LC Model (2018-present)

Lexus Survey responses

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-18, 09:32 AM
nodeal
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Lexus Survey responses

I decided to fill out a survey Lexus sent me. Any ideas to work around the climate control issues?

Headrest
It doesn't actually support the head. It just forces you to hold your head at an awkward angle facing slightly down.

Sunglass holder
There is none.

Interior fit and appearance problem other than listed above
Why in 2018 isn't there a place for a phone? Or even a simple mount location for a phone holder?

Park assist sensors
The front sensors are not reliable for detecting low obstacles like curbs.

Lane keep assist/Lane departure alert
LKA operates so poorly that it is not even a legitimate feature.

Pre-Collision warning
Situations occur in which the driver can predict that a vehicle will be out of the way before a collision and that slowing down is not necessary. The driver must focus in such moments in case events do not occur as anticipated. Ie. The other vehicle suddenly stops. It is extremely dangerous for the pre-collision to blare out an alarm in such moments, interrupting the driver's concentration.

Voice recognition
It's not practical to use because it takes too long to input a command. It should accept a voice command the instant the button is pressed.
99% of the stores to which I wish to navigate are unrecognized.

USB input
Shuffle function plays the same ~30 songs over and over again, from a collection of many thousands of tracks.

Remote engine start/stop from app
Turning off the car when the door is opened is annoying. I don't use it for this reason.

Destination Assist
Why would I call a human being to read off directions from Google Maps when I can just take out my phone? Why in 2018 do we need a person to perform the function of an app?

Navigation Performance
The nav system doesn't have any relevant information about where I want to go. It just lists how many miles away various establishments are. There is no way to know if a Starbucks is inside a mall or a grocery store or in a strip mall, for example. On top of that the nav system chooses poor routes. The display is ugly and primitive. I never use this system.

Seat belt tone
I don't need an aggressive, nonstop beeping sound to instruct me to fasten my seat belt. If I'm capable of spending $100k on a car, I can handle my own seat belt decisions.

Heads-up Display
I would like an option to make the whole heads-up display a large tachometer. The existing one on the hud is too small and imprecise for spirited driving.

Automatic heating/AC controls
The climate control system is more convoluted and difficult to use than any manual climate control system. The automatic A/C turns on when it's cold. To disable the A/C one must dig three menus deep. I find myself constantly changing the temperature from 70 to 80, back to 70 degrees, just to get the seat warmer to turn on without having to use the touch pad.

What NEW features would you like offered on Enform/App Suite?
Completely remove this and replace it with something useful like Android connect.

Last edited by nodeal; 04-17-18 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-11-18, 12:28 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

I had my seatbelt warning disabled at the dealer. It's a personalized setting. Lexus doesn't read those surveys, I quit filling them out, just like everyone else, they just want our money...
Old 04-11-18, 01:24 PM
BobBass
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I haven't had mine long enough to concur with everything but your comments seem valid to me.

One of the reasons I chose the LC over an SL is that the dash on the SL is dated and HUD is not available.

The HUD is somewhat disappointing. The ones in my '15 and '18 BMW X3s were larger and contained more useful info. And, on mine, the display is tilted downward to the right. Anyone else experience that?
Old 04-11-18, 01:52 PM
nodeal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BobBass
The HUD is somewhat disappointing. The ones in my '15 and '18 BMW X3s were larger and contained more useful info. And, on mine, the display is tilted downward to the right. Anyone else experience that?
Do you mean that the display appears crooked? If so there is actually a way to adjust this. You can move it up and down as well as change the angle.

The hud is ok. I try to restrict my criticisms to things that can be fixed without increasing the price of the vehicle, otherwise the critique would be unlimited. But it would be pretty cool if the hud could display a large tach with speed in sport modes. It's hard to tell when to shift from that little tach in the hud, but I like the idea of using it during spirited driving so my eyes never leave the road.
Old 04-11-18, 07:15 PM
BobBass
Intermediate

nodeal,

Do you mean that the display appears crooked? If so there is actually a way to adjust this. You can move it up and down as well as change the angle.
The HUD "box" is not parallel with the horizon or top of dash; it's "cocked" down toward the right. I understand how to raise/lower it to match your seating position, but after looking at the online manual, I don't see a way to correct this misalignment. Doesn't seem to be in personalized settings, either.

Sorry if I'm missing something...wouldn't be the first time.
Old 04-11-18, 07:45 PM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

If it’s crooked, it’s either a warranty issue or your eyes Probably the warranty.
Old 04-12-18, 09:09 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

My heads up display isn't crooked...
Old 04-12-18, 02:06 PM
nodeal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BobBass
nodeal,

The HUD "box" is not parallel with the horizon or top of dash; it's "cocked" down toward the right. I understand how to raise/lower it to match your seating position, but after looking at the online manual, I don't see a way to correct this misalignment. Doesn't seem to be in personalized settings, either.

