LC Model (2018-present)

Dealer just replaced my brake pads and it's made a world of difference

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-18, 08:49 AM
nnicot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer just replaced my brake pads and it's made a world of difference

No more sounding like a train pulling into a station every time I approach a light. But an even bigger benefit is the drastic reduction in brake dust.

FYI, complained to service rep about annoying screeching noise every time braking, they replicated it, and offered to replace the pads w/ the caveat of sacrificing some performance. My car had about 3k miles, and service center was Longo Lexus in southern california.
Old 07-28-18, 09:40 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

See this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lc-...ke-issues.html

Lou
Old 07-28-18, 10:44 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by nnicot
No more sounding like a train pulling into a station every time I approach a light. But an even bigger benefit is the drastic reduction in brake dust.

FYI, complained to service rep about annoying screeching noise every time braking, they replicated it, and offered to replace the pads w/ the caveat of sacrificing some performance. My car had about 3k miles, and service center was Longo Lexus in southern california.
Good to know. The occasional noise I can live with, the dust is a whole other issue. Glad to know there’s a solution.
Old 07-28-18, 12:03 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

What type of pads did they use? Ceramic aftermarket? Or does Lexus now have alternative pads available for the LC? I ask because I've never heard of any authorized Lexus or Toyota dealership installing anything other than factory authorized Toyota, Lexus, or TRD parts. I know some dealers will install things like aftermarket wheels and WeatherTech mats, etc., but I would think there might be more significant liability issues with something like non-factory-approved brakes.

Last edited by uchujin; 07-28-18 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-28-18, 12:56 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^You may want to read the thread I linked. Your answer is in that thread.

Lou
Old 07-28-18, 01:41 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Thanks Lou. I read through those threads a while ago. I certainly could have missed something, but I don't recall reading anywhere that a related TSB for the LC has ever been announced(?). I searched online, but I could only find one TSB for the LC500: https://www.obd-codes.com/tsb/2018/lexus/lc500/ I think everyone's been anticipating a brake pad TSB for the LC, but I haven't seen any official announcement yet.

BTW - From the other thread you referenced, the associated TSB for the GS-F that I found - only mentions "alternative material" for those pads. Not that it matters to me too much if they do indeed help, but does anyone know definitively what this "alternative material" is? Ceramic? Ferro-carbon formula? Hybrid ceramic-metal compound?

(also, Lou - I sent you a pm a few days ago about my wheel offsets, in case you missed it)

Last edited by uchujin; 07-28-18 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-29-18, 07:04 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

My dealer said if I wasn't having a problem, they wouldn't put the TSB on my vehicle.
Old 07-29-18, 12:28 PM
dinobantin
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Brake pads

I was at my dealer to also have mine replaced until my sevice rep explain some difference between the old one and the new pads , with the new ones u dont get squick noise buf the braking distance for it very high as compared with the current ones and if i am not mistaken the new pads are and none brembo pads as the current one is, and also the current one is more costly compared with the replacement, and the oyher facts is which I know not everyone will even do it is that , with the replacement its not advisable to take to the tracks ..

so i. Decided to keep mine since i have a year to change my mind on the pads ..
Originally Posted by nnicot

Old 07-30-18, 12:38 PM
Walloon
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default brakes squeaking

I have had a variety of performance cars over the years, Audi, Porsche, BMW, and occasionally I get one with brakes that squeal or squeak. No one has ever done anything about it. My new LC does the same thing once in awhile. I will brake hard a few times and/or back up while applying the brakes and that stops it. When I get my new exhaust installed next week I will ask my dealer. I frankly hadn't even thought of it until I read the threads.
Old 07-30-18, 10:30 PM
nnicot
Driver School Candidate

Lived with it for a few days now and honestly, in day-to-day driving, I don't notice any difference at all in braking performance. I don't track, nor do I really push the car that much (judge away! lol), so any decrease in performance is farrrr overshadowed by the fact that I no longer have to wipe down my rims every other time I drive it.
Old 07-31-18, 06:14 AM
Walloon
Rookie

I will definitely mention it to my dealer next week. My car is currently in an area where there are great driving roads. Curves and hills and good, little traveled two lane roads. I have an S7, Porsche 911 and my LC there. I race them every time I take them out. One of the first things I noticed about the LC was the strong brakes. I can approach a corner very fast before having to brake and turn in. That said, I wouldn't want to compromise them much. I could go on about the car. It's a great back road racer. I have also done three hour trips and over nights with it. A comfortable cruiser with plenty of luggage space for that also. I have a Jag. XKRS at my winter home. That's also a comfortable GT with too much power but the whole package doesn't compete with the LC. I intend to drive the LC 1100 miles to my winter home this fall.
Old 07-31-18, 11:46 AM
uchujin
Advanced

My dealer confirmed the TSB for this. It was issued on April 3, 2018. Here it is...

The following 5 users liked this post by uchujin:
DRGibbons (07-31-18), guanche2k9 (07-31-18), Hoppean (07-31-18), nnicot (07-31-18), RichKeagy (12-09-18)
Old 07-31-18, 04:38 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Just heard from my dealer. Although this TSB was created in April, apparently it was just released - causing an INTERGALACTIC backorder on these! None in the country. 289 sets currently backordered.

Last edited by uchujin; 07-31-18 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-31-18, 07:22 PM
Walloon
Rookie

Thanks for the disappointing info. At least there is a fix. I called my dealer today and added brake pads to the app't. to get my exhaust done next week. I guess I will find out then whether they have any pads or not but sounds like they won't have them . As I mentioned earlier I have always backed up while applying the brakes lightly and that stopped it for awhile.
Old 07-31-18, 09:35 PM
nnicot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by uchujin
Just heard from my dealer. Although this TSB was created in April, apparently it was just released - causing an INTERGALACTIC backorder on these! None in the country. 289 sets currently backordered.
Damn, I guess I was lucky then!

Quick Reply: Dealer just replaced my brake pads and it's made a world of difference