winter/snow tires? - Page 3 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
LC Model (2018)

winter/snow tires?

Old 11-08-18, 04:39 PM
flowrider
Lexus Fanatic

^^^^Since I have owned my ISF, 10 years now, my wheels have never been removed by the dealer. They have only been removed by me, or Discount Tire. I stand by and watch Discount Tire Remove and Remount my wheels. Again, my ISF has never seen an impact wrench, and never will while I own it. And yes, I use a torque wrench.

Lou
Old 11-15-18, 10:20 AM
dagsmcd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiroppa View Post
hey guys, I'm a relatively new LC owner here. Have a long history with Lexus and but this is a special car. Unfortunately winter is around the corner and looking at options for tires.

Wondering, those that drive their LC's during the winter, what tires are you using? Read in a few places Pirelli Scorpion winter's work in our size though they seems to be designed for SUV's.

Also, for TPMS, I've heard they're a headache (need to be reprogrammed every time you switch tires). Friend recommended I just deal with the dash warning during the winter and avoid hassle of reprogramming. If I don't reprogram, will the summer tires automatically work 4 months later without error? They'll be in storage since i'm using a second set of rims for my snows.

Appreciate the advice, look forward to contributing to the board.

I just put the Scorpion winters on my stock 20s (not switching out the wheels/tire place is storing the summers). The ride is so much better now without the run-flats that I may go with non-run flat Pirellis in the summer (god bless AAA in case of a flat). First light snow today in Connecticut so will report back on handling.
Old 12-19-18, 12:05 AM
psvt
Driver School Candidate

Drove in a major snow storm on the stock Bridgestones the same day I was getting my winters+rims put on (complete coincidence). With comfort mode, manual shifting and gentle driving, it worked out ok but was pretty unsafe and the car was pretty useless in deep snow (1+ foot). this required significant patience and rocking to get unstuck at times. would have been terrible on ice.

I went with the 20" scorpion winters on my existing rims. I'll get new summer rims in the spring. Traction is as a DD is adequate to good - I never really have to worry about traction except in blizzard or very icy conditions, as with any rear wheel. A bit of extra weight in the trunk probably would help traction. Snow mode is only helpful in deep snow (6"+), traction control I find is better with snow mode off otherwise. I've been driving it all this fall on snow and ice in Alberta Canada which has had a few feet of powder already (that melts every few weeks) and have had no major issues. I'd say it's similar to a 911 c2(s) in handling in winter, the 911 c4 does a better job at being a winter sports car, but if you love rwd and can adapt, it's plenty of fun.

on the very plus side, the lexus concierge climate control is probably the fastest warm up of any car I've owned, the seat+wheel+climate heats up very quickly. this is a very comfortable ride in winter, and the winter mats are well designed.

Last edited by psvt; 12-19-18 at 12:08 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: