LC Model (2018-present)

Best aftermarket exhaust yet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-18, 04:36 AM
LCInfrared
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Best aftermarket exhaust yet?

This could very well be the best option available in the near future. Unlike Tom's exhaust/diffuser, this one manages rear underbody air flow and diffusion correctly, insuring that the car will experience minimal rear lift. Unfortunately, Tom's system adds several air turbulance areas to the LC's rear underbody, creating important ''lift'' and subsequent instability that increases with speed. Plus this Reverse system has remote exhaust flap control. As an aeronautical engineer, this is the first aftermarket exhaust/diffuser system that would get my seal of approval if/when it comes to America and Europe!

Last edited by LCInfrared; 06-26-18 at 04:48 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by LCInfrared:
guanche2k9 (06-26-18), JONPRON (03-02-19), ziggy1 (06-26-18)
Old 06-26-18, 09:25 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it. Pretty dramatic difference when the baffles are opened. Wonder if it has any effect on HP/torque responses
Old 06-26-18, 06:21 PM
IowaLC
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the link!
Old 06-26-18, 07:08 PM
SimonBerk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh man... i need this in my life
Old 06-27-18, 01:15 AM
LCInfrared
Rookie

Originally Posted by ziggy1
it. Pretty dramatic difference when the baffles are opened. Wonder if it has any effect on HP/torque responses
Typically, dyno tests should show 5-7 HP gain and up to 10 pounds of additional torque in full open mode.
The following users liked this post:
ziggy1 (06-27-18)
Old 06-27-18, 07:22 AM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

It would be nice if they could integrate the flap control into the drive-mode logic, as well having some kind of dash-mounted manual switch. Fumbling with the clicker while driving isn't optimal. I suppose one could Velcro the remote fob to a convenient location somewhere. I like the diffuser design a lot!
Old 07-23-18, 10:43 PM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Done/
Old 07-23-18, 10:47 PM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LCInfrared
This could very well be the best option available in the near future. Unlike Tom's exhaust/diffuser, this one manages rear underbody air flow and diffusion correctly, insuring that the car will experience minimal rear lift. Unfortunately, Tom's system adds several air turbulance areas to the LC's rear underbody, creating important ''lift'' and subsequent instability that increases with speed. Plus this Reverse system has remote exhaust flap control. As an aeronautical engineer, this is the first aftermarket exhaust/diffuser system that would get my seal of approval if/when it comes to America and Europe!

https://youtu.be/i4dI7-hBaiI
Not sure where you got your info from. I have the Tom's full dry carbon aero kit on my car. There was extensive testing done with the Tom's kit with a flow chart both on Fuji Speedway and in a wind tunnel. There is no lift on the rear of the car and I have had mine over 160mph and it was glued to the pavement.
Old 07-24-18, 03:16 AM
LCInfrared
Rookie

Originally Posted by Zeitaku
Not sure where you got your info from. I have the Tom's full dry carbon aero kit on my car. There was extensive testing done with the Tom's kit with a flow chart both on Fuji Speedway and in a wind tunnel. There is no lift on the rear of the car and I have had mine over 160mph and it was glued to the pavement.
I am talking about the exhaust design creating lift while you are talking about the aero kit's performance, two different products that are not related.

Last edited by LCInfrared; 07-24-18 at 08:06 AM.
Old 07-30-18, 10:33 AM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

I am talking about the exhaust design creating lift while you are talking about the aero kit's performance, two different products that are not related.
You're an aeronautical engineer? (yawn). So, you independently tested the Tom's Titan exhaust system as well as the Tom's rear difusser for the LC500 to substantiate your claims? Please post your draft reports and which wind tunnel you used. I'm very intrigued by this, as I'm sure Tom's japan will be too.

I saw and read the final wind tunnel draft reports on the Tom's kit when I bought my exhaust and aero kit from Apex-I USA. Tom's did their homework. However and more importantly I personally have had the Tom's titan exhaust kit and their dry carbon aero kit on my LC for over 5 months now. I have had the car over 150mph+ with the current 21" wheels there is no lift I assure you. The car is solidly planted and steering is tight.

The diffuser is in fact part of the Tom's full aero kit FYI
Unlike Tom's exhaust/diffuser, this one manages rear underbody air flow and diffusion correctly, insuring that the car will experience minimal rear lift. Unfortunately, Tom's system adds several air turbulance areas to the LC's rear underbody, creating important ''lift'' and subsequent instability that increases with speed.
SUNLINE (03-01-19)
Old 03-01-19, 07:42 AM
Puertex
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by uchujin
It would be nice if they could integrate the flap control into the drive-mode logic, as well having some kind of dash-mounted manual switch. Fumbling with the clicker while driving isn't optimal. I suppose one could Velcro the remote fob to a convenient location somewhere. I like the diffuser design a lot!
Is there a way to open up the baffles with the existing control interface?
I saw someone here that disconnected the wiring underneath the car.
Thanks, Puertex
Old 03-02-19, 08:11 AM
SuperGT
Pole Position

Received 148 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Puertex
Is there a way to open up the baffles with the existing control interface?
I saw someone here that disconnected the wiring underneath the car.
Thanks, Puertex
Yes indeed, by disconnecting the 4 cables (two per valve) will have them permanently in the full open position without any codes or problems with the car's ECU.
Puertex (03-02-19)
Old 03-02-19, 12:23 PM
Puertex
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperGT
Yes indeed, by disconnecting the 4 cables (two per valve) will have them permanently in the full open position without any codes or problems with the car's ECU.
When you disconnect the cables, I suppose the car stays as loud as when you start it up, but not any louder?
Thanks !
Puertex