Navigation Hell

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-18, 05:53 PM
nodeal
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Angry Navigation Hell

"Find a Sprouts"[lists Sbrarros]
"Find a Fry's"[lists TGIFridays] (Only off by four syllables!)

Out of dozens of attempts, the navigation system of the LC500 has successfully located a grand total of one place I needed by voice command. The only other way to locate a destination is to type the characters of the name or address by moving a mouse cursor via mouse pad, which is not even practical while parked, let alone while driving. It's more tedious than T9 texting.

The voice command "Go home" does reliably start navigation home. However today when I used this, it led me on a 40-minute odyssey down every under-construction back road it could find. Google Maps had brought me to that location in 23 minutes via the highway.

By default on my system, there were so many POI icons that the entire map was covered in fast food logos so that the roads were totally obscured. Fortunately these can be turned off. But it still shows thousands of little dots everywhere, because it is really important to have a visual indication of all fast food restaurants at all times.

It's also very difficult to move the map around. Sometimes map flicks work, most of the time the cursor just moves around and nothing happens. Recently the map started dragging with my finger instead of moving the cursor, which was great, but who knows how that happened. In order to figure this out I will likely have to park somewhere and mess with it for a half hour.

This navigation system is so bad it is shocking. I think if there were an easy way to enter a destination (that works) that would be a start. I almost wish I could just use my phone's keyboard to enter text. Or even spell out words via voice command.

Are there any tricks that would be helpful? Any software upgrades in the pipeline? Has anyone hacked the system (or maybe other Lexus systems) to add functionality? Are there aftermarket systems that could replace this god-awful thing?
The following users liked this post:
NJDRIVER (09-28-19)
Old 01-11-18, 06:14 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by nodeal

Out of dozens of attempts, the navigation system of the LC500 has successfully located a grand total of one place I needed by voice command. The only other way to locate a destination is to type the characters of the name or address by moving a mouse cursor via mouse pad, which is not even practical while parked, let alone while driving. It's more tedious than T9 texting.

The voice command "Go home" does reliably start navigation home. However today when I used this, it led me on a 40-minute odyssey down every under-construction back road it could find. Google Maps had brought me to that location in 23 minutes via the highway.

By default on my system, there were so many POI icons that the entire map was covered in fast food logos so that the roads were totally obscured. Fortunately these can be turned off. But it still shows thousands of little dots everywhere, because it is really important to have a visual indication of all fast food restaurants at all times.

It's also very difficult to move the map around. Sometimes map flicks work, most of the time the cursor just moves around and nothing happens. Recently the map started dragging with my finger instead of moving the cursor, which was great, but who knows how that happened. In order to figure this out I will likely have to park somewhere and mess with it for a half hour.

This navigation system is so bad it is shocking. I think if there were an easy way to enter a destination (that works) that would be a start. I almost wish I could just use my phone's keyboard to enter text. Or even spell out words via voice command.

Are there any tricks that would be helpful? Any software upgrades in the pipeline? Has anyone hacked the system (or maybe other Lexus systems) to add functionality? Are there aftermarket systems that could replace this god-awful thing?
You need to check the defaults and set them as you like. I too was directed a hour out of my way the first time I used it. Turns out "avoid toll roads" was turned on (and my shortest route home happened to be a toll road). Check the default settings and make sure they're what you expect. I've never had luck with voice control on any system unless I spent the time to learn which commands the system understands - which I don't care enough to do. The touchpad system takes time to become comfortable with. It's not the navigation system that sucks... It's learning how to make the user interface work for you that takes some time. Once you get the defaults to where you want them, and you get your destination info entered, it works reliably - like any other Toyota Nav system.
nodeal (01-12-18)
Old 01-11-18, 06:24 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

This reminded me of the following SNL video - which isn't far from my experience with voice-command...

asinow (12-12-19)
Old 01-12-18, 02:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

You need BIG companies or generalizations. Like I tried Cheesecake factory, its not in the data base.

General Ex. ATMS, BANKS, AIRPORTS it can find
Specific Ex. McDonalds, Starbucks, Bank of America, Chevron

A member said it above, but your preferences probably were not set to allow 'Freeways'. Toll Roads, Border Crossings etc..

The POI's can be chosen and hidden, and new ones selected. The dots are just the 'route trace'. Simply turn them off. Same location as POIs.

Look into 'Beat Sonic USA .com'. They tend to specialize in Toyota / Lexus with modules that plug into the infotainment that simulate the car is in park when it really isn't, allowing you to use all the locked out features. They are a vendor on these forums if i'm not mistaken.
nodeal (01-12-18)
Old 01-12-18, 05:50 PM
nodeal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by uchujin
You need to check the defaults and set them as you like. I too was directed a hour out of my way the first time I used it. Turns out "avoid toll roads" was turned on (and my shortest route home happened to be a toll road).
Thanks for the suggestion to change the toll road option. This option is extremely difficult to find and it took me forever. If anyone else is interested, you must first create a route and change the preferences for that route. These changes do persist for future routes.

Check the default settings and make sure they're what you expect. I've never had luck with voice control on any system unless I spent the time to learn which commands the system understands - which I don't care enough to do.
"Find a _____" is a voice command right out of the manual. It works for some destinations, but not most. There doesn't appear to be any pattern as to which destinations are recognized and which aren't.

The touchpad system takes time to become comfortable with. It's not the navigation system that sucks... It's learning how to make the user interface work for you that takes some time. Once you get the defaults to where you want them, and you get your destination info entered, it works reliably - like any other Toyota Nav system.
The touch pad is objectively less efficient than a touch screen--by a lot. No amount of practice can change this. It's the difference between dragging around a mouse cursor to slowly type out a word and directly pressing the keys. It is a disastrous interface that is deeply disappointing. It is reliable--reliably terrible, but I hope some changes can mitigate the need to use Google Maps on my phone all the time.
NJDRIVER (09-28-19)
Old 01-12-18, 05:59 PM
nodeal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
You need BIG companies or generalizations. Like I tried Cheesecake factory, its not in the data base.

General Ex. ATMS, BANKS, AIRPORTS it can find
Specific Ex. McDonalds, Starbucks, Bank of America, Chevron
The establishments I'm searching for do appear in the database when I type them out. But by voice command it never finds them. And it will reliably find TGIFridays, for example, when I ask for Fry's. That's weird. Of all places it worked when I asked for Kohl's. Are they bigger than Fry's?

A member said it above, but your preferences probably were not set to allow 'Freeways'. Toll Roads, Border Crossings etc..
Yes, thanks, as I just mentioned I think where they decided to place this option is a little bizarre.

The POI's can be chosen and hidden, and new ones selected. The dots are just the 'route trace'. Simply turn them off. Same location as POIs.
Huh. Interesting. I just spent a while messing with this thing and I'm pretty sure I tried turning that off and it didn't make a difference. I'll try again. The utility of ten thousand dots on my route is definitely lost on me though. Doesn't it also highlight the route like Google? Edit: Turning off "Route Trace" has made the map so much less chaotic. Huge improvement! Thanks.

Look into 'Beat Sonic USA .com'. They tend to specialize in Toyota / Lexus with modules that plug into the infotainment that simulate the car is in park when it really isn't, allowing you to use all the locked out features. They are a vendor on these forums if i'm not mistaken.
I haven't had any features I need disabled while driving. I just really want Google Maps and some sort of connection to my phone to enter destinations.

Last edited by nodeal; 01-13-18 at 09:17 AM.
NJDRIVER (09-28-19)
Old 01-12-18, 07:14 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Not to state the obvious, but why not use Scout GPS Link?
Old 01-12-18, 07:46 PM
nodeal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TimboIS
How? I messed with it for a few minutes, but could not get it to connect. Subsequent research yielded no evidence that it even works with the LC.

Edit: "Scout GPS Link is available on select 2017 model year vehicles (NX, RX, RC, ES, IS)" http://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answe...kw/scout%20gps

Last edited by nodeal; 01-13-18 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-14-18, 01:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The establishments I'm searching for do appear in the database when I type them out. But by voice command it never finds them. And it will reliably find TGIFridays, for example, when I ask for Fry's. That's weird. Of all places it worked when I asked for Kohl's. Are they bigger than Fry's?
When you type them yes, sorry I meant the Voice data bank is limited in what's there to say. And to my knowledge Fry's is small. I only know of one in Fremont CA, and Concord, CA. Try Best Buy, i'm curious if that's there.

Yes, thanks, as I just mentioned I think where they decided to place this option is a little bizarre.
Not the most intuitive huh. Lots of hidden menu's

Huh. Interesting. I just spent a while messing with this thing and I'm pretty sure I tried turning that off and it didn't make a difference. I'll try again. The utility of ten thousand dots on my route is definitely lost on me though. Doesn't it also highlight the route like Google? Edit: Turning off "Route Trace" has made the map so much less chaotic. Huge improvement! Thanks.
When you un-select route trace, it should ask if you want to 'keep' the previous trace. Make sure to select no. Funny it's like ginger bread crumbs. Tells everyone where you've been

I haven't had any features I need disabled while driving. I just really want Google Maps and some sort of connection to my phone to enter destinations.
As much as I hate to say, you'll have to get a new vehicle in a few years for that. Lexus doesn't ever do backwards compatible updates. Amazon Alexa is coming to Lexus starting a few select 2018 models (Enform 2.0 equipped) if I'm not mistaken. Good news Apple CarPlay will be coming very soon. It will debut on the 2019 ES and then models afterward. Bad news Android Auto there is no word. Lexus is late to the party in regards to those two technologies because both Apple and Google were asking for too much user data. Well a few months ago Lexus and Apple finalized and signed a contract adding CarPlay with far less data collection than the competition. So I do applaud Lexus for not bending over in that regard. Hopefully Lexus can figure out something with Google's Android Auto.

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Scout is only available on Non-Navigation equipped models. LC's come with NAV. But yeah it's really only available on the IS, NX, ES, RX. It's junk though, very misleading as there is no 'navigation' it's simply turn by turn directions aka arrows on your screen pointing left, right, and straight. Basically it's mapquest.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hoovey689:
guanche2k9 (01-14-18), nodeal (01-14-18)
Old 09-28-19, 10:54 AM
NJDRIVER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agree with Nodeal in Navigation Hell

Nodeal is saying everything I feel. OMG.
Old 09-28-19, 11:18 AM
nodeal
Driver School Candidate

Red face Update

I have since purchased a cheap/used iPhone 5 SE ($60 on Ebay) to get Google Maps on the screen via Apple Carplay. (Update to LC nav required.) I leave this phone in my LC permanently, as my normal phone is Android. Now I reliably have Google Maps on my screen at all times. Aesthetically, this has improved my life because at least I don't have to look at that eye-bleach Lexus navigation anymore.

However, this phone does not have a data plan. My other phone has a hotspot quick-toggle if I want to actually use the Carplay features other than a basic Google map. It's pretty easy to get them connected without looking. But that's obviously not ideal. Siri is ok with voice direction, but doesn't always understand the address I say. I still use my Android for navigation.

Unexpectedly, Siri turned out to be an excellent way to manage music. Turn on the data connection, say a song or artist, and it plays. Too bad I don't listen to music in my LC often.
Old 09-28-19, 02:23 PM
NJDRIVER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow you really went to some bother to get that navigation. I'm just going to use Google maps without Bluetooth, like I did in my old car. Wow.
Old 09-28-19, 02:31 PM
nodeal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NJDRIVER
Wow you really went to some bother to get that navigation. I'm just going to use Google maps without Bluetooth, like I did in my old car. Wow.
Making the 105k I spent on this car was "some bother". Plugging a phone into a usb port was not.
NJDRIVER (09-28-19)
Old 09-28-19, 02:40 PM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 312 Likes on 180 Posts

Man, I really hope Lexus listens to their customers and seriously attempts to retrofit older models (post 2018) containing Enform 2.0, (like our LC's) with Android Auto. I'm in the same boat, and hoping they get this done by this year.
NJDRIVER (09-28-19)
Old 09-28-19, 06:19 PM
Exhilr8n
Intermediate

Received 210 Likes on 121 Posts

Can not imagine actually using the onboard nav in any car on earth.

Forgive yourself for trying and use something designed by people who do software, not cars.

Quick Reply: Navigation Hell