Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Need technical help w/hands free cell kit

Old 10-12-01, 10:51 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need technical help w/hands free cell kit

Okay, here's the issue. 2000 GS4 has a built in (so I am told) cell phone antenna. Unfortunately, it is an analog antenna, and I have a dual mode phone analog/digital. Originally it was a Motorola Star Tac 7760, but I have upgraded to a Timeport 8767, which uses the same car-kit Motorola S6965. I noticed the problem with the Startac, but it is more prononuced witht the Timeport, because the regular reception is so much better.

The PROBLEM is that when I connect to my hands-free kit, the fact that an external antenna is connected overrides the fact that the phone's antenna pulls in a stronger signal, so where I normally get a good signal if I am using the phone off the cradle, it turns to garbage the minute I try to go hands-free - BTW we have a hands free law here in NY, so its not much of an option, and if I have the kit I plan on using it.

What I think I need to do is either a) find out where the antenna is in the GS and add a digital/analog capable antenna, or b) I need a set of chematics for the Timeport or the hands-free kit so I can figure out which of the pins that connect to the bottom of the phone are for the external antenna, if I can find them and disable them, I think I'll be able to use the phone's antenna that works great and I'll be in business.

Anybody have a suggestion, or more importantly the scchematics for the phone kit???