ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lexus-audio-video-security-and-electronics-12/)
-   -   DynAudio Speakers Question (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lexus-audio-video-security-and-electronics/24831-dynaudio-speakers-question.html)

gsnav 10-23-01 02:47 PM

DynAudio Speakers Question

Does the MW150 speakers from dynaudio need cross overs? Cause i'm thinking of purchasing them but i know they come in the MK240 combo for the rears, does it matter if i have the crossovers or not? Thanks. Also for the rears, i still need a baffle board?

Percy 10-23-01 08:44 PM

Gsnav,

The Dyn 150's don't really need a crossover if you want to run then full range. That's how I have them running now. Still have to get everything installed. The nice thing about the Dyn is that they're designed to roll off at 12db/oct at around 4k.

You'll need a baffle board for the rears. Just use the same steps as you would for the fronts.

Percy

gsnav 10-23-01 09:01 PM

thanks so much percy. So the crossover that comes with the mk240 set is just a high pass filter then for the tweeters? I'm in my class right now so you are saying 12db/oct is what i'm assuming better than 12db/dec right? I'm just trying to tie my hobby with my education, haha. So what's a good cheap place to get the MW150's? I see them on the internet for 130 each.

I'm planning on getting MW150's and the MK240 set to make my system better first of all.

What would be my next step? Subwoofer, i just don't wanna take up any extra space in the trunk at all, so do you recommend freeair woofers or box is better? Thanks.

Percy 10-24-01 07:15 AM

gsnav,

There's no such thing as a 12db/dec crossover! At least not that I've heard of. It is possible though if you want to make it happen. ;)

The crossover set has both high and low pass. The highpass is or the tweeter, lowpass is for the midwoofer. This is so there's no overlap in frequencies, which would sound annoying.

After speakers are changed out I'd recommend the subwoofer. Freeair if you don't want to take up any space. That's how I have mine running...the trunk space was needed!

As for the 150's, you can pluck them off of ebay every once in a while. They're quite durable so they're pretty much a safe bet. But, as with all gear, make sure you can inspect them or have some money back guarantee.

Good luck!

Percy

gsnav 10-24-01 07:47 AM

Opps, do you have the MW150's or 160's in rear? What's a good free-air sub, if i do pick up a free air sub, i'll have to get an amp right? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Also where do i get the MDF to make the baffle, hareware store? Thanks.

Shinchan 10-24-01 08:17 AM

Percy, you mention baffle board for the rears.. What is a baffle board?
Also, do the dnyaudio fit into the black plastic housing or you need to remove them and use the custom housing?
Do you know what is the depth to the OEM housing?

Thanks

Percy 10-24-01 08:44 AM

Shinchan,

A baffle board is just a board for the speaker to mount on. Serves two purposes. One is to seal the speaker enclosure from any air leaks/sound cancellation. The other purpose is for the speaker to solidly mount on. They're usually made out of MDF (medium density fiberboard). You would remove the black housing entirely...it's not needed for the 6.5 inch speakers. Use a 1/2 inch board thickness with a 1 inch spacer ring. This will allow the rear of the speaker to clear the window...otherwise you'll hit the window!

GSNAV,

You can go to the local lumberyard or home improvement store (lowes, menards, home depot, etc) and they have them in sheets of either 4 feet by 8 feet or 2 feet by 4 feet. Or you could try the local audio shop and see if they have any "scraps" of MDF sitting around. If they can't make a big box out of them they'll usually give them away. Saves disposal cost and it helps out both parties.

Percy

gsnav 10-24-01 10:43 AM

(1)I have a friend that wants to sell a mk240 set for 350? Is that a good price? Thanks. I'm thinking about buying it.

(2) What is a good freeair sub to get? Also, do i have to get an amplifier with this? Thanks.

Percy 10-24-01 12:54 PM

Gsnav,

350?!?! JUMP ON IT. That's an awesome price! As for freeair subs, try looking into JL Audio or Dynaudio. Dyn's subs are very shallow...some 3 inches for total depth. Check their site out at http://www.dynaudiona.com

No, I don't have stock in Dynaudio. ;)

Percy

gsnav 10-24-01 01:05 PM

You are the man, Percy!! I gotta hand it to you, with my layman questions, you've helped me out a lot, i just want to know then, i should just buy two MW160 ( the 7" speakers) and just add them to the back?

What model of JL subs or DynAudio would fit in the lexus rear whole without any modification and i would need to purchase a good amplifier right?

Thanks so much percy or anyone else.

retrodrive 10-24-01 01:28 PM

Ive heard Focal sub in a free air environment in a GS. Very musical and impressive I must say. The sub is excpensive though.

Also I would look into Illusion Audio subs. They are not very loud, but they are designed for pure SQ. Blends perfectly with good speakers.

Image Dynamics IDQ. Those things are pretty much a standard on the market now (in its class) for its price, quality and loudness. Those subs never get boring. I can find out if they are ment for free air as well as sealed/ported applications.

gsnav 10-24-01 02:12 PM

That would be great if you could!

Percy 10-24-01 03:25 PM

Originally posted by gsnav
You are the man, Percy!! I gotta hand it to you, with my layman questions, you've helped me out a lot, i just want to know then, i should just buy two MW160 ( the 7" speakers) and just add them to the back?

***You got it!

What model of JL subs or DynAudio would fit in the lexus rear whole without any modification and i would need to purchase a good amplifier right?

***Yep. Purchase a good amp. As for the subs, I had to mount mine from the bottom up with a foam spacer ring. This is so that the cone doesn't hit the metal lip. You'll know what I mean when you look at the rear deck. The 12 inch Vel that I have just bolts right on from under the deck. It's not a stock "drop in" fit. Had to use (believe it or not) a car jack to lift up and center the sub properly. Of course, I had some thick cardboard under the sub to prevent any scratching of the magnet assembly

Thanks so much percy or anyone else.

***No prob!

Percy

retrodrive 10-25-01 01:03 AM

Heya GSNAV!

I have just confirmed that IDQ would work in a freeair application. One 10 will not hit too low but it would work perfectly with Dynaudios. Since you are looking at SQ application, you would love how it blends wih the music. GL :)

gsnav 10-25-01 04:53 AM

Thanks so much retrodrive. Now are the IDQ's as good as JL subs and how much is a 10" going to cost me? Can i drop that 10 into the hole in the GS? I still need to get an amp correct? What is a good amp for my needs later on? Thanks so much.