LC Model (2018-present)

Ride smoothness with the 21" wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-18, 11:24 PM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BobBass
Thanks for all the input. It has become a moot point because today I put money down on a LOADED LC 500.

Picking it up Monday and I'll experience the ride on the way back home. The next four days are gonna be TORTURE. We're going away this weekend and I just couldn't work the delivery in before then.

First time I've entered this "level" of vehicle. Hey...you only go around once.
Congratulations and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. My sales guy said there was no break-in period, but the manual states to avoid hard braking for the first 150 or so miles, and no red lining till more than 650 miles, so take it easy at first. Enjoy!
The following users liked this post:
BobBass (03-29-18)
Old 03-29-18, 04:07 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for that advice, but rest assured, I am OLD SCHOOL when it comes to breaking in vehicles. It's always a problem for me when doing a test drive. The LC 500 I drove only had 65 miles on it and I just could not bring myself to really push it. Then again, I didn't have to...I could sense the power potential.

There are a lot of links on engine break-in, but this one follows conventional wisdom:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...s-engine-.html
ziggy1 (04-02-18)
Old 04-02-18, 07:48 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Enjoyed reading the link, and like you, wonder about what people do when taking test drives in cars off the lot. My dealership had a special test drive LC 500 which I was told that Lexus would not allow them to sell, so I didn't feel too bad about pushing it during my test drives. I also cringe when I watch those YouTube videos where a car from a dealership is used to demo the exhaust note by revving, etc. I even wonder if the cars have been allowed to warm up before running them like that.
Also, it I'm correct, today is your pickup day, so congratulations again and have a great time with your new car!
Old 04-02-18, 08:32 AM
BobBass
Pole Position

YES! Leaving in about an hour. Only fly on the windshield is that IT SNOWED HERE THIS MORNING. However, I'm hoping for maybe some damp spots on roads but mostly dry.
Old 05-22-18, 04:54 PM
pL86
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

YES! Leaving in about an hour. Only fly on the windshield is that IT SNOWED HERE THIS MORNING. However, I'm hoping for maybe some damp spots on roads but mostly dry.
Hi BobBass, would you mind giving an update on how your car has been with the 21" wheels? I'm in the Main Line Philadelphia area, which may be in the same area as you, and am debating the 20" vs 21" wheels. I took a test drive at Wilkie Lexus with 20" wheels but didn't take out the 21" car that they also have in stock. I'm not sure what you can really learn from a 30 minute drive anyway so I put a lot more stock in an owner's opinion.
Old 05-24-18, 07:06 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

pL86,

I'm perfectly happy with the ride on the 21" wheels in Comfort Mode. Many of the YouTube videos make mention of how surprisingly "tame" the ride can be in Comfort Mode and I was skeptical. Sure, if you accidentally hit or can't avoid a pothole you're going to feel it, but in general the ride is just fine. There is a noticeable difference moving to "Normal" and the "Sport" modes, but that is to be expected and desirable if you're going for handling over ride comfort. And, I honestly don't think that a half inch more rubber is going to make much difference, anyway.

I stopped by "Wilkie" once to check out the difference in seats. They offered to let me test drive one while there but I don't really know those "Main Line" roads well enough. Plus, my dealer is "Chester Springs," although I ended up getting it at "Lehigh Valley" in Allentown because they had the EXACT color combo I wanted.

Good Luck!

BTW, I have yet to see an LC on the roads around here. It's a very rare vehicle which is kinda cool.
pL86 (05-25-18)
Old 05-25-18, 08:20 AM
pL86
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

pL86,

I'm perfectly happy with the ride on the 21" wheels in Comfort Mode. Many of the YouTube videos make mention of how surprisingly "tame" the ride can be in Comfort Mode and I was skeptical. Sure, if you accidentally hit or can't avoid a pothole you're going to feel it, but in general the ride is just fine. There is a noticeable difference moving to "Normal" and the "Sport" modes, but that is to be expected and desirable if you're going for handling over ride comfort. And, I honestly don't think that a half inch more rubber is going to make much difference, anyway.

I stopped by "Wilkie" once to check out the difference in seats. They offered to let me test drive one while there but I don't really know those "Main Line" roads well enough. Plus, my dealer is "Chester Springs," although I ended up getting it at "Lehigh Valley" in Allentown because they had the EXACT color combo I wanted.

Good Luck!

