Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Are there any good car security system that offers radar perimeter protection?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-01, 06:43 AM
ToyotaLexus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are there any good car security system that offers radar perimeter protection?

Are there any good car security system that offers radar

perimeter protection? (like the Alpine system)

I feel my Lexus factory security system is adequate, but

it would be nice to get something that will warn people

who get too close to my car.....

Thanks!
Old 09-29-01, 07:17 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile A Few

TL - DEI ( Viper/Clifford ) offers an add-on module that will work with any of their alarms as long as U have an available channel for it to operate off of ( may need to purchase an expansion module ). Alpine & DEI are the only alarms I've had experience with so I can't speak for other ones. Just be careful about the proximity sensor addition - it startles some people ( & it's supposed to ) but they may get angry & strike the car to try & set off the full alarm. I saw this mentioned in the GS thread by another member.
Old 09-29-01, 06:56 PM
Ear Candy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perimeter sensors are add-on accessories to most alarms. Usually they just tap into the shock sensor output, or use another trigger output from the alarm brain.

They are used together with the higher end alarms b/c most of the higher end alarms have warn away ability. This way when movement is picked up it doesn't go into full trigger, just chirps or honks the horn. The sensor on most is adjustable, so like Mean Gene said don't set it too high, for vandalism is a common result.

These sensors can be easily installed in with an aftermarket alarm. They also can be installed in conjunction with your factory security system; a good installer will be more then able to set the motion sensor with your factory alarm.
Old 09-30-01, 10:32 AM
importtoys
Pole Position

I agree with Mean Gene.
When you are looking for one try to find one that just 'beeps' to warn a person that the alram is armed.... NEVER get the talking "STEP AWAY FROM THE CAR...." type systems..... they tend to **** people off.
IMHO
~Marcus
Old 10-18-01, 08:09 AM
MAD_Wicked
Driver School Candidate

I have a Clifford Concept 600 installed in my GS about 3 weeks ago. It has the perioximity sensors. And it is sweet b/c you can control the sensitivity of the settings with your alarm key. You can not do that with a Viper. The Clifford doesn't talk either...

It also has Black-Jax anti car jacking features, which I REALLY THINK ARE A MUST HAVE. I am now tired of 16 year old thugs, and other under privalleged people becoming obssesed with my ride. You have to enter a pin number to drive my ride...Also if the car door is opened while the ignition is on, the alarm will activate after just 60 seconds, and totally shut down the car, unless the pin number is re-entered. Just enough time to get away in the case of car jacking, or the theft of my keys. Once this alarm triggers it can ONLY be cut off with the pin number, and not the keys. MY GS IS NOW OFFICALLY THEFT PROOF...

The Clifford is also digital, where as the viper uses analog sensors, and thus is more likely to false alarm.

My only regret is that the auto start features where too difficult and time consuming to make work on the Lexus. It took the guys 2 full days to install the alarm, and has almost 3 times as many connections to be made than the Viper. The lexus uses some smart chip and the cost to make the feature work was becoming over priced.

Someone was trying to break into my car a few weeks ago, so I have had a full lesson in car security, as I too was looking for some more protection.

www.clifford.com