LC Model (2018-present)

Tires

Old 09-29-17, 12:45 PM
missedapex
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Tires

Hello folks,

Just wondering which tires folks got with their 2018 LC. My LC has the performance package and was delivered with the Bridgestone s001l vs the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. It seems that test results are showing that the Super Sports are an improvement over the Bridgestones. Which ones did you get?
Old 09-29-17, 12:52 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by missedapex
Hello folks,

Just wondering which tires folks got with their 2018 LC. My LC has the performance package and was delivered with the Bridgestone s001l vs the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. It seems that test results are showing that the Super Sports are an improvement over the Bridgestones. Which ones did you get?
I also got stuck with the Bridgestone's, I wanted the Michelin's... When they wear out, I will switch to Michelin's.
Old 09-29-17, 02:50 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

Mine also came with Bridgestone Potenzas. I checked a few online resources (including Tire Rack), and didn't find these Michelins in this size available in the US (yet). I'm OK with the Bridgestone tires because I'm not racing them, and I like the fact that they were designed specifically for the LC (link below). If you look closely you'll see the Lexus "L" design repeated around the tire - where the tread meets the sidewall. I like this cool detail. Unless competitive slalom times are a priority, I think the Bridgestone tires provide the right balance between performance and a luxury ride. For my driving style, I would buy these same exact tires when the time comes to replace them.

http://www.bridgestone.com/corporate...016120901.html

Last edited by uchujin; 09-29-17 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-29-17, 03:14 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
I also got stuck with the Bridgestone's, I wanted the Michelin's... When they wear out, I will switch to Michelin's.
Maybe you think you got stuck, but I do not. I'm running Bridgestone S-04s on my ISF. And I luv them. The construction and tread is very similar to the S001 so I would expect performance to be comparable. The S-04 is an after market only tire while the S001 is an OEM tire built to the same standards.

Lou
Old 09-29-17, 04:13 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Maybe you think you got stuck, but I do not. I'm running Bridgestone S-04s on my ISF. And I luv them. The construction and tread is very similar to the S001 so I would expect performance to be comparable. The S-04 is an after market only tire while the S001 is an OEM tire built to the same standards.

Lou
Thanks, I have no problems with them, but will switch when they wear out.
Old 09-29-17, 06:24 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

anyone planning to ditch run flats when the originals wear out?
Old 05-16-18, 11:11 AM
RCFun
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Yup..a run flat tire question

I've had my LC for a month, and got my first nail last Saturday. I was 1/4" away from the dreaded "non-patchable" sidewall, so I was lucky. Is it stupid to carry your own set of spares in the truck (a front and rear)? I got through a few years of my RC F without a puncture, but it had a repair kit. I'm worried about being far away from a dealer, or not being able to repair a puncture, or it being a Sunday/night/holiday. Does anyone do this?
Old 05-16-18, 11:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

im not seeing how a spare tire can even fit in the already tiny trunk
Old 05-16-18, 11:40 AM
walkedu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lexus roadside assistance or Triple A should be able to fix it. Ive had runflats on a lot of my cars and have actually driven around on it for a day before I could get one repaired or replaced, shouldnt be a problem.

That being said I just had my tire patched up because of a nail also last week. It would have to be a special order if you want the OEM run flats because they were specifically made for the car.
Old 05-16-18, 12:29 PM
RCFun
Driver

Originally Posted by walkedu
Lexus roadside assistance or Triple A should be able to fix it. Ive had runflats on a lot of my cars and have actually driven around on it for a day before I could get one repaired or replaced, shouldnt be a problem.

That being said I just had my tire patched up because of a nail also last week. It would have to be a special order if you want the OEM run flats because they were specifically made for the car.
Before I went to see if I could get it patched I called the dealership and they had 1 in stock for $304, which is better than tirerack that was listing them for $344. I was surprised. Also, There are cheaper RF options or non-RF as spares (about $160).

And honestly, I haven't even looked to see if you could put 2 tires in the trunk!
Old 05-16-18, 01:50 PM
walkedu
Driver

Originally Posted by RCFun
Before I went to see if I could get it patched I called the dealership and they had 1 in stock for $304, which is better than tirerack that was listing them for $344. I was surprised. Also, There are cheaper RF options or non-RF as spares (about $160).

And honestly, I haven't even looked to see if you could put 2 tires in the trunk!
Thats actually not a bad price, was it for the rear or front? I dont think you will be able to fit 1 full sized tire in the rare let alone 2. Doesnt hurt to try though... I want to run 295's in the rear once my run flats are done. Believe it or not I still have problems with traction at lower gears when I do spirited driving.
Old 05-16-18, 02:41 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^The LC50 has 8½" & 9½" wheels front to rear, that's , that's ½" narrower RCF and the GSF. Because of this you can not run 295s. See attachment with manufacturer's recommendations.

Don't know if you're on 20s or 21s, so showing them both.

Lou
Old 05-16-18, 03:14 PM
walkedu
Driver

Should have clarified it would be on different rims. That being said 295's can be run on a 9.5 inch (just not optimal), had a few friends running them on their cl65's those were in 19's with a custom offset.
Old 05-16-18, 05:08 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

I've also considered this after I blew out a front sidewall on a pothole earlier this month. Although the sidewall split, the tire never lost air, so I was able to get home. If you really want a spare in the trunk, a good tire/wheel shop can set you up with a "donut" (cheap skinny wheel and tire) that will work front or back, and will get you where you need to go. You don't need a full-size setup for emergency-only use. You will likely also need a set of lugs too if you go this route, since the OEM lugs probably won't fit on a donut rim.

A more costly alternative is to have a custom forged rim fabricated (and may as well build it to allow for OEM hardware). You can still save some cost be going narrower than the OEM size. A good wheel shop can do this with the proper offset and clearance to work front or back.

If you want to go stock, I believe the front wheel/tire setup will fit fine on the back of the LC. I haven't checked whether it actually fits inside the trunk though.

Remember - you'll also need to carry around a jack and lug (or socket) wrench too! Although my vehicle didn't come with these, there appears to be cutouts for these tools under the carpet area. Presumably, a Lexus dealer should be able to acquires these tools - to fit inside those cutouts.

Last edited by uchujin; 05-16-18 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-17-18, 05:36 AM
RCFun
Driver

Good point about a generic donut. I didn't even think about the rim, I was more of the mindset to just have the tire and then be able to have any tire shop mount it on the existing rim. The run flat will get me to the shop on a Sunday, it's more about what happens once I'm there. However, the idea of having the donut that could fit the front AND the rear temporarily might be a good compromise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires