LC Model (2018-present)

Test drove and LC Last Friday and it died

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-18, 04:55 PM
LexTester
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove and LC Last Friday and it died

I test drove an LC500 this past Friday. It drove nicely for a heavy car. Had a lot of punch and go with some good exhaust growl. The shifter was funky for me and that would take a few times to get used to. Also the infotainment would take some getting used to as well. The cup holder could of been placed in a better position.

However, getting to the main point, when I was driving the car back it stuttered and then died on me. The salesman clicked the start button and I was able to drive it a little ways further before we switched seats. He tried to drive it back to the dealership but couldn't, it stuttered too much. They had to pick us up in another vehicle.

The sales guy admitted it had this issue several months ago, but that they weren't able to duplicate it, and Lexus sent out some experts from Japan to try to duplicate it as well. Until I test drove and was able to make it happen again. He said this was the only car in the nation that Lexus knows of this kind of problem.

Has anyone here seen similar issues with their LC500? I was really wanting one, but now I am hesitant. Not sure if this issue will creep into other LC500, or if this is just a bad fluke.
Old 05-08-18, 05:13 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I work at a Lexus dealership and we haven’t seen anything like that before. That’s a very strange issue. I heard of a recall on the RC-F, LC500, and GS-F but I don’t know much about it or what it was for. We weren’t allowed to sell them for a brief period of time but that is no longer an issue.
The following users liked this post:
LexTester (05-08-18)
Old 05-08-18, 05:48 PM
LexTester
Driver School Candidate

This car is a dealer demo vehicle, it's considered used, but doesn't have any personal owners that had it. Looking at used, I see this one website already lists 57 used LC500s. People already trading them for something different. I can't see myself wasting that kind of money so quickly. But at least for me, it's more cars to choose from, if I go this route.
Old 05-08-18, 06:46 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

If it were a re-occurring issue, it would have certainly shown up in (at least) one of the Lexus forums. I scan those regularly and haven't seen anything like this at all. The only thing I can think of that might be relevant - is the known fuel pump recall, which has been more of a preemptive fix. No one has actually experienced an issue with this that I recall seeing. I'm doubtful this is the issue here though. Sounds more like some computer issue, or maybe bad gasoline.
LexTester (05-09-18)
Old 05-08-18, 11:04 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Which dealer was this? I'm surprised that the dealer didn't just send the car back to Lexus..... really reflects badly on Lexus AND the dealer to keep a car they KNOW that has problems as a DEMO for others to see. How embarrassing.
guanche2k9 (05-10-18)
Old 05-09-18, 04:38 AM
LexTester
Driver School Candidate

It was Lexus of Colorado Springs.

Last edited by LexTester; 05-09-18 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-09-18, 03:21 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

^^ trolling, don’t feed.
Old 05-09-18, 04:19 PM
LexTester
Driver School Candidate

The reason I posted this, is because I'm still very interested in getting one. It's the flashiest car for the price that I know of. My other option is a Porsche 911 Carrera (used) or a Lexus RC-F. Although the RC-F is not as flashy.

I asked the salesguy on Monday if they found this issue yet, but they are still diagnosing the problem. He is going to call me next Monday to see if I was interested in the RC-F. I will ask him again about the issue. I wasn't going to buy the specific LC500, because I didn't like the interior color.

There is one in Texas that will ship for $800, and it has like a 1,100 miles on it. but I would be buying site unseen. Not sure if one should ever do that or not.
Old 10-06-19, 12:35 AM
SL%%
Rookie

O
Originally Posted by LexTester
I test drove an LC500 this past Friday. It drove nicely for a heavy car. Had a lot of punch and go with some good exhaust growl. The shifter was funky for me and that would take a few times to get used to. Also the infotainment would take some getting used to as well. The cup holder could of been placed in a better position.

However, getting to the main point, when I was driving the car back it stuttered and then died on me. The salesman clicked the start button and I was able to drive it a little ways further before we switched seats. He tried to drive it back to the dealership but couldn't, it stuttered too much. They had to pick us up in another vehicle.

The sales guy admitted it had this issue several months ago, but that they weren't able to duplicate it, and Lexus sent out some experts from Japan to try to duplicate it as well. Until I test drove and was able to make it happen again. He said this was the only car in the nation that Lexus knows of this kind of problem.

Has anyone here seen similar issues with their LC500? I was really wanting one, but now I am hesitant. Not sure if this issue will creep into other LC500, or if this is just a bad fluke.
what is the year odel of the vehicle?
Old 10-06-19, 10:29 AM
dinobantin
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

oh know not that dealership, almost purchased a second LC500 for the family .. but something made me change my mind to go with another dearler..
Old 10-06-19, 11:18 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by SL%%
O

what is the year odel of the vehicle?
For the life of me I don't understand what made you bring back a year and a half old thread that went absolutely nowhere

And I would have to say that since the thread was started in May of 2018, the "odel" or model year was, let's see now, maybe 2018 since that was what was released at that point in time in 2018.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 10-06-19 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-06-19, 04:25 PM
Exhilr8n
Intermediate

Received 210 Likes on 121 Posts

Sounds just like the symptom description for ours, fuel pump issue.
Old 10-07-19, 04:20 AM
SuperGT
Pole Position

Received 148 Likes on 76 Posts

Troll, please ignore.
MrLogan13 (10-14-19)