LC Model (2018-present)

Exhaust Vents, and an Atlanta LC Owner...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-18, 12:55 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Exhaust Vents, and an Atlanta LC Owner...

I've been thinking about this for a while, because I am extremely interested in the LC. I can see owning one in a few years time. When my LS has run its course.

I've read some exhaust threads, and have seen where members have been asking if there is a way to hold the exhaust actuators open, to make it sound good all the time. I have 0 experience with the LC. I tried finding some info on how the actuators work. But my guess is they open to let a more open flow of the exhaust at certain large throttle opening conditions.

This request from owners I can certainly understand. As the only 1 complaint I had about the LS once I purchased it, was that it was just too quiet (at all throttle conditions). Hence the development of the Oliver Enterprises Exhaust Vents.

I've been looking at the exhaust schematics for the LC and it looks like the Exhaust Vents will work. Here's the deal, and you guys can read up on it yourselves (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...om-oliver.html, and the links in my signature), to see what the LS guys who've purchased the Exhaust Vents say. I have had no unhappy customers as yet.

The Exhaust Vents allow a very nice, deep authoritative tone, mainly at low and mid-throttle applications. There is zero drone. It makes the LS 4.6L sound very nice. It's not loud, it still sounds very appropriate. If I understand the way the actuators work, and understand the reasoning behind wanting to hold the actuator open, then (assuming the exhaust vents fit), the Exhaust Vents are the PERFECT solution. The Exhaust Vents are easy to install, INEXPENSIVE, compared to the other exhaust systems I've read about for the LC. And can be quickly removed for whatever reason.

I would be more than happy to find a willing ClubLexus owner in Atlanta and 1) check to see if they fit, and b) install these for free … just to see how they fit / function / sound.

Anyone in Atlanta want to see how these work? I'll bring my LS so you can have an expectation of the sound...

Thanks.
Old 12-17-18, 06:47 AM
SuperGT
Pole Position

Received 148 Likes on 76 Posts

One can simply disconnect the 4 exhaust valve wiring harnesses and they will stay at the full open position permanently.
Old 12-17-18, 07:16 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

There's no way I've read all the details. But from what I have read, doing that will set a light on the dash. Perhaps the Check Engine light. As well as an OBD code. That's what I read.

If it is as simple as that, that would be great. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-17-18, 07:22 AM
SuperGT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
There's no way I've read all the details. But from what I have read, doing that will set a light on the dash. Perhaps the Check Engine light. As well as an OBD code. That's what I read.

If it is as simple as that, that would be great. Correct me if I'm wrong.
No lights and no codes. Those who have installed aftermarket exhausts do the same since the OEM baffles are removed completely. Sounds more agressive at all speeds, whatever drive mode is selected. Of course I used tie-wraps to secure the wiring up over and away from the exhaust and covered the terminals with electrical tape.

Old 12-17-18, 07:27 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Awesome. Can that be done to the stock exhaust system with no issues?
Old 12-17-18, 07:37 AM
SuperGT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Awesome. Can that be done to the stock exhaust system with no issues?
Yes of course the picture you see is from my own car. Went back and forth driving it with baffles connected and disconnected and the car has a completely different character. Would not go back to the ECU controled baffles, too polite for my taste.
Old 12-17-18, 07:58 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

I'm in agreement. The LS is (was) beyond too polite. It was like going to a Celine Dion concert and listening to her sing with a big thick pair of white socks stuck in her mouth. The Exhaust Vents let the LS sing. And, the 4.6L has a very pretty voice.

I would LOVE to hear an LC with the actuators at full open, full time. Like at idle, mild acceleration, not just WOT.

Thanks for setting me straight SuperGT.
Old 12-18-18, 09:15 PM
nodeal
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I disconnected the exhaust actuators as well. It's like 20% louder at low rpms. No difference from sport+ at higher rpms. Not a really big difference in my opinion.
Old 12-19-18, 05:24 AM
SuperGT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nodeal
I disconnected the exhaust actuators as well. It's like 20% louder at low rpms. No difference from sport+ at higher rpms. Not a really big difference in my opinion.
Perhaps it's due to the fact that I only drive mine in manual mode. Downshifts burble, pop and sometimes backfire, no comparaison with the connected baffles. I agree however that in acceleration the difference happens mostly under 3,500 rpm.
Old 12-19-18, 05:52 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Well, I don't know, but the Exhaust Vents in combination with the open actuators might put you exactly at the sound that you're after. I would still be willing to try it for free on a local Atlanta LC 500. If a willing owner could be found.
Old 12-19-18, 06:12 AM
nodeal
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperGT
Perhaps it's due to the fact that I only drive mine in manual mode. Downshifts burble, pop and sometimes backfire, no comparaison with the connected baffles. I agree however that in acceleration the difference happens mostly under 3,500 rpm.
I only drive in manual sport+ myself. And I was doing the same before I disconnected the actuators. There are no additional pops whatsoever.

The purpose of the actuators is merely to keep the LC from sounding like a truck when parked.
The following users liked this post:
uchujin (12-19-18)
Old 12-19-18, 11:29 AM
SuperGT
Pole Position

There are no additional pops whatsoever.
We are obviously having a very different experience.
Old 12-20-18, 04:21 AM
SuperGT
Pole Position

The purpose of the actuators is merely to keep the LC from sounding like a truck when parked.
I beg to differ, I have the complete wiring diagram for the LC and there are several inputs influencing the exhaust flaps opening; accelerator position, rpm, drive mode, speed and rate of acceleration are among them.