Considering a MY 2019 LC500

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-19, 09:58 AM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Considering a MY 2019 LC500

Questions:

• Has the squealing brake issue TSB proven effective over the longer term?
  • Has the cabin/headliner rattle issues been resolved on later builds?
  • Has the transmission rough/jerky shift issue been resolved on later production vehicles?
  • When did the 19's come out?
  • What can I expect in terms of a discount on an all cash deal on a '19?
  • Any other areas of concern I should be aware of?

I see the 2019's have had some important updates/changes mentioned here, and the 21" wheels can now be ordered w/o perf pkg. I would go with the touring and conv pkgs. LSD, HUD and 21's.

Thanks

Last edited by 052SI; 04-22-19 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-22-19, 04:53 PM
DWR46
Driver School Candidate

To try to answer your questions, but only 500 miles on the car so far:

1. No brake squeak, but LOTS of dust. I have new aftermarket pads coming tomorrow and will report about them on the forum. I hope they reduce the dust and still provide great stopping power. Lexus will only replace pads due to squeaking, not dust.
2. No rattles.
3. Not the smoothest shifting trans, not as smooth as my LS500. Maybe better than the 2018 version. The harder you run it the better the shifts.
4. My car #6315 was built in October, and delivered to the dealer at the end of December.
5. My car is equipped exactly like you specified. $100,453 MSRP and paid $93,549 in Indianapolis at a Lexus Plus dealer. New experience, one posted price-no dealing, one person worked with us from beginning to end, no pressure selling or arguing, and he delivered the car 200 miles away. I really liked the experience. Took all the bad things out of the buying process.
6. Overall a great car. Not as hard core as some others. You know it is still a Lexus, but you also know it will run forever.
The following users liked this post:
The Ikon (05-14-19)
Old 04-22-19, 07:45 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DWR46
To try to answer your questions, but only 500 miles on the car so far:

1. No brake squeak, but LOTS of dust. I have new aftermarket pads coming tomorrow and will report about them on the forum. I hope they reduce the dust and still provide great stopping power. Lexus will only replace pads due to squeaking, not dust.
2. No rattles.
3. Not the smoothest shifting trans, not as smooth as my LS500. Maybe better than the 2018 version. The harder you run it the better the shifts.
4. My car #6315 was built in October, and delivered to the dealer at the end of December.
5. My car is equipped exactly like you specified. $100,453 MSRP and paid $93,549 in Indianapolis at a Lexus Plus dealer. New experience, one posted price-no dealing, one person worked with us from beginning to end, no pressure selling or arguing, and he delivered the car 200 miles away. I really liked the experience. Took all the bad things out of the buying process.
6. Overall a great car. Not as hard core as some others. You know it is still a Lexus, but you also know it will run forever.
Thanks and congrats on your LC. Not happy to hear the trans isn't smooth shifting, no excuse for that in this day/age. I thought the TSB for the brakes addressed both the squeal and dust? So your 19 should have the latest pads but yet still lots of dust is unfortunate. Are the brakes different on the perf pkg vs touring?

Last edited by 052SI; 04-22-19 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-22-19, 08:05 PM
DWR46
Driver School Candidate

To my knowledge, there is only one type of brake system on the LC500. Don't misunderstand me, the trans is quite nice. However, I also have a 2014 Maserati Gran Turismo Sport, with the ZF six-speed auto trans, and the Maserati shifts much smoother. Just a personal opinion, but there is no regular car on the road today the needs more than six speeds. All this is driven by the manufacturers trying to get every last MPG out of the EPA testing so they can meet the standards for their entire line of cars, and a game of new tech toys between the car companies.
Old 04-22-19, 08:10 PM
052SI
Pole Position

To my knowledge, there is only one type of brake system on the LC500. Don't misunderstand me, the trans is quite nice. However, I also have a 2014 Maserati Gran Turismo Sport, with the ZF six-speed auto trans, and the Maserati shifts much smoother. Just a personal opinion, but there is no regular car on the road today the needs more than six speeds. All this is driven by the manufacturers trying to get every last MPG out of the EPA testing so they can meet the standards for their entire line of cars, and a game of new tech toys between the car companies.
We have 8 and 9 speed trans' in our vehicles and they both shift very smoothly and quickly. No excuse Lexus' 10 spd should be any different but I've read here some aren't too smooth, hence my original question.

Here's the info on the 19 trans programing update:

A More Finely Tuned LC
Among the changes for the 2019 LC 500 is a revised shift program for the 10-speed Direct-Shift automatic transmission. The updated programming is designed to provide smoother shifts at part throttle while still offering more forceful gear changes at wider throttle openings. Updates to the Adaptive Variable Suspension include new bushings on the damper rods and a switch to independent rebound and compression orifices. Both changes allow for an expanded range of damping force for enhanced overall comfort. To improve steering feel, the assist levels have been altered along with stiffer steering box bushings, a more robust aluminum steering support mounting at the instrument panel and revised Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS) tuning. In addition, the rear engine mount has been redesigned to further isolate drivetrain vibrations.

