ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LC Model (2018-present) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-model-2018-present-290/)
-   -   Lane Keep Assist (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-model-2018-present/906229-lane-keep-assist.html)

Madmax0609 12-08-18 11:55 AM

Lane Keep Assist

I have to vent... the lane keep assist in the LC is a joke. I tried it out for the first time the other day while driving down the middle lane of SR 429 in Lake County, FL.. The car looked like a DUI in progress. It drifts over the lines before the system corrects itself, then it does the same thing on the other line. Back and forth, back and forth.. and it did this consistently without ever keeping the car in the middle of the lane. It's a very horrible system, and I say this because I bought my sister a new Hyundai Kona two months ago and engaged its lane keep assist on the FL Turnpike. The Kona stayed right in the middle of the road and even displayed a message telling me to put my hands back on the steering wheel after about 20 seconds.

Does anyone else ever use LKA on their LC and have you had similar results as me?

guanche2k9 12-08-18 01:01 PM

I've tried my LKA on mine, and it's definitely not as good as the one on my 2017 RX. I've had my system on my LC telling me to put my hands back on the steering wheel, but I definitely concur in that it's not that advanced. Did you verify the sensitivity and level of lane centring and steering assist? Also, make sure the LKA is turned on when the cruise control is on, sometimes I would forget to turn it on when I was engaging the intelligent cruise control.

hoonose 12-09-18 09:32 AM

I haven't yet hardly used it, but I fear it is similar to my 2017 Highlander, where I usually have it off. Not as good as my wife's 2015 MKZ!

Madmax0609 12-10-18 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by guanche2k9 (Post 10378771)
I've tried my LKA on mine, and it's definitely not as good as the one on my 2017 RX. I've had my system on my LC telling me to put my hands back on the steering wheel, but I definitely concur in that it's not that advanced. Did you verify the sensitivity and level of lane centring and steering assist? Also, make sure the LKA is turned on when the cruise control is on, sometimes I would forget to turn it on when I was engaging the intelligent cruise control.

How do you verify the sensitivity and level of lane centering?

guanche2k9 12-10-18 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Madmax0609 (Post 10380296)
How do you verify the sensitivity and level of lane centering?

On the steering wheel click on menu/back button>LKA>sensitivity>standard/high

Also
On the steering wheel click on menu/back button>LKA>sway sensitivity>low/standard/high
​​​​​

reposado2 12-11-18 11:54 AM

LKA is useless.

Lexus's new LTA(lane tracing assist) is where its at.

Jules640 12-12-18 05:53 AM

I agree that the lane keeping assist doesn't work properly, along with the high beam assist, navigation, trackpad, heated seats, and the interior and boot (trunk) lighting!

Also several of us in the UK are also having problems with the fuel flap not opening.

For a $100k/£80k car all of these things are just unacceptable. I have taken the decision to sell mine. This has been my first Lexus and it has been a great disappointment. With cars such as the Mercedes E53 and the BMW 8 Series now available I think Lexus is going to really struggle to sell the LC500.

hoonose 12-12-18 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jules640 (Post 10381836)
I agree that the lane keeping assist doesn't work properly, along with the high beam assist, navigation, trackpad, heated seats, and the interior and boot (trunk) lighting!

Also several of us in the UK are also having problems with the fuel flap not opening.

For a $100k/£80k car all of these things are just unacceptable. I have taken the decision to sell mine. This has been my first Lexus and it has been a great disappointment. With cars such as the Mercedes E53 and the BMW 8 Series now available I think Lexus is going to really struggle to sell the LC500.

I agree with all your first world defects.

Lane assist I don't use, nor Nav or high beam assist on the LC or my Highlander.

The trackpad was a real pain, but I'm adapting. You might try messing with its sensitivity settings. By leaving multiple screens up, I've got my music and seat controls fairly handy now. I do wish we had simple seat heater/cooler switches.

Interior lighting is poor. You might use one of those stick on battery LED's for the trunk. Or your cell phone like I do.

nodeal 12-13-18 02:11 PM

I have the same issues with LKA. It is not even a viable function and Lexus should be sued for pretending it is.

However, I have been enjoying using cruise control in stop and go traffic. That works pretty well if you haven't tried it. You have to set the speed at like 30mph minimum, but it will work below that. It even comes to a complete stop.

