Sponsored by:

Hot Damn!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-01, 05:51 AM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I was able to make a last ditch offer to a guy on ebay & get him to sell me his RF Symmetry WITH THE 28-BAND E28 CARD!!!!

Do you know how sweet my Dynaudio setup is going to sound with RF SYM EPX2????!!!! Gene, P...my skin is gettin goose bumps thinking about how live music is going to be reproduced through this setup.

What type of sound quality can I expect with this combination? I hope the RF Sym isn't difficult to operate on the fly. What type of equipment should the installer have when trying to calibrate the Symmetry initially. The manual says something about it adjusts itself...true or not??

I should know more about the equip before buying, but I KNOW having the Symmetry should enhance the system by leaps and bounds.
:eek:

The new SQ kid has arrived!!!
Old 04-29-01, 05:05 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Your Ears!

Marken - All U really need to use the Symmetry for tuning are your ears! An RTA isn't necessary unless U plan to compete - ever heard a system tuned for flat response - YUCK!! There's even a movement in USAC to do away with the RTA portion of the events but it does show deficiancies in a system ( peaks & dips in frequency response of the system as a whole ). I totally agree with Percy that your ears should be the final judge of things. U will come close with the Symmetry tuned while the car's motionless but might find yourself fine-tuning on the fly as the road noise can mask things. It's really not hard to use once U sit down & go over the manual - lots of things U might not use anyway. I especially like the programmability - I have several different curves/crossover points set in mine. This allows flexibility when changing music styles or listeners. I even have 2 curves set for my wife's taste in music which, I'm afraid to say, is MORE bass-heavy than mine! Maybe that's where our boys got their BOOM from!!??:eek:
Old 04-29-01, 06:12 PM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Ha...ha...ha

It's always the wife's fault, huh??! I guess I'll learn that lesson soon enough. :eek:

Six days & counting for me. The important thing for me is that my soon-to-be wife is very supportive of what I'm doing to my car b/c luckily for me, I can write all this stereo stuff of as a business expense.

I love Uncle Sam!!

Gene, did you know that I was a former singer myself? That's actually were I got the craving for high fidelity. I performed with the Maryland All Star Chorus group 2 years in a row. Pretty impressive considering you have to audition & go through that whole jazz. Not bad for a guy with a four octive range, huh?? You learn somthing new everyday.
Old 04-29-01, 08:25 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation U Got It Wrong!!

Marken - I'm sure I'm not the longest-term married guy here but remember this - it's NEVER the wife's fault!! Words to live by & your life will be much easier. That & "Yes, dear!" have gotten me this far!! Count your blessings that your soon-to-be supports your car habit but maybe it's easier for her to accept it because of your position at SRT - it pays the bills. Mine doesn't fall into that category but she's been God's blessing to me in other areas so we have a balance, although sometimes I'd like to trade her for a weekend for a racing/audio babe!!?? I'm impressed with the 4 octave range - maybe we can get a Lexus quartet going on!:eek:
Old 04-30-01, 01:15 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Lexlyf,

Congrats on gettin the RF symmetry!! It sounds like your going to enjoy your system when it gets done!!

I had a question though, what is the symmetry unit and the 28 band e-28 card??

Gene, you know my system (cuz it's really yours LOL) that's going to be put in. Will they symmetry unit benefit me a great deal!?!? My budget has increased a little (good business week) so I might go for something a little nicer than the Alpine ERA-G320...

What do you suggest??

Once again, congrats Lexlyf!! Tell us how everything turns out!! Good luck with the Ms. too!!

==Justin==
Platinum 2G GS4
Old 04-30-01, 01:35 AM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

I got my Rf symmetry installed last week

IT IS SWEET!
the crossover part is awesome
and the eq is incredible.. tons of flexibility

still trying to figure out what to set the crossovers at
anybody here with a symmetry?
suggestions please
currently...
my LP is set to 80or90 i dont remember
not sure what to do with the BP
and my HP is set to 5222

thanks

Erick G
Old 04-30-01, 05:34 AM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Lightbulb Rockford Symmetry

For those who would like some insight as to what the Rockford Fosgate Symmetry EPX2 Signal Processor is..........

It's one of the most versatile & effetive pieces of car audio equipment you could ever buy for a car. In a brief synopsis, the RF Sym is basically an extensive active electronic crossover system (10 channel capability), & a well built pre-amp.

the pluses of the Sym come in at it's expand capabilities. You can buy what's called a D-module card to activate the eq portion of the unit into either a 14 band eq (e-14d) or 28 band eq (e-28d). The difference here is that the Sym allows you to take the 14 or 28 band option & apply to (1) the entire system, left & right channel [this is what you're used to in a standard eq] or (2) each speaker individually, left being seperate from right. What's really nice is that you can have either 14 bands or 28 bands of equalization "on each individual speaker/driver/sub/whatever" that is connected to the Sym via your amplifiers.

You can also further expand the Sym buy adding the optional "Balanced Line Input" module. This converts your standard RCA connections into a balanced line input. P or Gene can give you a more technicall understanding of this, but in layman's terms it it gives the signal inputs from a source the best possible signal clarity in comparison to just using that standard RCA jacks.

Another cool feature of the Sym is that it has a feature called "VISC". This feature allows to "AUTOMATICALLY" change saved eq & crossover setting depending on the volume threshold of your system output. So you could actually set completely different eq curves & crossover points for when your playing music at a low levels or AND THEN as you raise the volume (which you can actually set yourself).....the Sym will automatically switch to another set of saved parameters.

The Sym is really a well thought out piece....it actually reminds me of how we make products at SRT. You guys know how much you like that stuff!!

I've heard that the Symmetry is harder to find these days, as they have discontinued the item or some of the once available expansion modules (I'm not sure about it though...I was trying to buy one from a guy & I thought the $$ was kind of high...he informed me the high $ was do to the limited #'s of availability).

Oh damn......the Sym is broken into 2 pieces. The first piece called the RDAT (Remote Data Access Terminal ?) is the unit from which you will enter your parameters into & it has a nice 2 line, 4 characters/ display. This RDAT is connected to the slave unit that does all the work, which is installed out of sight in your trunk or wherever you choose.

There a a lot more features packed into the Sym (=Symmetry) that I haven't even talked about. Those who are truly interested should send me an e-mail & I would be happy to forward a copy of the very detailed Owner's Manual in adobe acrobat file form. I believe this is the identical one that you could get from the RF website.

I have attached a pic of the Symmetry. The only difference here is that this guy modified the RDAT unit & extraxted the display screen. He then had the RDAT screen embedded into a rear view mirror. Pretty slick.

Like I always say......"Holla'!" The new SQ kid has arrived!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Hot Damn!!!!-h.rearveiw-.jpg  
Old 04-30-01, 05:38 AM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

Arrow Symmetry, part deux

Here's a pic of the RDAT after removing the display from it. Please remember that it DOES NOT come like this in its stock form. You would have to have an installer modify the Sym to look like this. If you like, I can connect you to my installer who says he can accomplish this.

Attached Thumbnails Hot Damn!!!!-g.headunit-and-rdat.jpg  
Old 04-30-01, 06:57 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Marken,

Send me a copy of the manual. I want to see what the thing is made of. You'll probably get LOTS of technical suggestions from me.

Percy
esotar330@ameritech.net
Old 04-30-01, 08:06 AM
lexlyf3
Rookie

kewl. I'll send it to your e-mail tonight when I get home.
I invite your ideas & recommendations.

M.
Old 04-30-01, 05:15 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Question Wanna Moonlight for RF??

Marken - Nice description of the functions of the Symmetry! Percy's much more technical than I am so I'll leave it up to him to add to the discussion. I too have noticed that even Crutchfield doesn't offer the EPX2 anymore, unless I've got an old catalog. The Symmetry is an extremely versatile piece of electronics & with 28 bands of equalization per speaker, almost as good a true parametric EQ. While I like the originality of the split system, it may take U some time of looking up & down to make sure U R pushing the correct buttons to control the function U want. Besides, I forgot that U use the Gumball Rally school of driving ( what with the mirror basically useless ) - "What's behind me is NOT important!!" LOL!
Justin - Like I said before, if BOOM is your end-all goal, then maybe the Sym is more than U need & the money would be better spent elsewhere as the RF piece goes for over $1k with the 28 band card. However, if U plan on working on some serious SQ, I find mine invaluable as a tuning tool ( it's the second one I've had & if RF stops making it, I may need to remove this one when I get rid of the car ). Just gotta calculate in your long-range goals.
Erick - I'm at work right now & don't have access to the GS at the moment but will get back to ya on my crossover points - of course they'll be different as I think I'm running more speakers than U are. I do know that I'm using the BP section for my mids/midbass &, because of that, my LP crossover points are lower than yours because the 8" woofers give me some solid midbass so I lowered my 12's down to close to 30 HZ or so ( I think? ). Let me get back with ya on that one!