LC Model (2018-present)

Dealer just replaced my brake pads and it's made a world of difference

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-18, 12:49 PM
LCDriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeitaku
I went with the Tom's Performer pads over the dealer offered alternatives.
1. No squeal
2. very little dust
3. same stopping power as the factory OEM race pads.
How many miles have you put on the Tom's Racing Performer Brake Pads? Still satisfied?
Old 06-25-19, 03:53 PM
timrudy
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default LC Pad Dist

I just ordered the Tom's Performer Brake Pads for my LC. (Not the track ones).

Lexus offered me the regular passenger car pads, but I have read that their stopping performance is atrocious, besides, I don't think they would be any better regarding the dust on those beautiful wheels. Reversing at 20mph and stabbing brakes seemed to clear the glaze on the Lexus HP Pads but I too am finding it hard to abide this brake dust. With 25,000 miles the pads, they are still more than 50% good. Like yours, they also grab a bit at lower speeds. The factory are actually terrific pads, but the machining on the barrels on those 21" factory wheels are just too beautiful to be covered with dust everyday. Ive tried, many products, including ceramic coating with not much success. I expect that these Tom's performer pads, based upon reviews, will do the trick.

After this brake dust issue is sorted, I will probably do the Tom's Dry Carbon ground effects all the way around with blue tips. Like you, I'm not liking those grandpa exhaust finishers either. Otherwise, its a perfect road trip car. The job it was designed for.

Mine is Atomic Silver as well. One question: How does the carbon fiber pattern on the Tom's match with the roof and door sills?

Originally Posted by uchujin

Thought I'd finally get around to posting my assessment on the TSB brake pad replacement...
  • Squeal/Noise
    Gone! Completely gone. Grade: A+!
    • Dust
      Almost non-existent. To give you an idea, I used to wear latex gloves and a clean microfiber rag to wipe down the wheels after every drive. I had to wear the gloves to keep my hands from turning black. When I was finished, I always trashed the rag because it was completely black - front and back. After the pad replacement, the rag typically has almost no black on it at all! This is a HUGE difference! Grade: A+!
      • Performance
        I knew there would be some sacrifice here. The stock pads were exceptionally fantastic. They stopped the car like they were super-magnets. The only down-side with the performance of the stock pads was - when moving at a slow speeds, they were sometimes a bit too "sticky" - stopping the car kind-of abruptly. But they were really impressive overall. The new pads aren't in the same league IMO. They work adequately, but nothing like the impressive gripping power of the stock pads. If I didn't ever experience the power of the stock pads, I would probably just think these new pads are normal. They perform fine, but they're not what I would call impressive. They brake like an ordinary car now, instead of like a high-end performer. I'm wondering if the performance might improve a bit after bedding the rotors a little more over time(?) Grade: B or C.
        • The Verdict
          Worth the performance trade-off, IMO. I suspect with time, I'll forget how fantastic the stock pads worked. I'll likely down-shift a lot anyway. On the plus side, it's SOOO nice seeing my wheels still shine after driving it! No more coating of black dust all over them after every drive! Also, no more cringing every time I brake - waiting for the squeal to happen. Basically - they do exactly what the TSB said they would do. So I'm happy with them - overall.
Old 06-25-19, 07:34 PM
Wkl01
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Do the 2019’s have the same issue?
Old 06-25-19, 07:45 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^IMHO, it's NOT an issue. It's a preference. And yes the 2019 and 2020 models have the same pads.

Lou
Old 06-25-19, 08:01 PM
hyboost
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 29 Posts

My 2019 had the same horrible noise from pads that started right around 400 miles from new. Original pads had a very aggressive bite to them but were very dusty and obviously noisy. Dropped the car off for the TSB and am very very happy with the result. Have put on about 500 miles on replacement pads and here is my review:

Dust: non existent
Noise: non existent
Bite: about 80% of original pads

I drove an ISF and GSF with ProjectMu pads for years and the TSB pads aren’t far off that. Original pads were much more aggressive but for street driving, trust me...this is enough. You’ll forget all about the difference after 2-3 days and then will enjoy the clean and quiet ride after that...
Old 06-25-19, 09:19 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^There's Project Mu and Project Mu. What pads are you talking about? I have PM on the read of my ISF, their strip/strip pad (KC+800) with Ferodo DS2500 in front. Both are GREAT pads with GREAT bite, and both dust. Both were also bedded in.