TimboIS 12-14-18 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by nodeal (Post 10383208)
I have the same issues with LKA. It is not even a viable function and Lexus should be sued for pretending it is.

LOL. You’re confusing LKA with auto-pilot. LKA works as advertised. You didn’t do your homework apparently. Lexus should sue you for libel :p

nodeal 12-14-18 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by TimboIS (Post 10383918)

LOL. You’re confusing LKA with auto-pilot. LKA works as advertised. You didn’t do your homework apparently. Lexus should sue you for libel :p

Wrong. Do you even own an LC? Have you tried it?

ziggy1 12-19-18 07:51 AM

I haven't tried other manufacturers' systems, but barely touching the steering wheel, going 70+ mph, the LKA guided the car (including turns), so I don't have a big issue with it. Besides, I like to drive a car not let the car take over.

Ninjaneer 12-21-18 12:09 PM

The LKA is only intended to steer you back. It is so you don't drive into oncoming traffic while you are on your phone complaining on this forum. There is another box you need to check in your menu of you want to turn on "Lane Centering". That one will actually keep you "centered" ( I feel like mine drives down the right side of the lane). Both systems are intentionally designed not to work without occasional driver feedback/input. This is so there is not way you can leave it unattended long enough to assume it is a self-driving car. While Lane Centering is on, it can detect the weight of your hands on the wheel (resistance to its input) and will only go about 10 seconds before it starts warning you to put your hands on the wheel and then shuts off. If you aren't willing to drive your own car, It wont drive it either.

More importantly, the LC is a blast to drive; I cant imagine wanting to just ride in it.

I will say though, it doesn't like it when you apex turns, haha! Between that and the PCS disagreeing with my closing rate before passing, I think my car may have an anxiety disorder... Do they make Xanax for cars?

2007sc430 04-19-19 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ninjaneer (Post 10390698)
The LKA is only intended to steer you back. It is so you don't drive into oncoming traffic while you are on your phone complaining on this forum. There is another box you need to check in your menu of you want to turn on "Lane Centering". That one will actually keep you "centered" ( I feel like mine drives down the right side of the lane). Both systems are intentionally designed not to work without occasional driver feedback/input. This is so there is not way you can leave it unattended long enough to assume it is a self-driving car. While Lane Centering is on, it can detect the weight of your hands on the wheel (resistance to its input) and will only go about 10 seconds before it starts warning you to put your hands on the wheel and then shuts off. If you aren't willing to drive your own car, It wont drive it either.

More importantly, the LC is a blast to drive; I cant imagine wanting to just ride in it.

I will say though, it doesn't like it when you apex turns, haha! Between that and the PCS disagreeing with my closing rate before passing, I think my car may have an anxiety disorder... Do they make Xanax for cars?

The problem is that I have a long commute to work (70 miles) and it's mostly highway so the days I want to take this car the LKA is basically non-existent even with "lane centering" activated and LKA set to high. I have a 2017 CRV that does the job perfectly. Why would a 2019 LC that cost over 100k not be able to do what a 2017 honda that cost under 30k could do? It's pretty disappointing. I will say the lexus does a better job with the radar cruise control, as the honda system is not as smooth and also gets confused quite often thinking a car cut me off when it hasnt, thus deploying the emergency braking.

Ninjaneer 04-19-19 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by 2007sc430 (Post 10497503)
The problem is that I have a long commute to work (70 miles) and it's mostly highway so the days I want to take this car the LKA is basically non-existent even with "lane centering" activated and LKA set to high. I have a 2017 CRV that does the job perfectly. Why would a 2019 LC that cost over 100k not be able to do what a 2017 honda that cost under 30k could do? It's pretty disappointing. I will say the lexus does a better job with the radar cruise control, as the honda system is not as smooth and also gets confused quite often thinking a car cut me off when it hasnt, thus deploying the emergency braking.

I feel like there are a few things an LC can do that a CRV can’t do, but that’s just my opinion 😏.
I’m still a little lost on how the LKA/Centering is causing you grief; I rarely even turn mine on. What is it you are doing for 70 miles that you can’t be bothered to steer your own car? And as I stated before, it was never intended to steer for you, it is a driver assistance system; someone is still supposed to be driving the car. You might as well stop pressing the brake pedal and complain that the PCS system keeps letting you rear-end people.