Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

What's a 'high-end' 5ch amp these days?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-05, 08:29 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Zapco or JL - best bang per la buckeroo.

Hey Percy, have to disagree about the W7 being a crappy sub. While I don't own one, I've heard enough of em. It's ALWAYS installation dependent, as you know, but I've had a pair of W7's kick me in the *** TOO many times - VERY cleanly, each driven by JL 1000/1 amps. I think it's a great sub, but not for moderate level SQ stuff - there are better choices for that.

Jerry
Old 10-24-05, 08:42 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to take this a little OT guys...

Jerry, didn't they have problems with the W7? Heard horror stories about the surround and the things burning out. You'e been in the trenches .... any truth to those stories?

Percy
Old 10-24-05, 08:54 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Havent heard anything about that, now youve got me curious. Would love to hear more details if you have any. I'm guessing it may be some boneheads that overpowered or mis-installed them.
Old 10-24-05, 10:25 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This year's Alpine amps are actually really really good for the money.
Old 10-25-05, 01:36 PM
Visions
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by engin_ear
Zapco or JL - best bang per la buckeroo.

Hey Percy, have to disagree about the W7 being a crappy sub. While I don't own one, I've heard enough of em. It's ALWAYS installation dependent, as you know, but I've had a pair of W7's kick me in the *** TOO many times - VERY cleanly, each driven by JL 1000/1 amps. I think it's a great sub, but not for moderate level SQ stuff - there are better choices for that.

Jerry
I would choose the JBL crown series over the JL audio amps, but thats just me. Having listened to both, in terms of clarity they both are about equal but in terms of power, JBL has a superior power supply, and a slightly lower price tag.

Zapco, can't go wrong, but still probably some of the most expensive amps you can buy.
Old 10-25-05, 06:25 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
I notice there has been no mention of PPI amps. Are they still any good?

I was more into the scene in the 90s and back then, I swore by PPI Art series amps for my needs.

But again, things may have changed since the last few years....

Jon
Wow, I remember using the Art series amps also. Very compact and powerful. I remember PPI also had a water cooling kit for them. Don't know if it was more hype than anything else. The scene had changed dramatically since I was really into stereo systems. Are Kenwood amps any good?
Old 10-25-05, 09:01 PM
GSXLEX
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually just replaced a PPi A404 Art Series amp with Zapco..Hated to take out the PPi but the Zapcos are screaming..A lil pricey but how often do you change em??
Old 10-25-05, 09:24 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Lot's of good suggestions in the thread. I am a fan of ID and diamond myself, but if i go strictly for SQ I want an old school tubedriver
Old 10-25-05, 11:04 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Great info guys. Keep it coming!

But has anybody answered his original question? Give me some model numbers of great 5 channel amps...
Old 10-25-05, 11:41 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

To many audiophiles, a watt is a watt. The amplifier is usually not the weakest link in the system. Most important thing is the install i.e. kick panels aiming correctly. Second is tuning, since tuning can take days. Finally is ur equipment. Ive seen some guys just slap together 5000 dollars worth of high-end equipment in stock locations and dont even bother with fine-tuning.
Old 10-26-05, 06:23 AM
PHLSingle
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PHLSingle
Wow...thanks for the lesson guys!

My plan:
While not planning on entering any competitions, I want a clean, powerful sweet sounding setup that will easily overcome the gte motor & roadnoise from the 18" tires.

Budget - well, not unlimited but I'd rather do it right, than do it half assed just to get it done. I'll most likely set aside $1000 for the amp(s). Checking out eBay, etc, etc...I think that can be accomplished.

Basically, what I've gathered from this is:

McIntosh...if you have the means, I highly suggest one...right!? Somthing like a MC420 & MC443M mono amp? Or can 1 - bigger 4ch MC431 just get used to run everything...front components and sub?

After mac's...

Tru Technology
Zapco
Arc Audio
Diamond

Ideally, I'd have 1 5ch amp...but would I really miss out on SQ buy just going 4ch and going with quality front setup?

Thanks again...
Jay
What do you all think?
Old 10-26-05, 08:48 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

sounds good..
Old 10-26-05, 09:37 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
I notice there has been no mention of PPI amps. Are they still any good?

I was more into the scene in the 90s and back then, I swore by PPI Art series amps for my needs.

But again, things may have changed since the last few years....

Jon

Man!! The way back machine!!! I'm with you baby! Back in 91 I was running all PPI amps in my truck. PPI A1000.4 (I think was the model) was my biggie, and a couple of PPI A100.2 for the seperates. I swore by those amps back then!!!

Lets keep hearing suggestions of the 5ch amps now. I also would like to know what I can use in my SC as I have replaced all my speakers but am currently running everything off the stock Nakamichi amp. Definately not sounding clean enough. Heck, I may have to go on fleabay and bid on an old, now classic, PPI amp!!!
Old 10-26-05, 01:01 PM
Percy

Every once in a while fleabay has 6 channel mc amps. They can be config'd for 6, 5 or 4 channels. Very flexible.

Percy

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Man!! The way back machine!!! I'm with you baby! Back in 91 I was running all PPI amps in my truck. PPI A1000.4 (I think was the model) was my biggie, and a couple of PPI A100.2 for the seperates. I swore by those amps back then!!!

Lets keep hearing suggestions of the 5ch amps now. I also would like to know what I can use in my SC as I have replaced all my speakers but am currently running everything off the stock Nakamichi amp. Definately not sounding clean enough. Heck, I may have to go on fleabay and bid on an old, now classic, PPI amp!!!
Old 10-26-05, 01:03 PM
Percy

Originally Posted by xknowonex
To many audiophiles, a watt is a watt. The amplifier is usually not the weakest link in the system. Most important thing is the install i.e. kick panels aiming correctly. Second is tuning, since tuning can take days. Finally is ur equipment. Ive seen some guys just slap together 5000 dollars worth of high-end equipment in stock locations and dont even bother with fine-tuning.
Unfortunately I've seen this also. It was a Nissan Maxima and it was supposed to be the local Alpine Demo car. He had nearly 14 grand into the ride (audio/vid stuff) and it sounded horrible.

Percy

Quick Reply: What's a 'high-end' 5ch amp these days?