LC Model (2018-present)

Tires

Old 12-08-18, 05:40 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by uchujin
I've read and understand the recommended use limitations for our stock, summer-only tires, but I'm interested to know if anyone's been using their LC Bridgestone or Michelin tires in dry, near-freezing conditions. If so, I expect there's some noticeable loss of traction as the tire compound becomes more rigid and plastic-like. However, I'm mostly curious to know if anyone has experienced any sidewall cracking or tread chipping - which apparently can occur as the rubber becomes more brittle in colder conditions. I ask because we're having some beautiful, dry, but very cold weather lately and, you know... it's hard to resist the temptation to take her out for a blast before the real nasty weather arrives! I've heard that some summer-only tires are more forgiving than others, so it would be good to get some actual perspective from real-world experiences.
It is time to switch to winter tires B4 nasty weather hits. Then tire shops will be busy swapping tires.
Old 12-09-18, 09:02 AM
Craig B

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I drove mine in the winter when the roads were dry without salt on the roads, I had no problems. I never drove my car in the rain or the snow.
It gets plenty cold where I live. If you're not going out in the snow, I wouldn't worry about switching tires.
The following users liked this post:
uchujin (12-09-18)
Old 12-09-18, 09:39 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Move to AZ like I did from Chicago. Last year the lowest temp I drove in was 37. We have had a few, but I can't recall how long ago we actually had a hard freeze or a trace of temporary snow. So no winter tires needed. And one big reason Corvettes are so popular here.
Old 12-09-18, 04:31 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
I drove mine in the winter when the roads were dry without salt on the roads, I had no problems. I never drove my car in the rain or the snow.
It gets plenty cold where I live. If you're not going out in the snow, I wouldn't worry about switching tires.
Yeah, I don't drive mine in any sort of precipitation either. Nor will I drive it once the calcium chloride or salt gets onto the roads. I've been so tempted lately since our roads happen to be extremely clean and dry - just freezing cold. I'm thinking the run-flats might have a bit more resilience to cracking since they have beefier sidewalls. I also have my stock rims and Bridgestones on it now for the winter (with my nicer Vossens and Michelins stored away in my basement), so I'm a bit more carefree about using them at the moment. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll hold off for now since they've been cold-soaked overnight with temps in the teens. If we get any nights in the 30s, I'll likely go for a non-aggressive drive. But teens and 20s just seem too cold for me to chance it.
Old 12-09-18, 04:33 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Originally Posted by hoonose
Move to AZ like I did from Chicago. Last year the lowest temp I drove in was 37. We have had a few, but I can't recall how long ago we actually had a hard freeze or a trace of temporary snow. So no winter tires needed. And one big reason Corvettes are so popular here.
Oh sure - rub it in! LOL! I love AZ weather, and yes, I'm envious. I'll be moving West when I retire. Maybe even a litter farther West than AZ - like across the pond - to aloha land!
Old 12-09-18, 05:26 PM
hoonose
Intermediate

Oh sure - rub it in! LOL! I love AZ weather, and yes, I'm envious. I'll be moving West when I retire. Maybe even a litter farther West than AZ - like across the pond - to aloha land!
My wife's dream when I croak! lol
Old 12-10-18, 07:16 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Don't do it.

That's why you see so many "high performance cars" in the ditch when temperature drops to heliw 40 degrees Fahrenheit even on a clear day with no snow in sight.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=273

I've read and understand the recommended use limitations for our stock, summer-only tires, but I'm interested to know if anyone's been using their LC Bridgestone or Michelin tires in dry, near-freezing conditions. If so, I expect there's some noticeable loss of traction as the tire compound becomes more rigid and plastic-like. However, I'm mostly curious to know if anyone has experienced any sidewall cracking or tread chipping - which apparently can occur as the rubber becomes more brittle in colder conditions. I ask because we're having some beautiful, dry, but very cold weather lately and, you know... it's hard to resist the temptation to take her out for a blast before the real nasty weather arrives! I've heard that some summer-only tires are more forgiving than others, so it would be good to get some actual perspective from real-world experiences.
Old 12-11-18, 08:49 AM
chiroppa
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove my rcf through 3 winters with stock summer tires. I didn't experience any cracking. Traction was significantly lower, I never felt fully safe driving it. I got stuck in a snow storm once and could not get my car to move at all in about an inch of snow.

