Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hate speech!
Old 11-15-18, 09:08 AM
dagsmcd
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You forgot to mention the trunk -- or lack thereof. Honestly, I almost walked away from my LC 500h when I saw it in person. And it still drives me nuts, along with the lack of switches for seat heating/cooling and the lack of ambient lighting you mention. All that said, would I trade it away -- not in a million years. It is simply too much fun to drive, especially with the immediate torque the battery provides. And I do not think anything comes close to the proper Grand Touring cocoon that cabin creates. And getting 30 MPG average while doing so is just icing on the cake. (I don;t have the narrow road issue you have).

It is flawed -- no doubt. I was coming from the old 650i, which was a wonderful car. I have no doubt that the tech will be better in the 8 series and the car over-engineered by the Germans.
Old 11-15-18, 09:46 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6
Interesting review of the LC500h. I have yet to drive the LC500. I am a huge Mercedes fan and I think the E53 AMG would be more delightful for you to own vs the hybrid LC.

Your driving the first Lexus vehicle to ride on the New GA-L platform. I’m really surprised your headunit is crashing regularly, that’s very un-Lexus-like. The lack of a 360 camera on a brand new six figure luxury GT boggles me as well.

I’m going to take a wild guess and ask do you have the 21” wheels? The larger the wheel the worse the ride. Stick to 20”s if you can. The roads aren’t any better in most parts of the United States.

I would say take a look at the brand new BMW 8 series coupé or E53 AMG 4 matic+.
The implementation of leading technology gap between Lexus and MB is noticeable. I ditched RX hybrid for MB SUV. Cockpit is quite different compared to Lexus. My new car is fully optioned for creature comfort which my better half appreciates most. Luckily(knock on the wood) I have not had any issues other than scheduled services.
So far I don't regret for switching.
Old 01-13-19, 12:12 PM
yiantony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Sorry but the infotainment on the 2IS is not the same as those being used in today's Lexus vehicles.

There is already news/rumors Lexus is exploring touchscreens again.

The present day Lexus infotainment is not buggy, laggy, or featureless. It works pretty well after taking about a week to become adjusted to the interface.
I own 2 Lexus ISs, not a 2nd Gen IS. One 08 and one 2015. I also have a 2015 hybrid ES. I have tried the most recent system (with 12.3" screen and 10" screen) when I sent my cars for services and got the loaner cars with the latest system. I can't say too much in regards to its smoothness since I haven't used it for too long, but it's safe to say there are no major improvements in features compared to the older system. The only thing I noticed is the screen resolution being higher than previous generations. However, it's still featureless (no android auto, apple carplay only on certain 19 models, ways of inputting address for built-in navi too limited and slow, Alexa only on certain models and provides no upgrade for older cars), not supporting foreign languages (songs title with Chinese/Korean/Japanese never display). I would say this infotainment system has almost become a dealbreaker for me with no signs of improvements. I'm glad that they are exploring the touchscreen again.
Old 01-13-19, 12:37 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^The '08 is a 2nd gen IS. The '15 a 3rd gen.

Lou
Old 01-13-19, 07:20 PM
SUNLINE
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jules640
Like Craig I too am considering selling my LC500h.

After just over a year of ownership, I am beginning to wonder if the LC500 is just too flawed to live with on a daily basis and whether it is time to move on.

Looks wise it is an amazing car and is a real head turner but I'm not sure if this is enough.

I would be interested to hear other owners comments on the following:

There are places that the LC500 just can't go as it is too wide. UK Roads are not designed for a car that is this wide, I realise that in the US this probably isn't an issue. The lack of a surround view camera which should be standard on a car like this just makes it worse.I went to a car park with a 2m width restriction recently and there was just no way I would risk trying to get in. On narrow roads you have to be really careful too.

The whole Infotainment system is poor. I am getting a lot of crashes where it just switches itself off and then comes back on again. It seems to forget what mode you were in and switches the split screen off.The SatNav sometimes shows the car in completely the wrong place. Stopping the car and restarting it seems to be the only way to fix this. The trackpad is very difficult to use when stationary and is all but unusable while driving. the whole system is poor and very difficult to use.

The lack of any heated seats switches is really annoying. I know that you can set this to automatic but this means that they don't necessarily come on when you want them to and they never seem to get that hot. My car is a Sport and so this maybe due to the alcantara, perhaps the leather seats do get hotter.

The interior lighting is very poor. The ambient lighting all but switches itself off once you select Drive and now that the darker evenings are here, the courtesy lights are so small and dim that they do almost nothing to illuminate the interior when you open the doors.There is also no illumination of the heater and aircon controls making using these very difficult to use at night.

The auto high beam often does not work well, either dipping very late or switching the high beam on in a built up area. The day/night sensors are also far too sensitive.

Finally, I have a really annoying rattle from the front passenger seat which cannot be identified.

I may be tempted back to a German car, as while they may not have the looks, they do all of this stuff so much better.

I have had a test drive in a Mercedes E53 AMG coupe which is a 'mild hybrid'.

I realise that it doesn't have the looks of the LC but the technology is in an altogether different league. Interestingly the Mercedes has very small trackpads on the steering wheel which are really easy to use. I have only ever heard of criticism of the Lexus system. It is dangerous to try and use it on the move.

The performance was also far superior to the LC, in either the hybrid or the V8 form.

Are these flaws common to Lexus vehicles in general or is just the LC?
Wow talk about nit picking. The issues you refer to , except the passenger rattle which would bother the **** out of me, seem superfluous when actually assessing and evaluating the drive quality of the car which amazingly to me is not even mentioned. Isn’t this what Lexus spent so much time focusing on when designing and testing this car?
Old 01-26-19, 07:10 AM
Walloon
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

There must be something wrong with your infotainment system. I love how aggressive my high beams work. Never noticed the lights as being an issue. I have the Sport and love the concierge seat setting. I never adjust the seat temp. Never had the 360 so don't miss it. It's now my daily driver. My Audi S7 is parked. Drove 12 hours in it in one day. It's a great GT in my opinion. No other engine like it which includes the sound and can break the tires loose in second gear. Comfort and Performance. The sound system is the best I have heard. That's personal choice. I have owned probably 25 new German cars and still own two. I think Audi build quality is no. 1, with BMW second and Merc. third. I understand the size problem in Europe.
Old 01-30-19, 03:47 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

you guys have heated seat switch??? where is this switch you talk about? i cant see it

Yes the trackpad system sucks its the worse iv ever used in any lexus
i rather the older mouse system that u can actually physically move with heptic feedback
other than that i dont find the LC wide at all
then again my daily drive is a GS450h and a RX450h so im used to big bulky cars
Old 01-31-19, 09:37 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

There isn't a switch for the heated seats, it's in the infotainment system.
Old 02-05-19, 06:38 PM
ilv1004s
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
There isn't a switch for the heated seats, it's in the infotainment system.
righto ill have to check it out