LC Model (2018-present)

Depreciation and Resale Value?

Old 10-28-18, 07:42 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
I would be willing to bet you can't get $95K out of your LC 500 with 10,000 miles. I just sold mine August 2nd, and the Mercedes dealer gave
me $76,500 for mine with the performance package and 1250 miles in like new condition. Don't believe me, go to your McClaren dealer and have
them give you a quote on your car. Go to any dealership and ask them to give you a buy offer on your vehicle, won't cost you anything, just your
time. The LC 500 was too heavy to begin with and didn't have the right gearing in my opinion. The infotainment system sucks, it's hard to use.
the brakes are under engineered. It was a great cruising car with no back seat room, don't even know why they have a back seat. Let us know
what you come up with, I would purchase the 720S over the 570S.
I agree with this. I've always bought my cars fully-loaded, and those extra options seldom bring the trade-in value up by much. After a couple of years, they become negligible.
Old 10-28-18, 08:01 AM
Craig B

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by uchujin
In my experience, aftermarket modifications bring resale prices down, not up. Lexus dealers don't want to deal with aftermarket modifications because they can't certify them for resale. You pretty-much need to sell outright, rather than trade-in - if you hope to recoup the cost of aftermarket mods. Dealerships won't pay for non-OEM mods, and often deduct for them because they need to remove them to get the car certified. So, your best option is to try selling outright through something like Autotrader. It can be done, but it's just way easier to trade it to a dealer. This is why, with the exception of cosmetic changes (like wheels), I won't modify a new vehicle, like the LC. It's gonna depreciate a lot anyway. When an LCF comes out, no one's gonna want an LC that's trying to be an LCF (IMHO). I personally wouldn't buy a vehicle that someone else has been "tweaking". However, that said, it's a reward vs return game. It's fun to do mods that make the vehicle more personally appealing. Mod choices can be exciting and personally rewarding. That typically comes at a cost when it comes time to sell it, but that may well be an acceptable sacrifice.
My car can be brought back to stock, I have all the original headers and exhaust. I don't know why anyone would want to take the exhaust system off, but I know dealers only want to purchase stock vehicles for warranty purposes. I don't plan to sell my GT3, so I don't care. The IPE exhaust makes the car sound awesome. Lexus should have had a sport mode switch for their exhaust, I thought it wasn't loud enough. Even Mercedes and Audi have sport exhaust that you can change to quiet mode, Chevrolet has that on the Corvette. I have it on my GT3.
Old 10-28-18, 10:10 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,280 Posts

^^^^I have the PPE dual mode exhaust on my ISF with a switch. PPE has also made a system for the LC500. Headers & Exhaust.

Lou
Old 10-28-18, 11:59 AM
lychee416
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DRGibbons
You all know leasing is the MOST EXPENSIVE way to finance a vehicle, right? Leasing is just another way to finace with closer to an effective 10%-15% interest rate. Run the figures and you will see. There is a reason that car companies push leasing so enthusiastically. They make more money off of the lease than the actual profit on the vehicle. Kinda like credit cards . . . . . . .

I guess it is a way for people that can't really afford the vehicle to feel like they can . . . . . . .
Are you sure leasing to buy back is more expensive? The salesman said that I could leave a security deposit of $4500 for a Lexus is 300 AWD and lease to buyback without paying interest. Is he lying?
Old 10-28-18, 01:32 PM
chiroppa
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting reading the comments on this thread. If I can chime in as an average joe car buyer. Depreciation always sucks but unfortunate known part of purchasing a car. A 100k MSRP new LC can be had for low to mid 90k. As a perspective buyer, I'd expect a used LC to be at least 10k below that (low to mid 80s) to make it a choice. Dealer trade in, considering they need to mark the car up,store the car, take the risk, low to mid 70s on trade seems to be expected. Again, depreciation sucks but cars are rarely investments.

I don't expect this sharp trend to continue though as depreciation tends to be steepest the first year or two. Lexus reliability and low volume of LC's out there, Id expect our cars to retain more of their value than the german rivals over the next few years.

Last edited by chiroppa; 10-28-18 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-28-18, 02:18 PM
sgtLC
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I anticipate you can get an LC in 5-6 years for $30-$40k
Old 10-28-18, 04:47 PM
chiroppa
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtLC
I anticipate you can get an LC in 5-6 years for $30-$40k
I'd guestimate probably around $40 to $50k, depending on condition and miles. 5-6 year is a long time, especially if your daily driving it. Considering your original post you were considering leasing for 15k per year, that would assume the car is approaching 90k in miles after 6 yrs.

I would be curious how much a comparable 911 or DB11 would depreciate with that kind of mileage. Certain sportscar depreciation can be deceiving because most purchase them as garage queens/weekend cars and low miles are expected when purchased used.
Old 10-28-18, 04:59 PM
uchujin
Advanced

LOL - Apparently, you can get one now for $40K...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4744/overview/
Old 10-28-18, 05:07 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zeitaku
the fully optioned versions like mine are still commanding $95K+ with well over 10K miles on them.
Not so much. Here are just a few I've seen which clearly have the active wing (i.e. performance pkg)...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8165/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5791/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1368/overview/

Old 10-28-18, 11:16 PM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by uchujin
Not so much. Here are just a few I've seen which clearly have the active wing (i.e. performance pkg)...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8165/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5791/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1368/overview/