BTW, I have yet to see an LC on the roads around here. It's a very rare vehicle which is kinda cool.
Thanks for the follow up, it's good to hear the 21" wheels are working out. I'm leaning toward the bigger wheels, mainly because I think the car looks better with them, which is important for me because 90% of my interest in the LC 500 is its appearance. It's too bad the tire options are so limited in that size, only three run-flats are listed on tirerack.

Now to settle on color - the lighter colors like white, atomic silver and liquid platinum show off the lines of the car really well but I think too bland? The dark colors like smoky granite mica are sexy paints but swallow up the curves too much, I'm afraid the car doesn't look as unique as it really is with the dark paints. I think infrared/tan is a great, classic combo, but might be too flashy for me. In other territories, there's a second red paint called garnet red mica that is a darker red that I would pick if it were available here. I also found a few structural blue cars at some dealership that I might take a road trip to see in person. I'm really keen to see how the structural blue's blue/white/orange interior looks in person.

I may head out to your area to stop by the dealers there. The salesperson at Wilkie Lexus I've been dealing with is sub-par and really turned me off to the dealership. He doesn't know the car - he told me one of the standalone option could only be ordered with a package and never replied when I pointed out the option was listed as standalone in the online build tool - so I'm not inclined to give my order to Wilkie. Any recommendation on dealers would be welcome.

And I also haven't seen an LC 500 on the road in our corner of PA.

Last edited by pL86; 05-25-18 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-25-18, 12:27 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Regarding color choice, I lean towards metallic reds/maroon, especially when it comes to sports cars. My '09 Vette was Crimson Red Metallic, very similar to the Infrared. You'd be surprised how many people comment on the color. I had one guy come up to me at a "Wawa" and wanted to know the color because he's re-doing a Camaro.

The other thing is the Infrared/Toasted Caramel was the one Lexus had on display at the Philly Auto Show. I didn't even know the car existed...was seriously looking at an SL, but MB only had a USED SL up on a pedestal which wasn't detailed very well and you couldn't even sit in it! The LC just GRABBED you as you walked into the Lexus/MB section of the show. Bit me BIG TIME.

The Structural Blue is probably fabulous in person. I have yet to see it. Already have a BMW X3 in Phytonic Blue, so that wouldn't have been an option for me even if it was available.

As far as knowledgeable salespeople on the LC goes, most are probably rusty on it. They don't sell many around here and just aren't that familiar with them. Looking at the current inventory at Chester Springs, they must have sold the one they had in mica blue and now have NONE. Lehigh Valley (Allentown) only has one in Nightfall Mica.

I spent a lot of time on AutoTrader and actually going to dealer websites to check out their inventory. I was very lucky Lehigh Valley had the color combo I wanted and they're only an hour away from me.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-15-21, 04:47 PM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Anyone put spinners on their LC?
Old 06-15-21, 05:05 PM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Received 465 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by azmojo
No - but I did put some on my private jet!!

Old 06-15-21, 08:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by azmojo

DRGibbons (06-15-21)
Old 06-28-21, 04:29 PM
ISellHomes
Rookie

Received 30 Likes on 6 Posts

I went from a 2015 M-B CLS550 with 19" AMG wheels to my LC500 with the 21" wheels. I certainly expected a harsher ride but was totally surprised to see the LC actually ride better than the Benz. I have no idea why other than the 19" AMG's had a very low profile tire compared to the taller sidewall of the LC. And the ride quality was even better in comfort mode, which I am rarely ever in......
Old 06-29-21, 08:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by ISellHomes
I went from a 2015 M-B CLS550 with 19" AMG wheels to my LC500 with the 21" wheels. I certainly expected a harsher ride but was totally surprised to see the LC actually ride better than the Benz. I have no idea why other than the 19" AMG's had a very low profile tire compared to the taller sidewall of the LC. And the ride quality was even better in comfort mode, which I am rarely ever in......
lexus did quite a lot of work for the '21 model year too in reducing unsprung weight, changing other component parts, including bushings, increasing suspension travel, etc., which all improved ride comfort and competence. It's pretty remarkable.
Old 06-29-21, 12:06 PM
Exhilr8n
Intermediate

Received 210 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lexus did quite a lot of work for the '21 model year too in reducing unsprung weight, changing other component parts, including bushings, increasing suspension travel, etc., which all improved ride comfort and competence. It's pretty remarkable.
This is one smooth vehicle. Luxury floaty vehicles are not in much of my experience but this car is just smooth in everything it does.
Old 05-26-22, 11:08 AM
sdot415
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know if it's possible to order just the 21-in black wheels from the Bespoke LC500?

Quick Reply: Ride smoothness with the 21" wheels?