New Buyer

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-19, 05:11 PM
Puertex
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Default New Owner... My 15 cents...

Hello to all,

At the end of the day people have to find what suits them the best.

I would like to share my reasons for buying a gorgeous 2018 LC500 with every option available.

I have had 2 Corvettes, 2 Bimmers, 1 Mercedes, 1 Volvo, 2 Lexus (1 IS350 and 2 RX350) and a few other cars.

I have had cars for 45 years now and in my experience Lexus makes the most reliable cars of the ones I have owned.

I sold my IS 350 just because I plain got tired of it and I gave away my first RX300.

I like the Vettes but they are made to be a low cost, sporty, super fast car comparatively speaking.

They are so low to the ground that they scratch the bottom wiper all the freaking time.

Also, since I don't track my cars I decided that my next car did not have to be a 3.8 second 0 to 60 car.

I did not want to buy German due to their reliability issues. Who wants to spend a ton of money on a car that keeps having reliability issues. A shame because I really like the German car looks.

I have seen that happen with a good friend that recently got a Mercedes C-400 that spent a great deal of time in the shop. He got rid of it and purchased an RX 350.

I considered a lot of cars, including Porsches (Macan Turbo and 911 Carrera S) but I already have a RX350 and decided not needing a Macan. At the end of the day it is still an SUV (on steroids).

The Carrera is a sweet car but it is designed more for speed than luxury, right?

So, for me, the best combination of speed, good looks, luxury and reliability is the LC 500.

I have driven it for 500 miles and I really like the car. Frankly, I don't have any issues with it.

And....The wife likes it !

Comments?

Regards to all !
Puertex

Old 01-05-19, 07:32 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

People see it and expect supercar performance because it has supercar looks. It's not a lot of performance for the money. It's a lot of "takumi" for the money. This is a GT car made for spirited real world driving, for people that also appreciate thoughtful artistry and craftsmanship. I've had mine for over a year now, and I still love it. It's the right balance of... everything for me. I don't desire anything more fast-and-furious than this, but I would consider the upcoming LCF if the styling isn't too outrageous (I wouldn't want a lot of GFX, canards, a giant wing, etc). I expect the LCF will come with significant refinements (to address some of the widely-publicized shortcomings in today's LC) as well as the anticipated 650-700 horses. If you need a supercar with accredited reliability, wait for the LCF. Otherwise, today's LC is one fine example of Japanese takumi IMO.
The following users liked this post:
SuperGT (01-06-19)
Old 01-06-19, 03:42 PM
uclabrruin
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Puertex
Hello to all,

At the end of the day people have to find what suits them the best.

I would like to share my reasons for buying a gorgeous 2018 LC500 with every option available.

I have had 2 Corvettes, 2 Bimmers, 1 Mercedes, 1 Volvo, 2 Lexus (1 IS350 and 2 RX350) and a few other cars.

I have had cars for 45 years now and in my experience Lexus makes the most reliable cars of the ones I have owned.

I sold my IS 350 just because I plain got tired of it and I gave away my first RX300.

I like the Vettes but they are made to be a low cost, sporty, super fast car comparatively speaking.

They are so low to the ground that they scratch the bottom wiper all the freaking time.

Also, since I don't track my cars I decided that my next car did not have to be a 3.8 second 0 to 60 car.

I did not want to buy German due to their reliability issues. Who wants to spend a ton of money on a car that keeps having reliability issues. A shame because I really like the German car looks.

I have seen that happen with a good friend that recently got a Mercedes C-400 that spent a great deal of time in the shop. He got rid of it and purchased an RX 350.

I considered a lot of cars, including Porsches (Macan Turbo and 911 Carrera S) but I already have a RX350 and decided not needing a Macan. At the end of the day it is still an SUV (on steroids).

The Carrera is a sweet car but it is designed more for speed than luxury, right?

So, for me, the best combination of speed, good looks, luxury and reliability is the LC 500.

I have driven it for 500 miles and I really like the car. Frankly, I don't have any issues with it.

And....The wife likes it !

Comments?

Regards to all !
Puertex
I feel almost exactly the same way. I'm cross-shopping an LC500 and a Jaguar F Type R, which is a car I have lusted after for several years. I currently have a Jaguar XF and I love it (plus an RX350), but it's time for something new. Both cars can be had for about the same money but my concern with the LC500 is justifying that much cash for such tepid performance. While the LC500 looks are polarizing, I'm i the "love it" camp, but it's still hard to justify the LC500 vs the RC F, which is exactly the same for 20k less.

I keep going back and forth, the F Type's comparatively lesser expected reliability is making it hard to justify THAT car, but lust is a powerful motivator. Re: reliability I would be waiting for the 2019 LC500, as buying the first year of any car seems less than prudent to me. Ultimately I may just wait for a 2020 Genesis G70...
Old 01-06-19, 06:05 PM
Puertex
Driver

Agreed.

I think that when a car gets above the 500 hp mark, it becomes increasingly challenging to infuse luxury into the design. It is because of this challenge that the cost of the car goes up.

Also, in this day and age, to increase the HP and attempt to maintain some semblance of fuel efficiency, turbos or superchargers need to be added to the mix.

Porsche recently decided, in the interest of fuel efficiency, to reduce the size of their 911 engines and compensate with turbos. For me, that is a turnoff.

I am a mechanical engineer with a decent understanding of rotating equipment. When you have turbos or supers, the maintenance awareness level goes up by a couple of notches for me. No more waiting for 10k miles before changing the Mobil 1.

Frankly, call me old school (you should because I am old), I don't like turbos or supers unless I am tracking a car.

For driving in the city or the nice Texas country roads, I don't need that much power. I just cant use it.

My days of tracking are distant in my rear view mirror.

Have a great week !

Puertex
Old 01-07-19, 07:20 AM
samnj
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ditto...

This is the finest car I've ever owned. The balance of beauty, power and reliability is unsurpassed. Plus, the rarity of this car on the road makes it a compelling statement.
The following users liked this post:
SuperGT (01-07-19)
Old 01-07-19, 05:43 PM
Puertex
Driver

Enjoy your car ! It is special !