LC Model (2018-present)

LC500 V8 Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-18, 02:01 PM
donaldp
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default LC500 V8 Oil Filter

Can someone tell me where the oil filter is located on the gasoline v8 engine? I've removed both three bolt metal plates under the car, one gives access to the drain plug and the second gives access to absolutely nothing. Cannot locate the answer to this easy question online anywhere.
Old 12-30-18, 02:18 PM
donaldp
Driver

Found it. Doesn't look like I expected it to look.
Old 01-01-19, 07:41 AM
Puertex
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Oil Filter

Hello, where did you find it? Please share. Thanks!
Old 01-01-19, 10:13 AM
SuperGT
Pole Position

Received 148 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Puertex
Hello, where did you find it? Please share. Thanks!
From below the car, it's located under a cover (marked oil filter I believe) just behind the radiator at mid-point between the front wheels.

Last edited by SuperGT; 01-01-19 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-01-19, 03:14 PM
Puertex
Driver

Did you or are you planning to change the oil yourself?
Old 01-01-19, 08:24 PM
donaldp
Driver

Did you or are you planning to change the oil yourself?
Yes, I plan on changing the oil myself. I've made adaptive wood add-on pieces for my ramps so the LC front bumper will fit under them. These wood pieces make the ramp longer with less of a slope going up.
I do anything I can to avoid bringing my car to a dealership or any shop so it is not in the hands of anyone but me. No one takes care of your possessions like you do. Too many opportunities for careless damage.

It appears oil changes on this car will be simple. Two 10mm bolts to remove the metal cover to access the drain plug and four 10mm bolts to remove the metal cover to access the oil filter which is in front of the oil pan. The hardest part was adapting the ramps.
I have purchased the correct wrench from Lexus to remove the cover of the cartridge that houses the oil filter and plan to change the oil tomorrow.

The following 2 users liked this post by donaldp:
harryjames (06-08-21), inovashn (08-30-23)
Old 01-02-19, 05:04 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by donaldp
I've made adaptive wood add-on pieces for my ramps so the LC front bumper will fit under them. These wood pieces make the ramp longer with less of a slope going up.
Just FYI - for those interested in nice ramp options: https://raceramps.com/ramp-category/...service-ramps/
The following 2 users liked this post by uchujin:
DRGibbons (01-02-19), SeaStudent (06-08-21)
Old 01-02-19, 12:19 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^I've had my Race Ramps for better than 5 years now. Very pleased with them.

Lou
The following users liked this post:
SeaStudent (06-08-21)
Old 01-02-19, 04:13 PM
donaldp
Driver

I looked into race ramps too but I already have ramps the work on my other cars and for $5.62 I purchased an 8 foot piece of 2x8 doug fir at Home Depot and solved the problem.
Old 01-02-19, 05:30 PM
Puertex
Driver

Default Oil Change - Synthetic

I have had an IS 350 and presently have a RX350 and very familiar with the oil change.Very similar oil filter housing design for Toyotas.
I agree that I would not trust anybody to change my car's oil if I can do it myself.
Plus, save some money too.
I plan to use Mobil 1 or equivalent synthetic.
Its interesting that Lexus ships this HP car with regular oil stating that they do it to allow a proper brake in.
The Vettes ship with Mobil 1 from the factory.
Some of my coworkers theorize that maybe the Chevy engines are pre-broken in. I doubt it.
Any insights? Opinions?
Old 01-09-19, 09:26 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had an IS 350 and presently have a RX350 and very familiar with the oil change.Very similar oil filter housing design for Toyotas.
I agree that I would not trust anybody to change my car's oil if I can do it myself.
Plus, save some money too.
I plan to use Mobil 1 or equivalent synthetic.
Its interesting that Lexus ships this HP car with regular oil stating that they do it to allow a proper brake in.
The Vettes ship with Mobil 1 from the factory.
Some of my coworkers theorize that maybe the Chevy engines are pre-broken in. I doubt it.
Any insights? Opinions?
Years ago, accepted/suggested practice was to break in the engine w/conventional oil, then switch to synthetic (if desired) and once you did, you were committed to synthetic for the life of the engine....nowadays there are many cars coming from the factory w/synthetic, so go figure...
Old 01-11-19, 01:17 PM
Puertex
Driver

I believe Lexus is very conservative in their approach. That's OK.

I called the Lexus dealer and they will change my oil at 30 days. I have 500 miles on LC now.

Then there is another (free) change I believe at 5000 miles.

After that, I am switching to synthetic.
Old 11-30-19, 01:44 AM
cigadrop
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donaldp
Yes, I plan on changing the oil myself. I've made adaptive wood add-on pieces for my ramps so the LC front bumper will fit under them. These wood pieces make the ramp longer with less of a slope going up.
I do anything I can to avoid bringing my car to a dealership or any shop so it is not in the hands of anyone but me. No one takes care of your possessions like you do. Too many opportunities for careless damage.

It appears oil changes on this car will be simple. Two 10mm bolts to remove the metal cover to access the drain plug and four 10mm bolts to remove the metal cover to access the oil filter which is in front of the oil pan. The hardest part was adapting the ramps.
I have purchased the correct wrench from Lexus to remove the cover of the cartridge that houses the oil filter and plan to change the oil tomorrow.
Hey just wondering how the oil change went? I'm planning on doing this myself if it's not that difficult.
Old 11-30-19, 07:12 AM
Oilman
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Each time I've had my oil changed on the LC500, the amount of oil on the dipstick shows 1/2 quart above the full line. When I questioned the service guys, they said they put in 9 quarts as required with oil and filter change. I'd be interested to know from the DIY'ers what your experience is on the oil levels on the dip stick shows if you put in 9 quarts. I've got a change coming next week and I'm not convinced they aren't either letting it drain completely or are overfilling. Thanks.
Old 11-30-19, 10:24 AM
cigadrop
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oilman, did you siphon out that extra oil? This kinda stuff is why I'll be doing my own oil changes. If anybody here has done their own oil change, please share a DIY with pictures if possible!

Quick Reply: LC500 V8 Oil Filter