LC Model (2018-present)

Front camera

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-19, 03:32 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by runner44
Thanks for informing me. I have an LC with the performance package and only the front top third of the sill is factory carbon fiber. The rest of the sill was a common dull plastic material.
I will get in touch with my dealer and Lexus. Maybe only the Inspiration series has all carbon fiber on the entire sill? If so, maybe I can order them through Lexus. Many thanks.
Not just the limited editions - the performance package scuff plates are all carbon. Your situation is very strange. I've seen many 2018 performance package optioned LCs, as well as several comparable sport package optioned LCs in Japan. All had full carbon scuff plates as shown in the Performance Package section of the official Lexus web page (select the down-arrow to expand that section): https://www.lexus.com/models/LC/packages

The picture you posted looks the same to me - are you sure yours have a partial vinyl wrap? Maybe you're confused(?) - the curved area on these stock scuff plates is a glossy finish, and the rest of the scuff plate is more of a matte finish - to help hide scuffs. Vinyl wrap would never hold up on a scuff plate. It would tear too easily. Here are pics of mine:

Old 01-10-19, 06:22 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Originally Posted by guanche2k9
I've asked my dealer's parts department for pricing on those, in case I needed to replace one of mine - they'll run you about $4,500 each! Not cheap!
Wow. That's insane. The pic I posted earlier is from a used one on eBay. They want $1274 for it. Looks like it's all carbon with ABS mounting components - made in China: https://www.ebay.com/itm/232898554348

Last edited by uchujin; 01-10-19 at 06:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
guanche2k9 (01-11-19)
Old 01-12-19, 08:03 AM
uchujin
Advanced

I've asked my dealer's parts department for pricing on those, in case I needed to replace one of mine - they'll run you about $4,500 each! Not cheap!
Here's another set that popped up onto eBay. Originally asking $3895 for the set, reduced to $2921. I'm thinking MSRP $4500 must be for the pair, and not just one side. $9K would be extremely ridiculous for a set of these considering the entire performance package is $5900. I've got my dealer double-checking the price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183592937615
Old 01-12-19, 08:12 AM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 312 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by uchujin
Here's another set that popped up onto eBay. Originally asking $3895 for the set, reduced to $2921. I'm thinking MSRP $4500 must be for the pair, and not just one side. $9K would be extremely ridiculous for a set of these considering the entire performance package is $5900. I've got my dealer double-checking the price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183592937615
You're absolutely right. It should be for the pair and not for a single side. It wouldn't make any sense, when the entire package is $5900 (as you said).

Old 01-12-19, 09:31 AM
uchujin
Advanced

You're absolutely right. It should be for the pair and not for a single side. It wouldn't make any sense, when the entire package is $5900 (as you said).
So, you aren't gonna believe this but I think your original post was correct... My parts guy just quoted me MSRP is just over $4600 for EACH SIDE for these! I even made him go back and check if that's the price for the set, and he confirmed each side has its own part number and each is listed at just over $4600. Makes me feel not so bad about the total $5900 performance package price!

Last edited by uchujin; 01-12-19 at 09:41 AM.
guanche2k9 (01-14-19)
Old 01-12-19, 12:03 PM
runner44
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not confused. My original scuff plates were only 1/3 carbon fiber-the area with the Lexus logo. The rest was plain plastic. I had it wrapped by window tint people who did a great job. And it has held up beautifully for the past 6 months. I have attached another picture showing the air bubbles in the wrap going around the bends. Next time they will use 2 pieces.
Yesterday I got a quote from my dealer's parts dept. $600 for each side for the full carbon door scuff plates. This makes sense since the roof and sills coat $5960. Those quotes mentioned here of 3-4000 do not make sense.
It seems to me that since my LC was one of the newest ones, it did not have the full carbon door scuff plates and if you look at my invoice under performance package it is listed as 'carbon fiber door sill'.
If you look at the current LC description on their website https://www.lexus.com/models/LC/packages-they are called door scuff plates not door sill as my invoice.

It appears to me that they changed after my LC was built and I got 'short changed'.
Thanks to all of you for all information provided.
Old 01-12-19, 12:45 PM
uchujin
Advanced

I am not confused. My original scuff plates were only 1/3 carbon fiber-the area with the Lexus logo. The rest was plain plastic. I had it wrapped by window tint people who did a great job. And it has held up beautifully for the past 6 months. I have attached another picture showing the air bubbles in the wrap going around the bends. Next time they will use 2 pieces.
Yesterday I got a quote from my dealer's parts dept. $600 for each side for the full carbon door scuff plates. This makes sense since the roof and sills coat $5960. Those quotes mentioned here of 3-4000 do not make sense.
It seems to me that since my LC was one of the newest ones, it did not have the full carbon door scuff plates and if you look at my invoice under performance package it is listed as 'carbon fiber door sill'.
If you look at the current LC description on their website https://www.lexus.com/models/LC/packages-they are called door scuff plates not door sill as my invoice.

It appears to me that they changed after my LC was built and I got 'short changed'.
Thanks to all of you for all information provided.
I was wondering the same thing - if you have a really early build. That does seem like you got cheated on these. What's your production date? Mine is 6/2017. My window sticker shows the same description as yours ("carbon fiber door sill"). Not sure how your parts guy came up with $600 for each side, whereas myself and guanche2k9 were both quoted ~$4500 each. Perhaps your VIN maps to a different part number than ours(?). Maybe some models came with ABS scuff plates with only partial carbon(?). I confirmed the price, using my VIN, at 2 different MA Lexus dealers. Both stated MSRP is just over $4600 each (I don't recall the exact number). I agree that number doesn't make sense. My service advisor said "whoever told you that number is on crack". So I checked it myself with 2 different dealerships. I don't get it either. That number is insane. Anyway, you should complain to Lexus/Toyota corporate and try to get the full-carbon sill plates if you can. I certainly would.

The following 2 users liked this post by uchujin:
guanche2k9 (01-14-19), runner44 (01-12-19)
Old 01-12-19, 08:16 PM
runner44
Driver School Candidate

Where do you find the build date?
Old 01-13-19, 04:33 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Where do you find the build date?
VIN label on driver's door jamb. Not too far away from the sill plates actually. Build date should be on the upper-right, next to "Toyota Motor Corporation" (M/YY or MM/YY). You can also find the vehicle's color codes on this label.
Old 01-13-19, 06:59 AM
runner44
Driver School Candidate

My build date is 7/2017. So mine was built after yours so that eliminates the early build theory. I will get in touch with Lexus Corporate tomorrow.
Old 01-13-19, 08:34 AM
uchujin
Advanced

My build date is 7/2017. So mine was built after yours so that eliminates the early build theory. I will get in touch with Lexus Corporate tomorrow.
I agree - I never had much faith in the build-date theory anyway. This is what I suggest you do...

Corporate is going to make you work through a dealer first. If you're sure your sill plates were (mostly) solid black and not carbon (which I think you are), then you need to have the sill plates removed and look at the underside - to see if they're solid carbon. I suspect yours were damaged and painted at some point. It's extremely unlikely they were shipped this way from the factory, and it's extremely unlikely Lexus ever made a plastic version. It is much more likely they were modified sometime/somewhere between the factory and your delivery. I suspect they got scratched or damaged, and when the dealer saw how expensive they were to replace, they said "Eff that" - and probably painted them. If you bought the car new, you're in luck. If you bought the car used, you may have to live with it (since you wouldn't know who did the modification). If you bought it new, take it to a different dealer and have the service dept remove them to see if they're carbon, and if they've been painted. Don't do it youself, because if you crack one, you're screwed. If they damage it, they replace it. If you take it to where you bought it, the service dept is probably already aware of what they did and they may not be honest with you. If you can show that yours were modified, Corporate will not all be happy with a dealer doing this on a new car. Your dealer will be in deep crap, and they will sooner get you new ones than have you report what they did to corporate. If they were never modified, and were somehow made in plastic as you originally thought, then it was indeed a factory issue, and any dealer can have corporate warranty them.

Let us know how you make out, and good luck!

Last edited by uchujin; 01-13-19 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-14-19, 08:30 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Originally Posted by uchujin
I confirmed the price, using my VIN, at 2 different MA Lexus dealers. Both stated MSRP is just over $4600 each (I don't recall the exact number). I agree that number doesn't make sense. My service advisor said "whoever told you that number is on crack". So I checked it myself with 2 different dealerships. I don't get it either. That number is insane.
BTW - the part numbers for these are 67913-11010 and 67914-11010. Price quotes I got were between $4500 - $4900 each side. That's almost $10,000 for the pair!
Old 01-14-19, 10:31 AM
SuperGT
Pole Position

Received 148 Likes on 76 Posts

Perhaps Hoonose should change the title of his thread to: Who cares about front camera, how about those carbon door sills?

Last edited by SuperGT; 01-14-19 at 10:34 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SuperGT:
hoonose (01-14-19), lscale (01-15-19), uchujin (01-14-19)
Old 01-14-19, 01:12 PM
runner44
Driver School Candidate

Spoke with Lexus Corporate and with the dealer I purchased vehicle from. They are both looking into it. My local dealer putting in my vin # comes up with the same part #s you provided and the price is the same-almost $10,000 for both, that is 10% the price of the car, that is impossible. My local part guy will be calling where he gets parts to see if there is some error in pricing. He also agrees that my vin # calls for full carbon. He thinks they could have screwed up at the port.
Old 01-21-19, 03:44 PM
runner44
Driver School Candidate

The puzzle has been solved!. As it turns out I do, in fact, have the proper full carbon fiber door sills. I took the vehicle to the selling dealer as requested by corporate and they removed one side door sill. It has the proper part #, the underside looks materially uniform, and they were able to show me a 1/2 inch of the top edge that was not able to be wrapped while installed. And indeed it is a dull carbon fiber pattern. Somehow I did not notice it before since it was a dull flat finish in contrast to the glossy finish of the logo area. In any event, it looked as glossy and identical to the logo area after the wrap that I assumed they used a carbon fiber material wrap. But instead, all they did was to wrap the dull area with a clear glossy wrap and it looks amazing except for the few air bubbles in the seam as you can see in the photos I previously posted. I also visited the person who did the wrap and she confirmed the above. This was an outstanding improvement to the door sill for a modest investment of about $100. I highly recommend it and it has held up beautifully. By the way, both dealers quote $4600 each as previously mentionned to replace the door sills. I find that extremely hard to believe but for me that is now a mute point. Sorry for the wild goose chase.
JONPRON (02-13-19)

Quick Reply: Front camera