Currently doing it the responsible way and switched to snows for the lc. Much better experience and can still drive on the sportier side without too much worry.
uchujin (12-11-18)
Old 12-11-18, 09:39 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Originally Posted by chiroppa
I drove my rcf through 3 winters with stock summer tires. I didn't experience any cracking. Traction was significantly lower, I never felt fully safe driving it. I got stuck in a snow storm once and could not get my car to move at all in about an inch of snow.

Currently doing it the responsible way and switched to snows for the lc. Much better experience and can still drive on the sportier side without too much worry.
Yeah, I've read a lot of similar stories as yours, which is helpful feedback - thanks! I'm thinking the compound in these particular tires is less susceptible to cracking than some other summer-only tires on the market. Recommended guidelines for usage (from sites like TireRack) are very general and cover a wide range of summer tires. Practical real-world experiences like yours are helpful for assessing more actual limitations to your specific tires. Thanks again!

Last edited by uchujin; 12-11-18 at 10:31 AM.
Oilman (12-11-18)
Old 12-12-18, 04:10 PM
Walloon
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

always a difference in soft compound tires as the temp. drops.
Old 12-14-18, 02:11 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Good thing you switched to "snow tires".

Last winter I was caught in "light snow" of about "less than an inch"..... I was in an area normally do not see any snow (maybe every 5 to 10 years!!!). I had difficulty just getting onto the interstate highway at the on ramp . Sliding and spinning with my all season tires which I had just swapped to a month earlier. I managed to get onto the interstate highway, but soon discovered and saw several cars and SUVs in the ditch. I can only manage to go about 35 mph due to everyone else slowing down. Plus even a slight incline was a challenge to get to the top. Then going downhill is VERY SCARY! I then decided to just forget it and exited the next exit and pull over and checked into the nearest motel and call it a day.

Originally Posted by chiroppa

Old 12-18-18, 11:05 PM
psvt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drove in a major snow storm on the stock Bridgestones the same day I was getting my winters+rims put on (complete coincidence). With comfort mode, manual shifting and gentle driving, it worked out ok but was pretty unsafe and the car was pretty useless in deep snow (1+ foot). this required significant patience and rocking to get unstuck at times. would have been terrible on ice.

I went with the 20" scorpion winters on my existing rims. I'll get new summer rims in the spring. Traction is as a DD is adequate to good - I never really have to worry about traction except in blizzard or very icy conditions, as with any rear wheel. A bit of extra weight in the trunk probably would help traction. Snow mode is only helpful in deep snow (6"+), traction control I find is better with snow mode off otherwise. I've been driving it all this fall on snow and ice in Alberta Canada which has had a few feet of powder already (that melts every few weeks) and have had no major issues. I'd say it's similar to a 911 c2(s) in handling in winter, the 911 c4 does a better job at being a winter sports car, but if you love rwd and can adapt, it's plenty of fun.

on the very plus side, the lexus concierge climate control is probably the fastest warm up of any car I've owned, the seat+wheel+climate heats up very quickly. this is a very comfortable ride in winter, and the winter mats are well designed.

Last edited by psvt; 12-18-18 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-18-18, 11:11 PM
psvt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drove the bridgestones in a winter storm on my way to get my pirelli scorpion winters. The bridgestones were close to useless, car would slide all over the place unless i was in manual + snow mode, and would get stuck in deeper snow requiring significant rocking to get going. I consider them a safety hazard in a powerful RWD such as this car - only in a pinch, like "i'm heading to the garage to get winter tires" sort of pinch . If you dip below freezing, at the very least get a good all season, but ideally get the scorpions - they make a lot of difference.
Old 12-19-18, 06:27 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by psvt
Drove the bridgestones in a winter storm on my way to get my pirelli scorpion winters. The bridgestones were close to useless, car would slide all over the place unless i was in manual + snow mode, and would get stuck in deeper snow requiring significant rocking to get going. I consider them a safety hazard in a powerful RWD such as this car - only in a pinch, like "i'm heading to the garage to get winter tires" sort of pinch . If you dip below freezing, at the very least get a good all season, but ideally get the scorpions - they make a lot of difference.
How do engage snow mode? I had this with the Vette, never used it, but I haven't seen it with the LC.
Old 12-19-18, 10:47 AM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Received 464 Likes on 249 Posts

Snow mode is on the left side of the instrument binnacle. Opposite of the drive mode. Twist the top toward yourself and shazam - Snow mode!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires