LC Model (2018-present)

Dealer just replaced my brake pads and it's made a world of difference

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-18, 05:16 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 146 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Walloon
Thanks for the disappointing info. At least there is a fix. I called my dealer today and added brake pads to the app't. to get my exhaust done next week. I guess I will find out then whether they have any pads or not but sounds like they won't have them . As I mentioned earlier I have always backed up while applying the brakes lightly and that stopped it for awhile.
I went over 2000 miles without ever experiencing squealing once. But now it seems to come and go. Neither hard-braking nor braking in reverse seems to reliably help. I can live with that, but the dust issue is enough to get me to do the TSB swap.

BTW - I think it's possible some dealerships may have stock on these. From what I understand, there are currently none available for dealers to acquire. But some dealers may already have some on hand. No big deal - we've been living with this for a while. A little longer won't matter much. Supply will eventually catch up to demand.

Oh, and my rep told me we can't keep the original pads. Dealers are supposedly required to return them to Toyota.

Last edited by uchujin; 08-01-18 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-01-18, 09:33 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

^^^^^They most defiantly do have to return them to be reimbursed by Lexus Corporate.

Lou
Old 08-08-18, 08:56 PM
Walloon
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

While my brakes have squealed only a couple of times after the car sat for a couple of days I appreciated the info. on replacement. As I had a dealer appt. to have a TOMS exhaust installed I had them order the new pads. I drove 240 miles at high speeds in intermittent rain to the dealer which was near my office. The car was amazing. Just returned back to my summer home today. My daily driver is an S7 and the LC is more comfortable,and more fun to drive with a better stereo.Easily spent 4 hours in it with one stop. With regard to the brakes . They did not make a sound during the whole three day 600 mile trip. If they don't do it more than occasionally I don't think I will change them as the brakes are very impressive when you drive aggressively like I do. They are much better than my Porsche, S7 or XKRS. My experience is that if the car sits and/or the brakes aren't used hard as they are intended they will squeak. Same issue I have had with some other performance cars. I must mention that I am very pleased with the TOMS exhaust. A little louder, no drone and the blue tips look amazing on my Atomic Silver car.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (06-25-19)
Old 08-23-18, 02:55 PM
Walloon
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

My brakes squealed a couple of times. I think after the car sat a couple of days. My dealer ordered the new pads but the brakes have never squealed since. I assume they won't squeak anymore, unless perhaps from sitting. I will keep the current pads as I think they are great and wouldn't want anything less. I put 1k miles on the car since they squeaked.
Old 08-24-18, 11:23 AM
sgtLC
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the original squeaky brakes. The dealer installed the new pads and now no more squealing!
Old 08-24-18, 07:16 PM
dinobantin
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am still waiting on mine since its being on back order for to weeks now..
Old 10-20-18, 07:32 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Thought I'd finally get around to posting my assessment on the TSB brake pad replacement...
  • Squeal/Noise
    Gone! Completely gone. Grade: A+!
  • Dust
    Almost non-existent. To give you an idea, I used to wear latex gloves and a clean microfiber rag to wipe down the wheels after every drive. I had to wear the gloves to keep my hands from turning black. When I was finished, I always trashed the rag because it was completely black - front and back. After the pad replacement, the rag typically has almost no black on it at all! This is a HUGE difference! Grade: A+!
  • Performance
    I knew there would be some sacrifice here. The stock pads were exceptionally fantastic. They stopped the car like they were super-magnets. The only down-side with the performance of the stock pads was - when moving at a slow speeds, they were sometimes a bit too "sticky" - stopping the car kind-of abruptly. But they were really impressive overall. The new pads aren't in the same league IMO. They work adequately, but nothing like the impressive gripping power of the stock pads. If I didn't ever experience the power of the stock pads, I would probably just think these new pads are normal. They perform fine, but they're not what I would call impressive. They brake like an ordinary car now, instead of like a high-end performer. I'm wondering if the performance might improve a bit after bedding the rotors a little more over time(?) Grade: B or C.
  • The Verdict
    Worth the performance trade-off, IMO. I suspect with time, I'll forget how fantastic the stock pads worked. I'll likely down-shift a lot anyway. On the plus side, it's SOOO nice seeing my wheels still shine after driving it! No more coating of black dust all over them after every drive! Also, no more cringing every time I brake - waiting for the squeal to happen. Basically - they do exactly what the TSB said they would do. So I'm happy with them - overall.

Last edited by uchujin; 10-20-18 at 09:57 AM.
signdetres (06-25-19)
Old 10-20-18, 01:07 PM
dinobantin
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My dealers just call to inform me mine is in

Originally Posted by nnicot
No more sounding like a train pulling into a station every time I approach a light. But an even bigger benefit is the drastic reduction in brake dust.

FYI, complained to service rep about annoying screeching noise every time braking, they replicated it, and offered to replace the pads w/ the caveat of sacrificing some performance. My car had about 3k miles, and service center was Longo Lexus in southern california.
I am on my way to have my replaced ., i cant wait...
Old 10-20-18, 01:25 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Can't say I would be excited for diminished braking power, my Porsche has carbon ceramic brakes. The brakes were under engineered on the LC 500 in my opinion.
Just the dust alone was unbearable.
Old 10-20-18, 04:01 PM
uchujin
Advanced

I wish I knew what materials the TSB pads are composed of. My Lexus mechanic suspected ceramic - but that's just an educated guess. TSB just states "alternative material". It certainly would be helpful to know - especially since other aftermarket options may be worth considering.
Old 10-21-18, 07:37 AM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

I went with the Tom's Performer pads over the dealer offered alternatives.
1. No squeal
2. very little dust
3. same stopping power as the factory OEM race pads.
uchujin (10-21-18)
Old 10-25-18, 11:09 AM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I just got my braking pads replaced at the dealer (TSB). So far no more noise. I do not notice any significant performance difference unless I floor the car. When I floor the car, then brake, I can feel TSB pads are softer. Generally I am very happy about those new pads.

One thing tho, my service guy told me TSB pads may cause more brake dust. I am not sure if he knows how much dust OEM pads can produce. I haven't driven long enough to tell the difference. Based on your guys above, I thought TSB produces much less brake dust? Hmm, I guess we will see.
Old 10-25-18, 11:12 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ahhadanny
I just got my braking pads replaced at the dealer (TSB). So far no more noise. I do not notice any significant performance difference unless I floor the car. When I floor the car, then brake, I can feel TSB pads are softer. Generally I am very happy about those new pads.

One thing tho, my service guy told me TSB pads may cause more brake dust. I am not sure if he knows how much dust OEM pads can produce. I haven't driven long enough to tell the difference. Based on your guys above, I thought TSB produces much less brake dust? Hmm, I guess we will see.
Let us know! I barely notice any dust at all now. Before it was really bad after EVERY drive.
Old 10-25-18, 11:17 AM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by uchujin
Let us know! I barely notice any dust at all now. Before it was really bad after EVERY drive.
I know, right? It took me long time to clean those wheels each time. Then, after one trip, they were dirty again, especially the front wheels.
Old 10-25-18, 11:58 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ahhadanny
I know, right? It took me long time to clean those wheels each time. Then, after one trip, they were dirty again, especially the front wheels.
Exactly. Rear wheels were never too bad, and much easier to clean (more clearance). As far as performance goes with the new pads, typical stop & go driving around the city seems the same to me. Aggressive braking - like entering an off-ramp at high speed - requires more noticeable pedal force IMO. Nothing dangerous or anything, just not as grippy.

Quick Reply: Dealer just replaced my brake pads and it's made a world of difference