I pick up my new 2018 LC on Saturday in Lincoln NE. I will be driving home to AZ. The first thing I will do on my trip home is bed in the pads.

Lou
Old 06-25-19, 09:30 PM
hyboost
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^There's Project Mu and Project Mu. What pads are you talking about? I have PM on the read of my ISF, their strip/strip pad (KC+800) with Ferodo DS2500 in front. Both are GREAT pads with GREAT bite, and both dust. Both were also bedded in.

I pick up my new 2018 LC on Saturday in Lincoln NE. I will be driving home to AZ. The first thing I will do on my trip home is bed in the pads.

Lou
I used to run the normal NS street pad and that was fine for what I used the ISF for. I then tried the NS on the GSF and hated it...crazy amount of dust.
I guess it depends on your intent for the LC. I race an M3 with a huge PFC BBK running PFC11 pads and THAT is bite. LC is my street car so for me priority was quiet and low dust. I get my kicks on track with the other car. But if you are looking for ultimate performance for the LC brakes, then you will not be happy with the TSB pads.

Bedding original pads did not work for me by the way. Noise still showed up after a few hundred miles. Just my personal experience...
Old 06-26-19, 06:08 AM
Walloon
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have 10k miles on my Atomic Silver and do get the brake dust but seems to be no more than my other cars. It 's more visible as my other cars have darker wheels. I get a little squeal occasionally in the winter as I live in an area where there is no place to "drive". During the summer I can literally WOT out of my driveway and then its fast corners and straights. Never squeals during the summer. The brakes are the best I have ever had on a car and couldn't give up the performance. I would try the TOMS when they wear out but doesn't sound like that is going to happen. Incidentally I have the TOMS exhaust. Best investment I ever made. People take pics of the blue tips.
Old 01-27-20, 06:34 AM
SmoothB
Driver School Candidate

Default Lc500 Replacement breaks

I am getting my brakes changed today by the dealer I was wondering if you can give me an update on performance ability on stopping. the squeal noise and also brake dust after you’ve had them for a while thank you for your help
Old 01-27-20, 11:50 AM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SmoothB
I am getting my brakes changed today by the dealer I was wondering if you can give me an update on performance ability on stopping. the squeal noise and also brake dust after you’ve had them for a while thank you for your help
I got mine changed last year.
update: no more squeal! zero. Brake dust reduced 90%.
As for performance, you barely will notice during city driving. I do notice slightly softer brake (weaker) on freeway when 60+ mile/ per hour. All in all, it totally worth it!
The following users liked this post:
SuperGT (01-29-20)
Old 01-31-20, 04:07 AM
whtciv2k
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nnicot
No more sounding like a train pulling into a station every time I approach a light. But an even bigger benefit is the drastic reduction in brake dust.

FYI, complained to service rep about annoying screeching noise every time braking, they replicated it, and offered to replace the pads w/ the caveat of sacrificing some performance. My car had about 3k miles, and service center was Longo Lexus in southern california.
I come from a long line of sports cars and learned brake squeal for performance cars is pretty normal.... Its really not that bad. Gtr's squeal like a ****
Old 01-31-20, 04:49 AM
SmoothB
Driver School Candidate

Just got mine done. I’m happy! No more squeal way less brake dust. Not
much braking performance difference
Old 07-19-20, 09:43 PM
Armand
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Longo new pads

Longo Lexus just ( june 2020) replaced pads on 2018 LC. Quiet as can be. Service guy said they would dust like crazy...he was way wrong new pads beyond minimal dusting. Sqealing pad dusted like crazy