LC Model (2018-present)

New Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-18, 08:40 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts
Default New Buyer

I'm looking at the LC, probably sell my 2016 Corvette. I like quiet, smooth and luxury better than power and loud. The two I've driven, a white with tan is one closer to base. The other red/black fully loaded.

I don't think I need the performance package. I really do like the Mark Levinson sound system. And I really like the red and the tan interior, so would have to look around elsewhere or order. I'm in no hurry.

One big question I need answered is the front approach angle. With my Vette I originally ordered a Z06, but the front splitter wouldn't clear my steep driveway. So I went with the Stingray, which only scrapes its air dam, which is flexible and intended to scrape at times.

Any suggestions, do's or don'ts. worries or troubles you have had? Will be appreciated.

Old 08-23-18, 09:30 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonose
I'm looking at the LC, probably sell my 2016 Corvette. I like quiet, smooth and luxury better than power and loud. The two I've driven, a white with tan is one closer to base. The other red/black fully loaded.

I don't think I need the performance package. I really do like the Mark Levinson sound system. And I really like the red and the tan interior, so would have to look around elsewhere or order. I'm in no hurry.

One big question I need answered is the front approach angle. With my Vette I originally ordered a Z06, but the front splitter wouldn't clear my steep driveway. So I went with the Stingray, which only scrapes its air dam, which is flexible and intended to scrape at times.

Any suggestions, do's or don'ts. worries or troubles you have had? Will be appreciated.
Without knowing your driveway's approach angle, I would guess you should be OK with an LC. But you could always give it a try in a test vehicle first. I haven't scraped mine yet - entering or exiting driveways or parking lots (mine is stock). I suspect aftermarket splitters would be of more concern. I believe at least one forum member had a similar concern and installed one of these: https://www.scrapearmor.com/products/lexus-lc500-2017

Old 08-23-18, 10:09 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

Too bad you and Craig couldn't have worked a deal!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...l#post10286497

Last edited by uchujin; 08-23-18 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-23-18, 10:38 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by uchujin
Without knowing your driveway's approach angle, I would guess you should be OK with an LC. But you could always give it a try in a test vehicle first. I haven't scraped mine yet - entering or exiting driveways or parking lots (mine is stock). I suspect aftermarket splitters would be of more concern. I believe at least one forum member had a similar concern and installed one of these: https://www.scrapearmor.com/products/lexus-lc500-2017
Thanks for the quick reply. My dealer is contacting Lexus to see if there are actual degree numbers. As I recall my driveway is at 9 degrees. The problem is that my driveway is 210 miles away! We are moved here by the dealer for 3-6 months as my wife is getting a stem cell transplant, something we don't do in a smaller town. At the dealer they, by coincidence have a 9 degree display ramp, but there is a curb at the bottom that the car won't clear. My driveway has no such curb.

Also thanks for that scrape protector link. If we do get the car and it's close, that item may prove useful.
Old 08-23-18, 10:42 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by uchujin
Too bad you and Craig couldn't have worked a deal!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...l#post10286497
Well the ZR1 is new and quite a bit more car/pizzazz/performance than my 3 y/o Z51 Stingray.
Old 08-23-18, 11:52 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Well the ZR1 is new and quite a bit more car/pizzazz/performance than my 3 y/o Z51 Stingray.
It would have been a great car for someone, it only had 1250 miles on it in perfect condition, not even driven in the rain.
Old 08-23-18, 12:36 PM
hoonose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Craig B
It would have been a great car for someone, it only had 1250 miles on it in perfect condition, not even driven in the rain.
It might have been good for me. I want to performance down, quiet down, plush up. This would replace my Stingray daily driver. At least it never rains where I live in Havasu.
Old 08-24-18, 11:28 AM
sgtLC
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shameless plug....I am selling mine. I cant post it here yet but it is on CarGurus now for $86.5. White on Black/Red. I never had any scraping issues with mine. There is a slight curve in the front to mitigate this.
Old 08-24-18, 01:25 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I had an '09 Z51 Coupe which ALWAYS scraped when I entered/exited my driveway. My house is on a hill and I HAD to approach the driveway from "below" or the front air dam would scrape BIG TIME.

Haven't even come close to scraping the front of my '18 LC500.
Old 08-24-18, 02:24 PM
hoonose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BobBass
I had an '09 Z51 Coupe which ALWAYS scraped when I entered/exited my driveway. My house is on a hill and I HAD to approach the driveway from "below" or the front air dam would scrape BIG TIME.

Haven't even come close to scraping the front of my '18 LC500.
Thanks for the that very pertinent info! I'm still waiting on the dealers call about the actual approach angle. A rough check on my own using a cell phone inclinometer app suggests that I'll be OK.
Old 08-24-18, 03:17 PM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtLC
Shameless plug....I am selling mine. I cant post it here yet but it is on CarGurus now for $86.5. White on Black/Red. I never had any scraping issues with mine. There is a slight curve in the front to mitigate this.
If you don't mind me asking: What made you put it up for sale after what must have been a month of ownership?
Old 01-04-19, 07:06 PM
hoonose
Intermediate

Thanks for the that very pertinent info! I'm still waiting on the dealers call about the actual approach angle. A rough check on my own using a cell phone inclinometer app suggests that I'll be OK.
If anyone cares, 11 degrees is about it. And that's with the 21" wheels if it makes any difference. It just barely got onto the car trailer and just barely got up the driveway without scraping. By about 1/4" clearance. What a relief!

Nothing like buying a car 200 miles away from home and not even knowing it'll get in your garage!
Old 01-04-19, 07:39 PM
sgtLC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hoppean
If you don't mind me asking: What made you put it up for sale after what must have been a month of ownership?
It was over-rated. The transmission was jerky and the ride was harsher than I liked. Also it was heavier than it should have been. It looked and sounded good, thats about it.
Old 01-05-19, 05:11 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtLC
It was over-rated. The transmission was jerky and the ride was harsher than I liked. Also it was heavier than it should have been. It looked and sounded good, thats about it.
Sounds like you didn't do your research before you bought the car, nor did you test drive it. Otherwise you would have known it was heavy, known about the "harsh" ride, and known how the transmission acts.

V.
The following users liked this post:
SuperGT (01-05-19)
Old 01-05-19, 08:21 AM
sgtLC
Driver School Candidate

My research was lots of Youtube videos and my test drive was primarily in Sport+ mode and a short drive, I was very impressed with that test drive but they dont let you drive it all day. Some issues don't present themselves unless you have had the car for a while and just want a cruise in the city. Usually I research the hell out of all my cars before I buy and I have had several and been very happy with them. Maybe I will look at the LC line in the future but for now I will wait a few years and follow the updates that are made to the LC as well as the LC F and see how saturated to market for these gets.

Quick Reply: New Buyer