Here is your first link. This is a BASE model with active aero not the Performance Package model. Performance models have active aero, VGRS, active rear steering, carbon roof, carbon door sills, Levinson stereo surround, color HUD, alcantera headliner, seats and dash, 21" wheels etc. etc..
Old 10-28-18, 11:33 PM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
I would be willing to bet you can't get $95K out of your LC 500 with 10,000 miles. I just sold mine August 2nd, and the Mercedes dealer gave
me $76,500 for mine with the performance package and 1250 miles in like new condition. Don't believe me, go to your McClaren dealer and have
them give you a quote on your car. Go to any dealership and ask them to give you a buy offer on your vehicle, won't cost you anything, just your
time. The LC 500 was too heavy to begin with and didn't have the right gearing in my opinion. The infotainment system sucks, it's hard to use.
the brakes are under engineered. It was a great cruising car with no back seat room, don't even know why they have a back seat. Let us know
what you come up with, I would purchase the 720S over the 570S.
You sold it to a DEALER what did you think would happen here? Private party will always get more than pawning a car to a dealer. They low ball you 5-10% below book then run them through an auction were they can flip them over night. Secondly why would I spend $375K to simply run .3 faster in a 1/4 mile when I can get a used 2017 570S for around $160K or less? I just ran with Scottsdale McLaren today and got to play with two 720S, two 650S and a 12C the difference in power is minimal between the three models. More importantly my LC did quite well through the canyons keeping up with the Macs believe it or not. The LC can definitely carve turns and is quite boring in straight line and in day to day traffic like most drive it. Take a look at some of the footage I took today in the canyons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A46P...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-29-18, 03:43 AM
Craig B

You sold it to a DEALER what did you think would happen here? Private party will always get more than pawning a car to a dealer. They low ball you 5-10% below book then run them through an auction were they can flip them over night. Secondly why would I spend $375K to simply run .3 faster in a 1/4 mile when I can get a used 2017 570S for around $160K or less? I just ran with Scottsdale McLaren today and got to play with two 720S, two 650S and a 12C the difference in power is minimal between the three models. More importantly my LC did quite well through the canyons keeping up with the Macs believe it or not. The LC can definitely carve turns and is quite boring in straight line and in day to day traffic like most drive it. Take a look at some of the footage I took today in the canyons. I also forgot to mention the under engineered brakes.

I will watch your video, thanks! I'm just telling you, you will never be able to get $95K out of your LC with 10,000 miles on it. Lexus was giving an extra
$5K in July and August and might still be offering the incentive to buyers. They aren't selling well. I sold my car to a dealer because I found a Corvette ZR1
allocation at $12K under MSRP. I never received a build week, the body style was going to change, probably would have received a December build week.
They never told me the car wouldn't be built until December, I assumed it would be built when they put the order in August 3rd. GM called me October 9th
and said they couldn't tell me when it would be built. I cancelled my order that night via email to the dealer and started looking for a Porsche 991.2 GT3 loaded with a
manual transmission.. That's why I sold it to a dealer and if I had it to do over, I wouldn't have sold it to a dealer. I'm also glad I made the right decision not to purchase the ZR1.That's what happened. I'm glad you're happy with your LC 500, I was looking for a sports car, not a touring GT. I bought my LC 500 sight unseen. I was the first to receive a LC at my dealership, May 15, 2017. I've owned several cars and 9 Lexus vehicles. I know how the car business works. I also got irritated with Lexus over the fuel pump recall when I couldn't drive my vehicle for 2 months. The dealer told me I would be the first to receive the parts when they were available. The dealers were installing the first available parts on their inventory vehicles and not taking care of loyal customers. I raised hell with Lexus central office and received my parts. I got into a shouting match with the GM at my dealership. They made it hard for me to get a rental car, wouldn't pick me up at the airport, had to ride a shuttle to the airport, take an Uber to the dealership, when I would return the rental, they wouldn't offer me a ride back to the airport to take a shuttle 120 miles back to my house. It didn't help that I was taking care of my 90 year old mother that was too sick to leave alone, she passed away in early May. You wouldn't think they would treat a long time customer like that who has been loyal to the brand with their highest priced vehicle. That's the whole story, good luck selling your vehicle to a private party for $95K, let us know how that works out.

Last edited by Craig B; 10-29-18 at 03:50 AM.
Old 10-29-18, 03:51 AM
Craig B

I also forgot to mention the under engineered brakes.
Old 10-29-18, 04:32 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Here is your first link. This is a BASE model with active aero not the Performance Package model. Performance models have active aero, VGRS, active rear steering, carbon roof, carbon door sills, Levinson stereo surround, color HUD, alcantera headliner, seats and dash, 21" wheels etc. etc..
AFAIK, the active wing has never been offered as a separate option. In the U.S., if it has a pop-up wing, it has the Performance Package. Levinson, HUD, and Torsen are individual options, not part of the Performance Pkg. The vehicle links I posted all have the Active Wing, which means they have the Performance Package.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...e-package.html

https://www.lexus.com/models/LC/packages

Last edited by uchujin; 10-29-18 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-29-18, 06:17 AM
Craig B

You sold it to a DEALER what did you think would happen here? Private party will always get more than pawning a car to a dealer. They low ball you 5-10% below book then run them through an auction were they can flip them over night. Secondly why would I spend $375K to simply run .3 faster in a 1/4 mile when I can get a used 2017 570S for around $160K or less? I just ran with Scottsdale McLaren today and got to play with two 720S, two 650S and a 12C the difference in power is minimal between the three models. More importantly my LC did quite well through the canyons keeping up with the Macs believe it or not. The LC can definitely carve turns and is quite boring in straight line and in day to day traffic like most drive it. Take a look at some of the footage I took today in the canyons.

I also don't believe the LC 500 could keep up with a McLaren, I've watched videos where a 720S pulls away from a Corvette ZR1 which has 755 horsepower.
The LC 500 couldn't keep up with my GT3.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Depreciation and Resale Value?