LC Model (2018-present)

***aftermarket intakes and cel light***

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-19, 07:32 PM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts
Default ***aftermarket intakes and cel light***

Some of you here already know me and my car and have followed the build since December of 2017. Wanted to update you all and simply share my latest discoveries with my current set-up, and to perhaps save all of you any future frustrations if you plan on modding with basic bolt-ons on your LC500 (V8) models.

I was running Boost Logic intakes in conjunction with PPE headers, PPE mid-pipe and Tom's Titan exhaust without a tune. Have never had a CEL come on after the installation of the intakes or the exhaust and ran those together for over six months without issue. I believe the ECU was able to handle the minor adjustments and correct the AFR itself at that point. Few months ago sometime at the end of 2018 I had PPE Engineering install their new equal length headers and their catless mid-pipe. A few days after driving around a bit I had a CEL come on for an O2 sensor. After taking it back to PPE engineering Paul was able to correct the placement of the O2 sensor and clear the code. Have not had any issues with that code since.

About a week ago I got another CEL with a code for throttle, ECU and automatic transmission. I'm thinking what in the hell is going on now. Took it in to Lexus and the scan revealed the MAF sensors aren't happy with the aftermarket intakes. Strange but okay. What's odd is that when I was just running the intakes and the axle back exhaust with stock headers and stock mid-pipe I never once had a CEL come on for the intakes. Perhaps having the motor so opened up without a tune went outside of the factory ECU's parameters to adjust any further than it could is my guess. Anyway, I decided to have the factory air boxes reinstalled and had the ECU cleared once again. Left the dealer and drove it about 40 miles in various modes and even opened it up at WOT. JESUS CHRIST! I got my torque back and it's much faster now. Torque hits lower and the responsiveness from the throttle is much better. The shifts seem a bit tighter too. Best part of it all? It still sounds like a freaking Formula 1 V8.

If you plan on adding some bolt-ons I would advise against the intakes until there is a tune available. Just get the headers, mid-pipe and exhaust and leave the stock air boxes in. There was nothing wrong with any of the company's parts just so that's clear. I will be keeping the Boost Logic intakes in anticipation for their super charger kit and a tune.

Hope this will help all of you down the road.

Cheers!

The following 4 users liked this post by Zeitaku:
DRGibbons (01-16-19), guanche2k9 (01-15-19), SuperGT (01-16-19), ziggy1 (01-17-19)
Old 01-16-19, 04:47 AM
anchaf3
Pit Crew

Received 113 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeitaku
Some of you here already know me and my car and have followed the build since December of 2017. Wanted to update you all and simply share my latest discoveries with my current set-up, and to perhaps save all of you any future frustrations if you plan on modding with basic bolt-ons on your LC500 (V8) models.

I was running Boost Logic intakes in conjunction with PPE headers, PPE mid-pipe and Tom's Titan exhaust without a tune. Have never had a CEL come on after the installation of the intakes or the exhaust and ran those together for over six months without issue. I believe the ECU was able to handle the minor adjustments and correct the AFR itself at that point. Few months ago sometime at the end of 2018 I had PPE Engineering install their new equal length headers and their catless mid-pipe. A few days after driving around a bit I had a CEL come on for an O2 sensor. After taking it back to PPE engineering Paul was able to correct the placement of the O2 sensor and clear the code. Have not had any issues with that code since.

About a week ago I got another CEL with a code for throttle, ECU and automatic transmission. I'm thinking what in the hell is going on now. Took it in to Lexus and the scan revealed the MAF sensors aren't happy with the aftermarket intakes. Strange but okay. What's odd is that when I was just running the intakes and the axle back exhaust with stock headers and stock mid-pipe I never once had a CEL come on for the intakes. Perhaps having the motor so opened up without a tune went outside of the factory ECU's parameters to adjust any further than it could is my guess. Anyway, I decided to have the factory air boxes reinstalled and had the ECU cleared once again. Left the dealer and drove it about 40 miles in various modes and even opened it up at WOT. JESUS CHRIST! I got my torque back and it's much faster now. Torque hits lower and the responsiveness from the throttle is much better. The shifts seem a bit tighter too. Best part of it all? It still sounds like a freaking Formula 1 V8.

If you plan on adding some bolt-ons I would advise against the intakes until there is a tune available. Just get the headers, mid-pipe and exhaust and leave the stock air boxes in. There was nothing wrong with any of the company's parts just so that's clear. I will be keeping the Boost Logic intakes in anticipation for their super charger kit and a tune.

Hope this will help all of you down the road.

Cheers!
any plans to get it on the dyno after removing the Boost Logic intakes?
Old 01-16-19, 10:42 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

I think some of us suggested, a while back, the the open intake might be subject to heat soak and therefore a performance hit.

Lou
The following users liked this post:
SuperGT (01-17-19)
Old 01-16-19, 05:17 PM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Originally Posted by anchaf3
any plans to get it on the dyno after removing the Boost Logic intakes?
Yes here soon. I will post results when I have them.
Old 01-16-19, 05:22 PM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flowrider
I think some of us suggested, a while back, the the open intake might be subject to heat soak and therefore a performance hit.

Lou
No! The ECU factory parameters will only allow for minor variables in the AFR, so as a safety it dumps more fuel (rich) to compensate the overage of air coming in by the MAF sensors.