Sponsored by:

monitor up out of the dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-01, 09:18 PM
tlutz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post monitor up out of the dash

Did I read somwhere someone was trying to figure out a way to make a monitor pop out of the dash? Why don't you get a Clarion single din with manual tilt and install vertically in the top of the dash? You could even remove drivers side airbag and reinstall cover of airbag you would have lots of room. It just sounds better and easier than someone was talking about (hydraulics).
Old 10-30-01, 10:17 PM
hubbard316
Pole Position

yOU KNOW THAT IS AN AWSOME IDEA. BUT ONLY ONE PROBLEM. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT LIES DIRECTLY UNDERNEATH THE DASH IN THE CENTER PART?
Old 10-31-01, 05:43 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

About the clarion...if you don't flip the screen after you open it...it goes back down...I have the Clarion just letting you guys know.
Old 10-31-01, 07:55 AM
Ron@SE
Rookie

If any of you guys are in the Tri-State area, I'd be happy to take the dash apart to see what's underneathe it and see what you need to do to get a monitor in there....do you mean flip up out of the TOP of the dash?
Old 10-31-01, 09:33 AM
blitz
Pole Position

hello,

same as my kenwood... if you open it and don't flip it will auto. goes back in.

i personally like kenwood than clarion, b/c it's 1 din size, tv, brain, screen, and dvd player.
Old 10-31-01, 10:17 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Not Much!

Hub - I don't think U're gonna have room for a pop-up monitor in the dash. I was planning to run a center channel on my 98 but it would've needed to have been of a very slim mounting depth to clear the A/C vents ) plus I didn't want to perforate the dash. Maybe Santeka or someone has a slimline monitor ( like for a headrest ) that will rotate up 90 degrees for use & then back down when not in use? I'd venture that someone like Fishman ( who is a master of motorization ) could fabricate something that would rise up vertically from the dash but it'd probably cost alot!:eek: Also, consider the hassles U might get from the local law enforcement agencies - it's illegal ( in all 50 states, I THINK? )to have a monitor which can be seen from the driver's viewpoint. I know - this coming from one of the first Members to find a way around Alpine's safety system on the CVA-1005/DVA-5000 setup!!
Old 10-31-01, 10:21 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Also, consider the hassles U might get from the local law enforcement agencies - it's illegal ( in all 50 states, I THINK? )to have a monitor which can be seen from the driver's viewpoint.
Mean Gene, do you mean that a Nav system is illigal in the US??
Old 10-31-01, 10:21 AM
reLEXin247
Rookie

have you guys ever thought of using a linear actuator? This is a pretty common item for motorizing anything in a vechicle. Check out www.selectproducts.com they should have everything needed to do a installation like this, sliding rails, actuator, actuator controllers. However you do this, it's gonna be difficult even for most professional installers.
Old 10-31-01, 10:38 AM
CoreY2K1
Driver

if you took out the center air vents then you might have room to do it... big compromise though IMO when there's better alternatives.

on law enforcement hassles... i was worried about getting busted with my IVA in at first, but on several occasions cops have pulled up next to me and had complete view of a movie playing on the screen. one motorcycle cop even seemed to think it was cool...

i think cops have more important things to do these days, although a screen coming out of the dash would no doubt be considered MUCH more of a distraction that one in the center console.
Old 10-31-01, 10:47 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Lightbulb Local Regs

Richie - In Louisiana, the Nav system is deemed legal because it ( much as the cellular phone ) is designed for use WHILE THE VEHICLE IS STATIONARY! Doesn't mean that everyone uses it that way - how many other Member's have been run off the road due to a "soccer Mom" in an SUV besides myself?? I don't have the Nav setup on my Alpine system but didn't Lexus have some form of safety feature that rendered the Nav useless unless the car was stopped? Like I said - there R ways around everything. Just use common sense with upfront monitors & cell phones. I once got a coupon for a free Thanksgiving turkey from a baton Rouge cop - they were giving them out to reward careful drivers & I had pulled over to a parking lot to make a cell call!!
reLEX - I have two linear actuators on my amp rack from Select Products. They sell good & often unique stuff - consider a worm drive actuator if heavy weight's gonna be an issue, though. One of the linears gave up the ghost when asked to elevate an RF Power 1100a2 & Viper 800 brain! The fact that it was SIDE mounted instead of center mounted contributed to that demise but there was no room to install it any other way.
Old 10-31-01, 11:03 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the info Gene. I appreciate it.
Old 10-31-01, 12:05 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Actually I was thinking of using a screen/camera combo instead of my rear view mirror. I am hesitating now since its illigal...gotta check with my local police station.
Old 11-02-01, 04:18 PM
tlutz
Driver School Candidate

MY PLANS WERE TO YANK OUT THE PASSENGER SIDE AIRBAG AND REPLACE THE COVER, GIVING YOU A HUGE CAVITY TO HOUSE AN UPRIGHT SINGLE DIN OF YOUR CHOICE.
Old 11-03-01, 12:18 AM
LS007
Lead Lap

If mounting depth is the issue for pop-up screen, what about a motorized flip-up/down display? This Clarion VMA7483 might do the job and I recall the mounting depth being like 2.5".

Last edited by LS007; 11-03-01 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-03-01, 11:40 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by VideoNavi
If mounting depth is the issue for pop-up screen, what about a motorized flip-up/down display? This Clarion VMA7483 might do the job and I recall the mounting depth being like 2.5".

VideoNavi,

do you know if this monitor is thin enough to fit in the middle of the top of the dash in the GS? Like above the center A/C vents by cutting a rectangle of the leather off.

Quick Reply: monitor up out of the dash