus radios that do not have CD capability.

The following thread shows the $85 "deluxe" aux-in version that John installed on my 2000 LS400 Nakamichi and provides the website address of Factory Radio Service: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...000-ls400.html

I especially like the push button on/off switch for the aux-in that John installed on the front of the radio - flawless workmanship. Huge "bang for the buck". I'm completely satisfied.

Last edited by Kansas; 02-28-13 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-22-13, 02:34 PM
imbz
Driver School Candidate

Hello all, newbie here.
As I read and followed the mod, the relays are to switch off signals from CD changer and to enable signals coming from an external audio source such as an mp3 player.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
I think you can avoid the hassle in connecting/soldering relays and wires, no messing with any 12V source by doing the followings:
1. Make a "music" CD with 1 long blank song that lasts the entire CD. It's easy to do with Windows sound recorder and /or any other software utility.
2. Splice the Aux cable left/right to the left F/R, right F/R of CD changer's OUTPUTS (headunit's INPUTS).
3. Plug the Aux cable to an mp3 player.
4. Select the CD mode on headunit.
5. Play CD that contains the long blank song.
5. The extremely low level signals from CD changer (blank song) and signals from mp3 player are wire-or together going to the amp.
6. You will hear your mp3 music at its best.
Old 03-23-13, 08:46 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the post. Just wanted to ask a simple question;

How would you add a 3.5 mm male to male auxiliary cable from an S3 to an OEM head unit? I don't have an iPod or an iPhone, so I was wondering if there's any other way to do this?

I'd like to keep the ability to use my nav, radio, cd player, tape player, etc. for my 1999 GS400 v8. I'm not too sure which head unit I have, but I can take a look for you.

If you would be so kind to reply, that would be awesome. Thanks!
Old 03-24-13, 09:42 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by imbz
Hello all, newbie here.
As I read and followed the mod, the relays are to switch off signals from CD changer and to enable signals coming from an external audio source such as an mp3 player.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
I think you can avoid the hassle in connecting/soldering relays and wires, no messing with any 12V source by doing the followings:
1. Make a "music" CD with 1 long blank song that lasts the entire CD. It's easy to do with Windows sound recorder and /or any other software utility.
2. Splice the Aux cable left/right to the left F/R, right F/R of CD changer's OUTPUTS (headunit's INPUTS).
3. Plug the Aux cable to an mp3 player.
4. Select the CD mode on headunit.
5. Play CD that contains the long blank song.
5. The extremely low level signals from CD changer (blank song) and signals from mp3 player are wire-or together going to the amp.
6. You will hear your mp3 music at its best.
You will hear your music at anything but it's "best". What you will hear is a your music with cracks/pops/electrical noise as you now have two signals competing and interfering.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To: Build and Hardwire an Auxillary Input to OEM Stereo