Alcantara-Driver's Door Armrest / Volume Knob

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-18, 05:36 AM
Madmax0609
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Alcantara-Driver's Door Armrest / Volume ****

Hello all,

I picked up my LC in June and she has about 1300 miles. I've noticed that the driver's door armrest is starting to show signs of wear. The Alcantara is matted down and looks noticeably different than the rest of the car. Has anyone had the same issue and if so, what have you done to clean it or prevent it from getting worse? I know the car will not remain new forever but noticeable wear after only 1300 miles is kind of extreme in my book. I wish that part would have just been leather, like the center console.

Also, the volume **** on the center console sticks when I initially turn it, after the car has been sitting for a few days. Once the **** is turned it moves freely until I park the car for a few days. After that, the process begins again. Is this normal?

Thank you in advance for any answers / advice on these issues.
Old 11-15-18, 09:15 AM
dagsmcd
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neither of those things should be happening, especially the sticking volume ****. I would take that to the dealer. The Alcantara should be robust as well -- pics would help. Are you sure it is not just the normal matting that any suede or similar type substance can show (like suede shoes that can slightly change appearance depending on if you brush them one way or another). What color is your interior. Mine is red and I have not noticed any actual wear after 11k miles. For preventative maintenance, however, I do use these:

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
KayGee (08-09-20)
Old 11-15-18, 09:38 AM
Madmax0609
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The interior is Toasted Caramel. It might be the material is just matted and is in need of a brushing. Thanks for posting what you clean the material with. As for the ****, I will ask the dealer when I bring it in for its 5K service. The sticking **** bothers me, but not enough to bring the car in early.
Old 11-15-18, 01:00 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Madmax0609
The interior is Toasted Caramel. It might be the material is just matted and is in need of a brushing. Thanks for posting what you clean the material with. As for the ****, I will ask the dealer when I bring it in for its 5K service. The sticking **** bothers me, but not enough to bring the car in early.
I've never noticed an issue with my volume ****, but my blinker/directional lever does the same thing. It always requires more force to move - the first time using it after sitting overnight, then it's fine after that. I notice it because I typically only move it enough so it does not click into position, but this is difficult to accomplish when it sticks rather than move freely. But after working it the first time, it behaves as expected. It doesn't seem to be temperature-related either, since the same thing happens on warm summer days - only the first use of the day. Weird, quirky thing.
Old 11-16-18, 01:25 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I never had problems with the Alacantara or a sticky volume ****. I also never had a problem with the turn signals.

Last edited by Craig B; 11-20-18 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-19-18, 07:15 AM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Use a clean and dry microfiber towel and brush lightly on the alcantara. I generally don't rest my arm on the door while driving unless I have a long sleeve shirt on covering my arms. Your body's natural oils will get into the Alcantara causing it to matte down if you choose to rest your arm on it uncovered unfortunately. As for the ****, did you spill any beverage around or close to the volume **** after buying the car? There is the cup holder just above it to the right and the slightest bit of coffee, juice or soda accidentally getting trapped in-between the ****'s radius could be causing the sticking you're noticing. Spray a little glass cleaner in the crevice around the **** and then shoot some compressed air in the crevice afterwards and see if that eliminates the sticking. Be sure to turn the **** a few times after spraying the glass cleaner and the air into the crevice. Use bottled compressed air that you would use for cleaning a computer and not from an air compressor. Hope this helps.
Old 11-19-18, 11:47 AM
walkedu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a little matted sign of wear on my drivers side door arm rest also. Funny thing is that I stopped resting my arm there sub consciously now because of the wear. I tried cleaning it and it doesnt seem to be dirt but its possible from people working on my car ect.
Old 11-22-18, 04:02 AM
RichKeagy
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ah, roasted camel.
I thought that material was rough leather. It looks solid, not woven.

Last edited by RichKeagy; 11-22-18 at 04:06 AM.