LC Model (2018-present)

Top Gear: Lexus LC500 vs Civic Type R (S25E3 Teaser)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-18, 06:18 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Default Top Gear: Lexus LC500 vs Civic Type R (S25E3 Teaser)

The following users liked this post:
Oilman (03-12-18)
Old 03-12-18, 01:27 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Funny...I was channel surfing last night and came across the last minute of this segment, just enough to see that the LC 500 was part of it. I looked to see if it would be rerun and sure enough, BBC ran the show again at 1AM Monday morning, which I DVRd.

"Top Gear" is not something I've watched since the original trio stopped doing it. This was OK and interesting for any LC 500 fans. I will not divulge any spoilers here.

It is Season 25, Episode 3, which is not available on "FiOS On Demand" as of my post.
Old 03-13-18, 04:33 PM
testmetest
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that was a very uninspired production from Top Gear. I've seen better YouTube videos about the LC500 than this.

To put things in perspective, Lexus has never built a car like this. It represents a new market for them. And Top Gear barely paid any attention to it. They could have really educated the masses about this car. But they didn't. They chose a simple paint by number skit instead.

No comment on the looks? No crane shot of the beautiful lines? No comment on it's head turner status followed by lingering shots so the viewer can absorb it's beauty? Even if they disagree, no comment other other way?

Did they even mention Lexus positions this in as a grand tourer?

Bleh.

They wanted a $40,000 rice burner to beat a $100,000 luxury grand tourer, but didn't even set that up correctly.

To make the audience care about the stakes, they need to build the Lexus up. Which they didn't do. Talk about the build quality, talk about the manufacturing process for the naturally aspirated V8. Talk about the high RPM redline, something! Talk about the hours it takes to put the leather on the shift ****. Say how great it is, then bring this rice burner along to beat it. But they couldn't even do that. So a layman (so to speak) wouldn't give a crap one way or another the way they presented it.

Lame.

Sure, I like the LC500. But this was poor production. It's like Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Seems fun(ish) in the theater, but man, did that movie **** things up.
Old 03-13-18, 06:45 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys are taking it too seriously, it's just entertainment. And if I may add current Top Gear beats Grand Tour to a pulp.

As far as the comparison goes Honda has built such a magnificent track car, too bad none of it will trickle down to Acura anytime soon. I think Honda's premium badge would benefit from awesome FWD underpinnings and knowledge that was gained from Type-R.
Old 03-15-18, 10:23 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Yeah, this was just for s h! t and giggles, hardly to be taken seriously.

I knew comparing a civic to the LC was setting up for a low expectation anyways

Is the Type R that stiff b/c the guy was bouncing up and down like crazy

Originally Posted by testmetest
Wow, that was a very uninspired production from Top Gear. I've seen better YouTube videos about the LC500 than this.

To put things in perspective, Lexus has never built a car like this. It represents a new market for them. And Top Gear barely paid any attention to it. They could have really educated the masses about this car. But they didn't. They chose a simple paint by number skit instead.

No comment on the looks? No crane shot of the beautiful lines? No comment on it's head turner status followed by lingering shots so the viewer can absorb it's beauty? Even if they disagree, no comment other other way?

Bleh.

They wanted a $40,000 rice burner to beat a $100,000 luxury grand tourer, but didn't even set that up correctly.

To make the audience care about the stakes, they need to build the Lexus up. Which they didn't do. Talk about the build quality, talk about the manufacturing process for the naturally aspirated V8. Talk about the high RPM redline, something! Talk about the hours it takes to put the leather on the shift ****. Say how great it is, then bring this rice burner along to beat it. But they couldn't even do that. So a layman (so to speak) wouldn't give a crap one way or another the way they presented it.

Lame.

Sure, I like the LC500. But this was poor production. It's like Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Seems fun(ish) in the theater, but man, did that movie **** things up.
Old 03-17-18, 11:09 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

That episode was not as bad when you compare to Clarkson's review of RCF, which was a travesty. I did not know much about the RCF at the time and being a fan of Clarkson, I hated the car based on how he portrayed it.

I decided to give it a chance and drove it myself. I was blown away with the car based on my personal experiences. I turned it tighter and harder with TVD in track mode and the more throttle I applied, the harder the nose turned in. That was the turning point where I knew Clarkson greatly exaggerated things. I chose to purchase that exact same RCF the very same day.

Originally Posted by testmetest

Bleh.

Lame.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-17-18 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-17-18, 11:16 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Lap video

Old 03-18-18, 02:12 PM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just got to watch the show and something struck me as curious. They mention rear steering, but I saw noevidence of rear wing deployment in the video. I was under the impression that the wing and rear steering came together with the performance package. If so, their car didn't have it. Perhaps the options packages vary country to country. Would the steering and downforce created by the wing have made any difference?
They also stated that the lap times around their track "under poor conditions" were equal for both cars and came toward the bottom of their list.
Old 03-18-18, 08:50 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Saw the episode. Production values were awful. Terribly shot. The head-to-head race looked staged considering on the last straight, LC500 was reeling it back quickly. The finish line was just when LC500 pulled about even.

Also, they never showed the Stig lap of the two cars (at least, the version I saw on BBC). Apparently, LC500 and Civic Type R both ran exactly the same time. I would expect the LC500 to be quicker by a few tenths considering Top Gear race track is a high speed race track that favors the higher horsepower car if the cars are about even in the corners (which they were).

Sachsenring track (AutoBild) is another example which is a high speed, very technical track. With the same test driver, the Civic Type R was 2/10th slower than LC500.

LC500 - 1:41
RCF TVD - 1:39.5
Civic Type R - 1:41.2

LC500

RCF

Civic Type

Old 03-19-18, 05:35 PM
Hoppean
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

To be fair the Civic Type-R is one corker of a car and if it didn’t look absolutely grotesque and cheap, I might feel the need to have one, too. Also, for once we have a UK made sports car whose engine/electronics will probably not **** themselves after 20K miles, so I can see why TopGear got a little patriotic about it. That being said, it’s not even close to the LC in any regard and the racing bit looks scripted as usual.
Old 03-19-18, 10:09 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoppean
To be fair the Civic Type-R is one corker of a car and if it didn’t look absolutely grotesque and cheap, I might feel the need to have one, too. Also, for once we have a UK made sports car whose engine/electronics will probably not **** themselves after 20K miles, so I can see why TopGear got a little patriotic about it. That being said, it’s not even close to the LC in any regard and the racing bit looks scripted as usual.
Did not think about the patriotic angle, but it makes total sense. All of these Type R are built in Swindon, England and the review looks biased in favor of Type R especially the head-to-head race where Stig was drifting through the corners and the final straight showed LC500 reeling the Type R in quickly and pulled about even just at the finish line for a photo finish. All of it looked very staged and fake.