installing an aftermarket sub in an SC400 :HERES HOW:

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-04, 09:56 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing an aftermarket sub in an SC400 :HERE IS HOW: Updated

early model SC400's with Pioneer. Mine is a 94
This process is for installing a subwoofer or woofers in a box with an aftermarket amp. Althought the process is the same if you install a free air sub in the factory location.

materials: Cost... about 50 bucks

Low line level converter
aftermarket amp
RCA's
speaker wire
amp wiring kit

Step 1. run power wire through fire wall by removing the plastic cover in the whell well(right front) and then take it to the back.The hole I used had a few wires running through it with a yellow shroud wrapped around it. If you want, you can also remove the 4 inch speakers in the back. They don't really do much.
Step2. remove back seats, back deck and factory sub(need help? just ask)

Step 3. locate sub amp and find remote turn on wire. mine was blue with a white stripe(94 400 with pioneer) Also, disconnect the factory sub and remove it.

Step 4. connect your Remote turn on to LLC, and take the +- wires running to the factory sub( which is now gone because you took it out) sub and also connect them to the LLC(use regular speaker wire for this).

Step 5. plug in RCA's and run them into the trunk. Hopefully you know how to disassemble the trunk, if not ask and i will help.

Step 6. wire in your remote trun on into the amp, plug in RCA's. Attach power wire, Ground your Ground wire and then wire your sub to the amp.. <------ This is all basic info, most people know how to wire an amp...
OH yea, last step is to put your car back together and enjoy the tunes.

In my case, the amp stayed on all the time, even when the car was turned off. All I did was put a toggle switch on the remote turn-on wire.. If you don't, the battery will go dead... This is all basic info, If you need more help, just ask!

Last edited by FireCode; 02-09-04 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-04-04, 09:09 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: installing an aftermarket sub in an SC400 :HERE IS HOW:

Originally posted by Pirate400
In my case, the amp stayed on all the time, even when the car was turned off. All I did was put a toggle switch on the remote turn-on wire.. If you don't, the battery will go dead...
Instead of wiring the Remote turn-on to the LLC, you can run it off of the factory "cell phone" the early SCs came with (assuming your car has that option). Take out the inside of the center armrest, and underneath you will see a group of wires for the phone... the blue (I would guess 12 awg) wire is run off the ignition. Splice into it or use a "T" connector and you're set!
Old 02-04-04, 11:53 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Nope, no cell phone in my car.. That def. would have been easier though.
Old 02-06-04, 07:20 AM
96sc3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will i be able to control the new amplifier bass through the bass controller on the stock pioneer radio?
Old 02-06-04, 04:05 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Eh, yea, kinda... I mean, when yo uadjust the bass there you're going to be affecting the subs and cabin speakers. So be careful if you crank the bass and volume up - the subs can handle it, but you might blow the speakers.
Old 02-06-04, 08:10 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

this is true. One way to see what the bass **** is doing to your cabin speakers is to turn off your sub and just listen to the speakers. Start to turn up the bass **** and you will find the point when the cabin speakers start to distort. Now if you put in a nice component set,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it won't bad at all. Anyways, my setup sounds sooo much better than stock.
Old 02-06-04, 09:09 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Pirate400
this is true. One way to see what the bass **** is doing to your cabin speakers is to turn off your sub and just listen to the speakers. Start to turn up the bass **** and you will find the point when the cabin speakers start to distort. Now if you put in a nice component set,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it won't bad at all. Anyways, my setup sounds sooo much better than stock.
Ditto.
Old 02-07-04, 10:58 AM
96sc3
Lead Lap

so does the factory amp under the CD changer run power to all the speakers and subwoofer???
Old 02-07-04, 01:07 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

No, just the speakers. The sub amp is located under the rear deck panel, behind the back seat. If you take out the panel (see the thread in my sig on how to do that, it's a pain) you will see it to the left of the subwoofer.

EDIT: Sorry Pirate400 for hi-jacking your thread!

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 02-07-04 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-07-04, 01:36 PM
96sc3
Lead Lap

so what if i replace the speaker amp and a high-pass filter and a low pass amp for the sub? would that solve the BASS **** control for ONLY bass
Old 02-07-04, 07:33 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Um, in theory yea. But I think you would loose sound quality. Not sure though, any other thoughts?
Old 02-07-04, 09:43 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

RSTSpeed;;;hey no hard feelings about hi-jacking the thread.. You are just rying to help people out like I am!

If you were to replace the stock amp or bypass it, I would think you would be running into a big headache with wiring and such. If worried about bass distorting your cabin speakers, you could always jsut install an aftermarket headunit..
Old 02-08-04, 08:06 PM
TrboDANDEE
Driver

Pirate400: Im not too sure on what you did, did u install an aftermarket sub in the factory location? if so, what brand and size and im assuming that it's a free air sub?
Old 02-08-04, 08:10 PM
TrboDANDEE
Driver

Default Re: Re: installing an aftermarket sub in an SC400 :HERE IS HOW:

Originally posted by RSTSpeed
Instead of wiring the Remote turn-on to the LLC, you can run it off of the factory "cell phone" the early SCs came with (assuming your car has that option). Take out the inside of the center armrest, and underneath you will see a group of wires for the phone... the blue (I would guess 12 awg) wire is run off the ignition. Splice into it or use a "T" connector and you're set!
how would i know if i have a factory cell phone in my car? i have a 93 Sc300 5 speed.
Old 02-08-04, 09:52 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Cell Phone

All the SC's have the wiring in the console for a cell phone.
Take the cover off your console and you will find the plug for your cell phone.
Rob

Quick Reply: installing an aftermarket sub in an SC400 :HERES HOW: