Sponsored by:

Need some Info for a CAR PC in a GS

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-04, 11:57 PM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by RMMGS4

4. Is that a master volume control on the unit. Is this going to be how you will control the volume, or is there a volume control interface built into the touch screen software?

As far as the car audio interface issues, I can help you out, but I don't know enough about PC peripherals to answer all of your or my questions. Do you know of a proven set up that someone else has installed in a car?

No i will be control the volume through the touch screen software

Yea at MP3car.com there are tons of people that have this setup NOT using a Headunit, just a regular LCD screen /Touchscreeen - that site is all about carPC and software

The problem is that i searched on that site to see if someone did it to a Lexus GS and no one has
Soo basicaly what iam looking for is a 4.1 sound card(cause thats what the stock setup is.) correct??

As far a question #1 I have to ask @ mp3car.com and see if it can be using in a 4.1 setup
This sound card is highly recommend for getting PC sound to your car speakers

how about this sound card - on the back of the card the outputs are 1'/8, but i can get a y adapter that goes from 1/8 to rca
this is from the manual

Last edited by CaMsGS3; 01-27-04 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-28-04, 12:08 AM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

here is the audio page in the manual

I also came across this post -HERE

Some guy there said he was trying to do this on his 99 GS3
"just a note on stock amps.... In case this wasn't said before, if you want to get your factory amp to turn on, you will have to identify the lead coming from your factory deck that is sending 12v to the amp(just like remote on aftmrkt amp) and you will have to supply 12v here since you are removing the factory deck... The factory deck is likely a preamp although I'm not too familiar with fords so I'm not sure... After you find out where to supply power to turn it on, you can test which inputs to the amp correspond to which speaker... the factory amp is likely a four channel amp.... I have done this on other cars and plan to do this on my 99 Lex GS300 in order to reduce clutter(extra amp)....

If all this sounds like too much, find the cheapest quality deck with aux-in and have best buy install it(look for free installation deals)... Then install the pc with a y adapter 1/8in headphone jack(from soundcard) to rca(to aux-in on deck)...
good luck"
Attached Thumbnails Need some Info for a  CAR PC in a GS-sound-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by CaMsGS3; 01-28-04 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-28-04, 01:50 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK you cleared up most of my questions.

I didn't mean that you need to find a 4.1 sound card specifically. Surround is normally 5.1, but there are options to disable the center channel and send the signal to left and right. This is what I mean, when I ask if the sound card has this option to play in a 4.1 mode.

Using the factory amp without the head is a sticky situation. Is this really what you want to do? Check your PM.
Old 01-28-04, 02:01 AM
CaMsGS3
Lead Lap

Originally posted by RMMGS4

Using the factory amp without the head is a sticky situation. Is this really what you want to do? Check your PM.
I would love to just keep my stock AMP, do all AMPS need HU?
worst case - can i just get a new AMP w/RCA's -that can work with a PC sound card
i should be able to hook up any AMP w/my current speakers......right?

Got your PM, ill take care of it tomorrow , its 5AM need some sleep
these are the times when i dont mind all this snow(12") - NO WORK

thanks again Glen
Old 02-12-04, 11:24 AM
ikankoi
Driver

I would love to just keep my stock AMP, do all AMPS need HU?
yes. not always HU, but any kind of source unit (carPC is one ofsource unit)

can i just get a new AMP w/RCA's -that can work with a PC sound card
note that most CAR-amp with rca input requires UNBALANCED signal (unless the manuf note it otherwise)
if the PC soundcard has RCA output, it sould be fine. but if it is something like mini-headphone plugs output, you need to verify the output. an osciloscope can do that, or just ask aroud (it might be a tough question)

should be able to hook up any AMP w/my current speakers......right?
RIGHT