Sponsored by:

GS430 XM Commander & NAVTV install

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-04, 05:05 PM
DeviousGS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS430 XM Commander & NAVTV install

Just wanted to take a moment to share my recently completed mods with everyone. It was a fun bit of work customizing the ash tray to accept the commander module, for me it was the best place to put it. I have the antenna inside the car on the rear shelf and reception is very good. The NAVTV was a snap to install and works exactly as advertised. I have a Blaupunkt DVD player hooked up to it which I mounted in the trunk.
Attached Thumbnails GS430 XM Commander & NAVTV install-115_1537.jpg  
Old 07-14-04, 05:50 PM
Tranman

Do you get any kind of interference on the video?
Old 07-14-04, 06:59 PM
DeviousGS430
Driver School Candidate

No, the video signal comes through very clear as does the audio through the included FM modulator.
Old 08-12-04, 07:14 AM
notkHOi
Driver School Candidate

Default looking for more info

deviousgs430,

I have an 01 gs430 with NAV. I wanted to use my nav screen for dvd and tv as well. Could you give me more detailed info on the pieces you use to convert it? maybe model number and price if possible? even a site to look up or buy them? any kind of info would be awesome.

I also wanted to maybe use it with tv tuner, do you know if that needs more equipment to convert? any info would be great.
thanks.
Old 08-12-04, 03:58 PM
DeviousGS430
Driver School Candidate

I got my unit from NAVTV.com. All the info you need can be found on their site, including ordering. The TV tuner is part of the unit and the kit includes the antennas. I just didn't bother to hook it up as I prefer to watch DVD's.
Old 08-12-04, 10:11 PM
aerodragon
Pole Position

Deviousgs430:

Did you have the OEM Nav installed in your car when you bought the car or did you buy the NAV setup from NAVTV as well?
Old 08-13-04, 04:34 AM
DeviousGS430
Driver School Candidate

Yes, you need to have the OEM nav system in the car to use this unit. Here's a pic of the unit mounted in my trunk with the DVD player. The unit basically splices between the DVD player in the trunk and the NAV system up front with no wire cutting required and allows you to switch seemlessy between both functions.
Attached Thumbnails GS430 XM Commander & NAVTV install-115_15292.jpg  
Old 08-14-04, 07:23 PM
Tranman

Originally posted by Deviousgs430
Yes, you need to have the OEM nav system in the car to use this unit. Here's a pic of the unit mounted in my trunk with the DVD player. The unit basically splices between the DVD player in the trunk and the NAV system up front with no wire cutting required and allows you to switch seemlessy between both functions.
That's the exact same unit from AVelectronics....hmmm, and I've had my "board" replaced...I still get problems with my picture. Where did you get your power from? and where did you ground it?
Old 08-14-04, 07:33 PM
DeviousGS430
Driver School Candidate

Tranman,
Sorry to hear your having problems with the picture. What sort of issues? I tapped the power from one of the two power lines running into the levinson amp mounted under the Nav DVD player and I grounded the other DVD player and the unit to a large bolt on the right side of the trunk. (made sure to rough up the paint a bit underneath to get a strong contact to the chassis)
Old 08-14-04, 09:04 PM
Bdragon007
Pole Position

Deviousgs430,
If you don't mind can you tell me how much did you pay for the unit? and does it come with instructions. Oh and does it have extra inputs for camera and such? Thanks
Old 08-15-04, 03:33 AM
DeviousGS430
Driver School Candidate

Bdragon007,
I was looking for my receipt but came up empty. I'm going by memory now but believe I paid $450 for the unit from NavTV (It was either 450 or 499). The unit does come with instructions which are pretty good but you need to know where you're going to grab your constant and switched power from, they don't help you there. I went to the website to check but it looks like they took allot of good information off there and would have you call in now. As far as inputs you have two sets of RCA jack type inputs for your DVD player, Xbox or whatever, an input for the TV tuners diversity antenna (which I didn't bother to hook up but the antenna's are included) and an input for a back up camera. You get two sets of outputs as well as an additional audio only output and the unit has a built in FM modulator with included adapter cable so you can pipe the sound into the stock system that way. I'm not an audiophile but I will say that both the NavTV and the XM commander are working off modulators and the sound is very good for my ears. Also I haven't lost any signal strength from FM or AM (not that I find myself using either anymore!) you just have to make sure everything else is turned off before you switch to FM or AM, otherwise you just get static.
Old 08-15-04, 05:32 PM
Tranman

Tranman,
Sorry to hear your having problems with the picture. What sort of issues? I tapped the power from one of the two power lines running into the levinson amp mounted under the Nav DVD player and I grounded the other DVD player and the unit to a large bolt on the right side of the trunk. (made sure to rough up the paint a bit underneath to get a strong contact to the chassis)
Thanks...I originally tapped the accessory power to the ml amp for power source to the unit. However, I'll try tapping the actual power wires for the amp when I get a chance...hopefully it helps my situation.

Last edited by Tranman; 08-15-04 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-15-04, 05:38 PM
Tranman

Bdragon007,
I was looking for my receipt but came up empty. I'm going by memory now but believe I paid $450 for the unit from NavTV (It was either 450 or 499). The unit does come with instructions which are pretty good but you need to know where you're going to grab your constant and switched power from, they don't help you there. I went to the website to check but it looks like they took allot of good information off there and would have you call in now. As far as inputs you have two sets of RCA jack type inputs for your DVD player, Xbox or whatever, an input for the TV tuners diversity antenna (which I didn't bother to hook up but the antenna's are included) and an input for a back up camera. You get two sets of outputs as well as an additional audio only output and the unit has a built in FM modulator with included adapter cable so you can pipe the sound into the stock system that way. I'm not an audiophile but I will say that both the NavTV and the XM commander are working off modulators and the sound is very good for my ears. Also I haven't lost any signal strength from FM or AM (not that I find myself using either anymore!) you just have to make sure everything else is turned off before you switch to FM or AM, otherwise you just get static.
You should try tapping into the inputs of the ML amp directly...there is quite a difference in sound quality compared to the FM Modulator.
Old 08-17-04, 08:24 AM
Bdragon007
Pole Position

Deviousgs430

Thanks, for the detail infomations, that was very helpfull. Just few more questions hope you don't mind, if you tap the power to a direct 12v then the unit stay on all the time, how do you turn it on or off? and do they have a wire to active the unit when you want to use a reverse camera? Hope that's not too many questions, thanks in advance.
Old 08-17-04, 04:53 PM
DeviousGS430
Driver School Candidate

Bdragon007

No problem, glad to help. You tap a constant 12v wire for the power but you're also going to tap an accesory power wire (also going into the amp). That way when the unit senses the power going off it powers down about two minutes later. Also the unit comes with a remote control that allows you to power it on and off, adjust the volume, change the channels etc. (A remote IR lead is inluded which you mount up front in the cabin.) The reverse camera is an option and includes it's own wire which plugs into the unit. I'm not sure how involved hooking that up is as I haven't done it.

Quick Reply: GS430 XM Commander & NAVTV install