Last edited by 052SI; 04-22-19 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-22-19, 11:49 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 052SI
Thanks and congrats on your LC. Not happy to hear the trans isn't smooth shifting, no excuse for that in this day/age.
Is there something keeping you from actually test driving the transmission for yourself to see if its for you or not?
Old 04-23-19, 08:24 AM
052SI
Pole Position

Originally Posted by G Star
Is there something keeping you from actually test driving the transmission for yourself to see if its for you or not?
I am planning on doing so, but I'm sure you must realize that a 15 min test drive will never reveal all that owners here can who drive theirs regularly...

Last edited by 052SI; 04-23-19 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-23-19, 09:48 PM
2007sc430
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 052SI
Questions:

• Has the squealing brake issue TSB proven effective over the longer term?
  • Has the cabin/headliner rattle issues been resolved on later builds?
  • Has the transmission rough/jerky shift issue been resolved on later production vehicles?
  • When did the 19's come out?
  • What can I expect in terms of a discount on an all cash deal on a '19?
  • Any other areas of concern I should be aware of?

I see the 2019's have had some important updates/changes mentioned here, and the 21" wheels can now be ordered w/o perf pkg. I would go with the touring and conv pkgs. LSD, HUD and 21's.

Thanks
350 miles...I agree, ton of dust but no noise at all.

I dont hear any rattle even though Im hyper-sensitive to these things. I do have carbon fiber roof though and some say that this is less likely to be noisy

I drove 18 and 19 and even though trans is suppose to be better, I still find it a bit too jerky for my taste. Im almost scared that it's doing damage to the transmission. It's definitely not refined like my sc300 and sc430 were.

Not sure when they came out exactly. My build date was 12/21/18 and delivered to dealer 02/13/19. I bought it 2 months later.

I decided against perf pack due to critical articles from motor trend and car and driver among others who suggested to go without out. I love the way mine is equipped with sport pack, CF roof, and includes LSD, HUD, ML sound (seriously unreal audio, way better than the ML in my sc430 and any other car i've ever been in), 21in wheels, and Conv Pack. MSRP 102,854, Invoice 96,400. They should take around 2k or so off that and there's a 5k rebate after taxes as well.

Old 04-23-19, 11:00 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

To my knowledge, there is only one type of brake system on the LC500.
Yes there is. However there is a TSB out concerning the brake pads. For those unhappy with the factory OEM pads due to noise, Lexus will exchange those pads with a less aggressive, therefore a less performance oriented, replacement pad.

Lou
Old 04-24-19, 08:56 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2007sc430
350 miles...I agree, ton of dust but no noise at all.

I dont hear any rattle even though Im hyper-sensitive to these things. I do have carbon fiber roof though and some say that this is less likely to be noisy

I drove 18 and 19 and even though trans is suppose to be better, I still find it a bit too jerky for my taste. Im almost scared that it's doing damage to the transmission. It's definitely not refined like my sc300 and sc430 were.

Not sure when they came out exactly. My build date was 12/21/18 and delivered to dealer 02/13/19. I bought it 2 months later.

I decided against perf pack due to critical articles from motor trend and car and driver among others who suggested to go without out. I love the way mine is equipped with sport pack, CF roof, and includes LSD, HUD, ML sound (seriously unreal audio, way better than the ML in my sc430 and any other car i've ever been in), 21in wheels, and Conv Pack. MSRP 102,854, Invoice 96,400. They should take around 2k or so off that and there's a 5k rebate after taxes as well.
thanks for the info
Old 04-24-19, 09:00 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Finally test drove one (a 2019), the trans was fine (albeit it was only a 20 min test drive), unfortunately there was a rattle that sounded like it was from the back seat area. I found the exhaust volume levels during heavy acceleration far too loud inside the cabin, I even lowered the windows while accelerating and the noise level was actually a bit less vs accelerating with them closed. I found the ride quite plush especially for ROF tires. I was disappointed there was no massage feature to the excellent seats with superb ventilation. Standing outside the car I did not like the sound of the doors closing with the window up as it flaps around and sounds cheaper than it has to. I like the design of the 21" wheels but they are just a bit too shiny for my taste. The engine was sublime, plenty of power for this class (coming out of an S Soupe). The styling is no doubt a bit avantgarde but I still like it. just not crazy about some of the angles, which the convertible does not seem to suffer from. All in all a very fine effort by Lexus but it falls short of the car I'm coming out of (which in all fairness costs $35,000 more). Maybe the new LC convertible will offer more lux items and things like an adjustable exhaust and carbon fiber or wood in the areas around the shifter/console as opposed to the leather/ette.

Last edited by 052SI; 04-24-19 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-25-19, 08:48 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Isn't the exhaust somewhat adjustable, and louder with sport or sport+ mode?
Old 04-26-19, 10:41 AM
ttantioch
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on your LC!

Always curious about the discount when buying LC since the sales number is not good. So it is 100k MSRP and you pay 93k. if it is after the 5k debate, then only 2k off for a 100k MSRP car? Am I wrong? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-26-19, 10:42 AM
ttantioch
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like a factory valve exhaust
Old 04-26-19, 10:55 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ttantioch
Congrats on your LC!

Always curious about the discount when buying LC since the sales number is not good. So it is 100k MSRP and you pay 93k. if it is after the 5k debate, then only 2k off for a 100k MSRP car? Am I wrong? Thanks in advance.
I think you can do better. I paid upper $80's OTD, sticker was $103K. This was in Sept before the '19's came out. But it is def a buyers market!

Quick Reply: Considering a MY 2019 LC500