Purchase Questions / Leasing Possibility / Reliability Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-18, 07:57 AM
Darrvao777
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase Questions / Leasing Possibility / Reliability Inquiry

Looking to purchase a new LC within the next year, had a couple of questions:

1) what is pricing like? Do most people get the dealers to budge off MSRP? We are coming from an X5 and despite high inventory, our local dealer also had high demand and would not move off of MSRP

2) would people recommend leasing or buying? I've previously only leased cars but with the new tax law coming into effect, I am now leaning towards buying. If buying, I'm looking to hold and use the car 3-5 years. The only hesitation I have is regarding reliability

3) I know it’s a Lexus but I’m coming off a bad experience (hellcat) what has everyone's experience been with the LC and reliability? If reliable, I feel more assured buying and using beyond the 3 year warranty period. If not, I'd feel more comfortable leasing and returning the vehicle at the conclusion of the 3 year warranty period (I've also leased a hellcat and a range Rover in the past and both have been reliability nightmares and I'm oh so glad it was a lease and not a purchased vehicle)

Thanks in advance, looking forward to being a part of the community!
Old 07-21-18, 08:54 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexus has continued to be the most reliable nameplate year after year. You could purchase or lease and not worry about previous problems you have had with other makes. The LC is a special model that is handmade by Takumis in a small factory setting much like the LFA supercar. There is in fact a lot of LFA lineage in the LC.

My favorite attribute of the LC500 is the suspension. If there were an Olympics for suspension design the LC would win the gold medal. It is incredibly easy to drive and has excellent sight lines which many coupes and exotics do not. My second favorite is the engine sound which is glorious from startup to downshifts. There are not that many in circulation so you will be noticed for just the sheer beauty of the sweeping lines. The interior is unlike any others and pleasing to the senses.

This is a special car that will have you grinning from ear to ear with it’s prowess. All I can do is offer encouragement.

Rock

The following users liked this post:
Darrvao777 (07-21-18)
Old 07-21-18, 09:40 AM
testmetest
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrvao777
I've previously only leased cars but with the new tax law coming into effect, I am now leaning towards buying.
What new tax law? What's happening? I was thinking of leasing an LC too...

Regarding reliability, I think Lexus always get great reliability scores.
Old 07-21-18, 09:45 AM
Darrvao777
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by testmetest
What new tax law? What's happening? I was thinking of leasing an LC too...

Regarding reliability, I think Lexus always get great reliability scores.
I used to lease cars and deduct them from business use as an employee. That is now eliminated in the new TCJA that passed. So my preference is to simplify and actually buy vehicles if I think I'm going to keep them 3-5 years+ or still continue leasing them if reliability is going to be a problem and I don't anticipate holding them beyond the standard warranty period (3-4 years)

Glad to hear everyone saying great things about the LC, looking forward to it
Old 07-21-18, 10:11 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

1) what is pricing like? Do most people get the dealers to budge off MSRP? We are coming from an X5 and despite high inventory, our local dealer also had high demand and would not move off of MSRP
Don't know if this will be extended beyond 7/31 (link below). Best case - you could get a new LC for $5K below invoice. That works out to be about $11K below MSRP (ballpark). I bought mine end of last August at invoice.

https://jalopnik.com/you-can-get-up-...upe-1827622551
Darrvao777 (07-21-18)
Old 07-21-18, 11:23 AM
testmetest
Driver

Originally Posted by uchujin
I bought mine end of last August at invoice.
Do you have a list of invoice pricing?
Old 07-21-18, 12:28 PM
Nyclife
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking to purchase a new LC within the next year, had a couple of questions:

We are coming from an X5 and despite high inventory, our local dealer also had high demand and would not move off of MSRP
If there are other dealers around, I'm sure you can get a good deal on one. Also look at the X6, it has a lot more incentives.

As for the LC, it is a lexus, you will have pretty great reliability compared to the X5 and Hellcat.

You can get far below invoice on an LC, they've been sitting on lots forever.
Darrvao777 (07-21-18)
Old 07-21-18, 12:31 PM
Darrvao777
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nyclife
If there are other dealers around, I'm sure you can get a good deal on one. Also look at the X6, it has a lot more incentives.

As for the LC, it is a lexus, you will have pretty great reliability compared to the X5 and Hellcat.

You can get far below invoice on an LC, they've been sitting on lots forever.
Thanks

We actually had a decent experience with the X5 in terms of reliability and got great lease terms. Just didn't see ourselves living long term with it even though nothing was wrong with it.

We have 2 dealers in the area with 3 models of the LC and we aren't picky on color so hopefully we can negotiate quite a bit. Do you think it makes more sense to lease or purchase the LC?
Old 07-21-18, 12:36 PM
Nyclife
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks

We actually had a decent experience with the X5 in terms of reliability and got great lease terms. Just didn't see ourselves living long term with it even though nothing was wrong with it.

We have 2 dealers in the area with 3 models of the LC and we aren't picky on color so hopefully we can negotiate quite a bit. Do you think it makes more sense to lease or purchase the LC?
I've sold a couple of LCs and both clients struggled with the same thing. One of them is leasing it, to eventually buy it. The money factor is so low on the LC right now, that it makes sense to lease it. That way you can test out the car for a couple of years and if you really like it you can buy it out. If you don't like it you don't have to buy it out.
Darrvao777 (07-21-18)
Old 07-21-18, 12:56 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Do you have a list of invoice pricing?
I don't have current access to exact invoice pricing, but some subscription services like Consumer Reports, Costco, etc., offer online invoice pricing. My LC was fully-loaded with the Performance Pkg and was discounted $6834, which they told me at the time was dealer cost. There were no additional factory cash incentives at that time. Now is definitely a good time to buy one, if you can find the color and options you want.

About the only negative experience that people seem to complain about most often is occasional brake noise. Mine just started doing this a couple of weeks ago, only at creeping-speed in stop-and-go traffic. It doesn't concern me much. I suspect it will come and go over time with giant brakes like these. I can always try aftermarket Brembos with slotted rotors and maybe ceramic pads down the road if it persists and/or gets worse. I don't have much confidence that a successful TSB fix will ever happen, but who knows...
Old 07-21-18, 01:31 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don’t think it would be worth it to change to Brembos because it has a similar design with 6 Piston monoblock calipers up front and 4 piston out back? All vented. High friction brakes can be noisy at times in the wear process.
Old 07-21-18, 03:44 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rockville
I don’t think it would be worth it to change to Brembos because it has a similar design with 6 Piston monoblock calipers up front and 4 piston out back? All vented. High friction brakes can be noisy at times in the wear process.
I agree about the calipers. I was thinking mostly about slotted rotors and different pads. My hope would be that a slotted rotor surface might be better than a flat, homogeneous surface (the LC doesn't have drilled or slotted rotors). Maybe slots would allow some of the dust to escape the rotor surface more readily(?). Ceramic pads seem to help (sometimes) from what I've read on this and other forums - with the understanding that performance takes a small hit. I've posted this link a few times before. Pricey but sweet. I like the slotted or Type 3 rotor design...

https://www.racetechnologies.com/pro...17/lexus/lc500

Old 07-22-18, 05:50 PM
testmetest
Driver

Originally Posted by uchujin
I don't have current access to exact invoice pricing, but some subscription services like Consumer Reports, Costco, etc., offer online invoice pricing.
Thanks, Costco seems to give invoice pricing. Very helpful.
Darrvao777 (07-22-18)
Old 07-22-18, 06:30 PM
Darrvao777
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Costco seems to give invoice pricing. Very helpful.
That's a neat trick, never realized that before
Old 07-23-18, 11:18 AM
pL86
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lease Feedback

Hello, I'm talking to a dealer about leasing an LC 500 and would appreciate thoughts on the current offer:

MSRP $109,758
selling price $100,758 (Lexus is offering a $4000 rebate on leases right now, so the dealer discount is $5,758 or 5.25% off MSRP)
money factor 0.00071
residuals 10k 49%, 12k 48%, 15k $46%
$5k down

36 month lease @ 10k per year, monthly lease $1500/month, including taxes
36 month lease @ 12k per year, monthly lease $1530/month, including taxes

Dealer is also offering by way of comparison a 60 month financing at the sales price of $104,758 for $2,000, which seems terrible since the discount in the sale price is the only the current $5,000 Lexus rebate. This is with average credit model, they haven't run my specific credit which fall in the very good/excellent range.

$1500 lease with taxes (9% in PA) and $5000 down payment doesn't seem very good but is this where the market is right now and as good as it's going to get with interest rates rising? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by pL86; 07-23-18 at 11:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Purchase Questions / Leasing Possibility / Reliability Inquiry