Sorry if I'm missing something...wouldn't be the first time.
You can change the angle. Although it's really not clear how from the manual, I know the option is in the menus in the gauge cluster area. Better off just looking for it. I seem to recall that the option to move it up and down and change the angle were in different sub-menus!

https://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/d...f/OM11405U.pdf
p. 85-86

Changing settings of the head-up displaySelecton the multi-information dis-play (P.78) to change the followingsettings:Display brightness/positionSelect to adjust the brightness and positionof the head-up display.Eco Driving Indicator/tachometer(LC500)Select to display Eco Driving Indicator,tachometer or no content.Hybrid System Indicator/motorpower display/tachometer(LC500h)Select to display Hybrid System Indicator,tachometer or no content.Motor power display can be displayedwhen Hybrid System Indicator is selectedwhile the driving mode (P.208) is otherthan the eco drive mode.Display contentSelect to enable/disable the followingitems:• Route guidance to destination• Driving assist system status•Compass• Audio system operation statusDisplay angleHead-up display●The head-up display may seem dark andhard to see when viewed through sun-glasses, especially polarized sunglasses.Adjust the brightness of the head-up dis-play or remove your sunglasses.●When the head-up display is turned off, itwill remain off even if the engine switch<power switch> is turned to ACCES-SORY mode or IGNITION ON mode<ON mode> after the engine switch<power switch> has been turned off.●The startup image will be displayed onthe head-up display after the engineswitch <power switch> has been turned toIGNITION ON mode <ON mode> whilethe head-up display switch is set to on.■Display brightnessThe brightness of thehead-up display canbe adjusted onof the multi-informationdisplay. Also, it is automatically adjustedaccording to the ambient brightness.■Head-up display automatic positionadjustmentIf the display position is recorded into mem-ory, the head-up display will be automati-cally adjusted to the desired position.(P.116)■When the 12-volt battery is discon-nectedThe customize settings of the head-up dis-play will be reset.■CustomizationSettings (e.g. display) can be changed.(Customizable features:P.391)
Old 04-12-18, 03:34 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
I had my seatbelt warning disabled at the dealer. It's a personalized setting. Lexus doesn't read those surveys, I quit filling them out, just like everyone else, they just want our money...
Preach

I was part of the focus group for the new LS more than a year ago - they don't care. It's just an exercise to throw away the money we give them on useless endeavors.
Old 04-12-18, 04:57 PM
BobBass
Intermediate

(nodeal: don't mean to turn this into a specific HUD discussion. Maybe I should open a separate discussion on this.)

I guess it depends on the meaning of "angle." I was out driving today and did mess around with the settings but all of a sudden it started to sprinkle...AGAINST the hourly weather forecast from "Accuweather." I hi-tailed it home since this is my "never driven in the rain" car.

ANYWAY, I did get into the HUD position/brightness menu, but as far as I can tell, you can only change the VERTICAL position in the field of view. IF there's another sub-menu, I didn't access it.

Just found this "YouTube" video on the HUD. This shows exactly the options to change that I can access. No sub-menu" mentioned:

Thinking about it some more, it seems the "box" that the display is in might be perfectly aligned/level if you were viewing it from a (non-existent) center seat. However, the dashboard is lower on each side of the car, so if you moved that "box" to the left at that same "level at the center" angle and viewed it from the driver's seat, that box is going to appear "tilted" downward to the right.

I'm going to try and take some pics.

It's not the end of the world and if I can't figure out how to change it, I will certainly bring it up at the first service.

Last edited by BobBass; 04-12-18 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-12-18, 06:30 PM
BobBass
Intermediate

FOUND IT!!!!

It's under

SETTINGS
VEHICLE SETTINGS
HUD ROTATION

I was able to "rotate" it counter-clockwise which SHOULD "level" it out visually. Won't know for sure until I actually drive it.

As Emily Litella would say,
The following 2 users liked this post by BobBass:
Oilman (04-12-18), Thorne (04-12-18)
Old 04-13-18, 03:37 PM
nodeal
Driver School Candidate

One lesser known Lexus innovation has been to gamify its user interfaces so that owners (players) can experience the thrill of discovering basic options as they dig deeper into the incomprehensible labyrinth of sub-menus over years of ownership.
The following users liked this post:
redhot47fl (11-28-20)
Old 04-13-18, 05:31 PM
BobBass
Intermediate

Yes. Why couldn't they have included the ROTATION adjustment with the HUD BRIGHTNESS and POSITION section where it belongs?

Our first Toyota was an '82 Camry and I swear, they are always a "generation behind" the latest electronic gizmos offered by the other major manufacturers. I always looked at it that they spent more time, effort, and $ maintaining their "bulletproof reliability" reputation rather than upgrading their "bells & whistles." Since the LC is new for 2017-18, they should have had their act together better.

BMW was hammered for YEARS about the iDrive interface. It evolved enough by 2015 that it was decent and is now EXCELLENT on my '18 X3.

BTW, I entered an address into the NAV by voice today and it got it right the first time. Of course, you need to know the PRECISE address.
Old 04-17-18, 11:28 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nodeal
I decided to fill out a survey Lexus sent me. Any ideas to work around the climate control issues?
I hope you are not as dissatisfied with your car as this list implies.. Just a couple of comments from my POV.
I have mine in concierge for heating/ac and rarely have needed to make adjustments. If too hot, use voice (I know you don't like it's speed, but it usually works fairly well - if not, repeat or rephrase) and say something like "I'm hot" or "lower the temperature"
The advantage of having destination assist is that you can use it while driving, minimizing the distraction. Also, with a person to speak to, you can drill down to specifics more easily.
In any case, despite the negatives, I hope you are enjoying the many positives of the LC
Old 04-25-18, 09:24 AM
Lc50
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my “old” seating position, hud does display to the right of screen. There’s no horizontal screen adjustment feature as you would see on your flat screen TV. Since I’ve been driving a SC430 for years, I’m thinking that my new LC seating position is different. Best way to check is to place your hands (equal distance) on steering wheel, with left on 10 o’clock and right on 2 o’clock. Then look at HUD. It should be centered. My preferred position is left hand on 12 o’clock with my right elbow on center console. When I switch to my preferred position, HUD is displayed to the right of screen. Maybe the Takumi engineers are telling us to sit in a ergonomically correct driving position. If that’s true, point taken, but I’ll live with a right positioned HUD.

Quick Reply: Lexus Survey responses