LC Model (2018-present)

Ideal Audio System Settings?

Old 05-22-18, 02:05 PM
web4488
Pit Crew

Received 98 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Ideal Audio System Settings?

Hi All!
Does anyone have what they believe are ideal audio settings (besides the factory setting) for the Mark Levinson system? Love the system, but it sounds like it has more of a front speaker bias because that's what I believe I'm hearing primarily.
Old 05-22-18, 02:12 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree. Admittedly, I haven't spent much time fooling around with the audio system playing music since DRIVING this machine is such a blast, but it almost sounds like the great majority of sound is emanating from that dash speaker.
Old 05-22-18, 08:10 PM
donaldp
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is very heavy to the front as well. If I adjust the fader down three notches to the rear, then the rear is at the level I'm happy with but the overall output is greatly reduced. There has to be a different solution here. This cannot be the way it's supposed to be.
Old 05-22-18, 08:41 PM
web4488
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by donaldp
Mine is very heavy to the front as well. If I adjust the fader down three notches to the rear, then the rear is at the level I'm happy with but the overall output is greatly reduced. There has to be a different solution here. This cannot be the way it's supposed to be.

Right? That's what I'm talking about!
Old 05-22-18, 11:30 PM
Thorne
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by donaldp
Funny, I've done the same thing. I forgot that I had set it this way until your post reminded me!

When I asked someone about it at the dealership a few months ago, he said "all premium car systems are like that". I asked him if he'd like to listen to the Burmeister in my Porsche and then rephrase his comment. He said, "Actually, I was only referring to Lexus premium systems". Yessir.
Old 05-23-18, 07:14 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've done the same (shifting the fader to the rear - also did the same in my RX). It seems that all that does is decrease the output from the front speakers therefore leading to overall reduction in volume. Obviously, I compensate for that by adjusting the volume to what I want.
Old 05-23-18, 04:45 PM
web4488
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ziggy1
I've done the same (shifting the fader to the rear - also did the same in my RX). It seems that all that does is decrease the output from the front speakers therefore leading to overall reduction in volume. Obviously, I compensate for that by adjusting the volume to what I want.
I've done that as well, but I don't like the diminished full sound from the front.
Old 05-26-18, 07:35 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

This is an interesting discussion. We have had similar discussions on the ISF forum for years. It seems like Lexus has never really addressed this weakness in the their Mark Levinson systems. The ISF guys usually add an extra amp. It's too bad because in terms of sound clarity the ML system is really good. The problem is that the system never seems to be able to give adequate volume to allow you to feel like you are immersed in the sound. My Nakamichi system in my 98 GS400 is incredible in the way it fills the car cabin with good clean sound. If I could get the volume of the Nakamichi sound with the clarity of the ML I would have the ultimate system.
Old 05-26-18, 10:43 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I went through a period where I spent too much time and $ on car audio upgrades. Doing all the research on the online forums, etc., yielded the consensus (at least on those forums) that a front biased (AKA a front sound stage) system is 'correct.' Here is a little excerpt from a crutchfield article (https://www.crutchfield.com/S-EeCG4C...oundstage.html) :

Adjusting for rear fill
Once you have your front speakers installed to your liking, you'll want to make sure that your rear speakers are doing their part to create an ideal soundstage. While personal taste plays a role here, most experts agree that you should adjust the volume level for rear speakers so that you're barely conscious of their presence.

While your front speakers should give you the best midrange and high frequencies possible, your rear speakers can be conventional coaxials or low frequency drivers. Their purpose is to add ambiance and depth to your forward soundstage. If they reveal too much high frequency information, they'll "pull" the stereo image to the rear of your vehicle, away from where you want it.

Knowing all this, my first two systems still included coaxial rears as I initially preferred a more even (front to back) soundstage. However, as I played around with the settings, I eventually went all front soundstage. I disconnected the rears and bi-amped the MBQuart QM separates (which made a slight, but noticeable improvement). It also helps to have a JL12w7 for sub frequencies in the trunk. You might loose a little quantity/SPL but the quality was definitely improved.

I guess my point, in an unnecessarily long post, is that maybe (personal preference aside) Lexus/ML knows more about this than we might? Right or wrong, I do think they should still allow the owner as much adjustment as possible even if they consider it 'incorrect.'
The following 2 users liked this post by al503:
MrLogan13 (10-14-19), tigmd99 (10-21-19)
Old 05-27-18, 07:43 AM
IowaLC
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Once I turned the Surround Sound off, the ML sounded great to me. No fade adjustment necessary. If you can constantly hear the rears, you're not really hearing the music as intended, in stereo.
The following 2 users liked this post by IowaLC:
MrLogan13 (10-14-19), web4488 (05-29-18)
Old 05-29-18, 09:14 AM
web4488
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by IowaLC
Once I turned the Surround Sound off, the ML sounded great to me. No fade adjustment necessary. If you can constantly hear the rears, you're not really hearing the music as intended, in stereo.
I hadn't considered turning off the surround effect. I'll give that a try. Despite the opinion of the professionals, audio settings are like art: it's in the ears of the beholders.
Old 09-26-19, 08:17 AM
patcat
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with web4488, personal preference prevails. I just purchased a 2018 with 2300 miles on it. I love everything about the car except the Mark Levinson. To my "apparently unsophisticated" ear it sounds tinny and heavily front loaded. I have adjusted 4 clicks to the rear, raised the bass 4 clicks, and lowered the treble 3 clicks. It is much better but still not the full sound of my 2002 Landcruiser with only six speakers.
That said, best car that I have ever owned. I sold my 2010 ZR1 because my wife got tired of the stiff and loud ride and always insisted that we take her RX350 or the old Landcruiser when going on a drive of more than ten miles. She loves the LC.
Old 09-26-19, 05:36 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

With a proper sound stage and imaging, when you close your eyes. The music is supposed to sound like it's coming from directly in front of you and slightly above your head. Rear speakers can be used to create height and depth but they only need to be a fraction as loud as the front. There's a long thread in the 7th gen section with people complaining and thinking it's a defect and a small percent of people saying that's how it was designed
The following users liked this post:
MrLogan13 (10-14-19)
Old 09-26-19, 10:42 PM
web4488
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexRuger
With a proper sound stage and imaging, when you close your eyes. The music is supposed to sound like it's coming from directly in front of you and slightly above your head. Rear speakers can be used to create height and depth but they only need to be a fraction as loud as the front. There's a long thread in the 7th gen section with people complaining and thinking it's a defect and a small percent of people saying that's how it was designed
As I've said before, beauty is in the ears of the beholder.....And in this case, I ain't liking what I'm beholdin'! I would prefer if I actually could sense the presence of the rear speakers rather than feeling like I'm only hearing the fronts.
Old 09-27-19, 05:46 AM
patcat
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by web4488
As I've said before, beauty is in the ears of the beholder.....And in this case, I ain't liking what I'm beholdin'! I would prefer if I actually could sense the presence of the rear speakers rather than feeling like I'm only hearing the fronts.
Ditto that! Perhaps, though, it is my 65 year old ears that don't hear all of the frequencies that they used to. Maybe young ears hear the tones that mine are missing out on and can appreciate the more crisp digital quality. Oh well, I still do appreciate the stellar exhaust note of the LC.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ideal Audio System Settings?